View Full Version : Ab-initio flying training

TLAW
30th May 2007, 02:21
With regard to AIP ENR 105 (81.4) Ab-initio flying training at an aerodrome
Can anyone point me in the direction of the definition of Ab-initio flying training? I can't find it in the definitions section. Is it defined in a different act or something?
Thanks in advance!

Dashtrash
30th May 2007, 11:04
It's been a while but from memory it is listed in the DayVFR syllabus. I believe all sequences up to the GFPT are classed as ab-initio.
Generally speaking that was what used to be the accepted definition.

TLAW
30th May 2007, 21:48
If pressed that would have been my definition as well, I just can't seem to find it written down anywhere. I've searched the current DayVFR syllabus and I can't find it in there either.:confused:

training wheels
31st May 2007, 01:28
If pressed that would have been my definition as well, I just can't seem to find it written down anywhere. I've searched the current DayVFR syllabus and I can't find it in there either.:confused:

Just curious, but why do you need this defined in writing?

scrambler
31st May 2007, 07:34
Main Entry: ab in·i·tio
Pronunciation: \ˌab-ə-ˈni-shē-ˌō\
Function: adverb
Etymology: Latin
Date: 1599
: from the beginning

http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ab%20initio

Hence defined as training from the beginning.

The question is when does it stop? An uneducated guess would put it as when the student no longer requires supervision. Possibly once they achieve PPL level? Interesting question. Would be nice to know the correct answer.

Unhinged
31st May 2007, 07:58
I've always treated it as up-to-but-not-including PPL Navs, but don't have currently have conclusive proof for this interpretation.

There is a hint given by a couple of sections in CAO 40.1.7 which set out the authority given by a Grade 3 Instructor Rating. Subsection 9.1 (c) says " ... elementary instruction as defined in subparagraph (b) of paragraph 4.2"

and then 4.2 (b) says "...instructing in other than the navigational sequences specified in the aeroplane syllabus that are relevant to the private pilot (aeroplane) licence"

So if "elementary instruction" and "ab initio flying training" mean the same thing, then Dashtrash and TLAW have it right. Otherwise ... who knows ?? !

Unhinged
31st May 2007, 08:12
This CASA Discussion Paper: http://rrp.casa.gov.au/archive/documents/dp0005fs.pdf
includes some formal and informal definitions which support the up-to-GFPT approach, including this:

"Ab-initio Initial basic flying training"

and this:

" some examples of instructor authorisations:
• Ab-initio flying training
• Navigation training
• Basic Instrument flying
• Night Flying
......"