PDA

View Full Version : Lost your medical?

questions4you2007
30th May 2007, 00:41
I have recently discovered something a little annoying that i fear might result in either me voluntarily going sick for an extended period, or if not, perhaps getting flagged on my next medical renewal.

I would be expecting that I might be off work for as much as a couple of years according to what im hearing elsewhere, but would not expect it to cause me to be off work forever.

Have you or has anyone you know been off work for a number of years? If yes i would love to hear from you. What are the main reasons for extended periods off? What will DAME's consider ok in a couple of years time if you subsequently return to normal health? PM's ok.

A little concerned,

Cheers

air med
30th May 2007, 01:14
Hello.
I have been off work now for 6 months and after a heap of treatment, my doctor has cleared me to go back to work,did the aviation medical,only to be told more information required, informed my doctor of this,he wrote back to inform them what they wanted, letter came back more information required,CASA take a very dim veiw of guys that have had long breaks off and can make it difficult.
Hope everything goes ok

Capt Claret
30th May 2007, 05:01
In the late 80's I knew a bloke in Bundaberg who's son had lost his medical. The poor bugga had flown most of the day in Central Western QLD, not drunk enough water, not eaten, and fainted in the queue at the snack bar at Rocky airport.

The then regulator wouldn't let him fly for two (I think) years, because they couldn't find a definitive cause for the one-off faint. He had to attend independent neurologists to get the all clear before the regulator would issue a Class 1 medical, but they did in the end, and I think the chap concerned now files a white rat around.

rodney rude
31st May 2007, 01:25
AIRMED,

Please don't make sweeping general statements which are not true. ie CASA take a dim view of guys who have had long breaks off.

That is very much not true. Maybe in your case more information was asked for and it seemed a bit painful for you. But that is not enough justification to make a damaging sweeping statement regarding medical case which have their own particular nuances and their own particular criteria for medical renewal.

My own case was particularly nasty, Starts with C, and CASA were magnificent. The DAMEs there were approachable, helpful and very understanding. Whatever ailment one has, they have seen it and dealt with it before, and as such know the risks you face and the potential impacts of being reinstated to flying status. As one of the DAMEs said to me, "our aim is to get you back in the air, not to keep you grounded, as the ill advised cynics will have you believe.

Your case had its nuances, but it is very unfair to say they take a dim view.

Rod

Hugh Jarse
31st May 2007, 05:18
I have just gone back to work following nearly 2 years off. There was a problem getting my medical back, but not related to the injury that put me off work.

As far as getting reinstated for the injury, all I had to provide was a report from the surgeon describing the work done, and an opinion of the effect the injury would have on flying. Simple.

The DAME then reviewed the report and carried out his own functionality checks as part of a normal medical renewal, and recommended full reinstatement. That was it.

He was unable to revalidate on the spot (rubber stamp) as it has to go to CASA.

The problem that arises here is that if you are in the group that requires an ECG, your medical WILL be delayed for approx 3 weeks while it goes to a Cardiologist for analysis.

If you have to deal with AVMED, I suggest you speak directly to the assessor dealing with your case. The clerk who picks up the phone is generally useless, and in my case gave me incorrect information regarding the delay.

Good luck.:ok: