PDA

View Full Version : MEP Departure Brief

BlueRobin
29th May 2007, 22:23
Hi

I need to cook up a departure brief suitable for a MEP type on a CPL skills test.

Does the following past muster? Any suggestions, additions, errors etc gratefully received.

{state intentions}
e.g.
Today we are departing on runway 36 to the West at 3000 feet

If during the takeoff roll we have an emergency and I have not yet rotated, I will close both throttles and bring the aircraft to a halt on the runway.

If there is an emergency e.g. an engine failure or engine fire, after I have rotated and the landing gear is still down, I will carry out a landing back onto the runway if there is sufficient room. If there is insufficient room remaining, I will carry out a forced landing into a suitable field off aerodrome.

However if the emergency occurs after the landing gear comes up, I will carry out a visual circuit to land back onto the runway.

Should it be necessary, I would like you to vacate the aircraft on my command to the rear and away from the propellers.

The surface wind today is...., which is within the max demonstrated crosswind of ... knots for this aircraft type.

The runway length is ... metres and our take-off run today is ... metres.

Rob's Dad
29th May 2007, 22:47
BR

looks good. I used following after power checks (pax brief already done on ramp so not required again) and before lining up.

Takeoff runway today is xx and the wind is (eg) a slight cross-wind from the right. I will accelerate to my rotation speed of xx knots: any malfunction before that speed I will abort the take-off and remain on the runway. After rotation I will accelerate to my climb speed of xx knots. If there is any malfunction after rotation but the undercarriage is down I will land straight ahead: if the undercarriage is up I will take the malfunction into the air and carry out the appropriate drill in accordance with the checklists. Any questions?

So yours is more detailed than I got away with.

RD

Deano777
29th May 2007, 22:54
BR I used this for mine

"this is a runway xx departure from the left hand seat, with a right/left turn to the north west climbing to 3,000ft, the wind is from the left, but it is well within crosswind limits. The runway length is not limiting.
Any problems below xxkts (rotate) I will bring the aircraft to a complete stop on the runway, if we are above xxkts (add your rotate speed here) and below xxkts (add Vyse here) I will attempt to land back on if sufficient runway remains, if not I will attempt to land ahead in a field, if we are above xxkts (Vyse) I will complete an asymmetric circuit to land. I will remain in control at all times unless otherwise advised, any questions?"

I think the important thing is to keep it simple and to the point, there is no point elaborating on things that do not need elaborating on, and remember if your engine failure is below Vyse you are not going to climb into the circuit.
The brief is more to do with running through things in your head so you have thought about what you would do "if", also when you get to do your IR it acts as a small revision on the procedures you will use, so should help to settle you down etc.

That's it :)

Dean

helimutt
29th May 2007, 22:56
Just find the company ops manual who you are training with. It should have recommended departure brief. Can't see a company putting you up for CPL skills test without a full briefing being demo'd to you beforehand.

If in doubt, give the obvious. Rwy you'll be using, what you'll do in case of emergency before TDP, after TDP etc. (V1 etc) Pretty much covered in your brief above.

tailwheel76
30th May 2007, 10:25
Just ideas, and I'm assuming 2 engines...

Do you need to apply the parking brake once stopped on the runway so you don't freewheel onto the grass?

With an engine fire, consider turning the aircraft so the fire is downwind?
Sit on your hands for a few seconds to take stock of the problems you are facing?

If its just an engine failure after T/O then once its under control don't be in a rush to return. Don't go too far from the field and sort yourself out, self brief on the differences for the approach and go around?

If you've left an engine on the runway you may not be able to go back, then what?

BlueRobin
30th May 2007, 11:57
Good point about the ops manual, I'll double-check.

Dean, did your brief pass okay with Mr Clifford?

Deano777
30th May 2007, 19:03
Yes mate he loved it.

Also with the pax brief before you get in my advice would be to leave the safety card on his seat and hand it to him as he get's in, this shows you are aware that you have to give it and is normally enough.

Give me a call if you want any indepth info

Dean

Keygrip
31st May 2007, 03:01
As the CPL skill test (in question) is a "simulated public transport flight, to be flown in accordance with JAR OPS, under visual flight rules" why do you give a Captains brief to a passenger?

I cannot think of a single public transport flight that I've been on, where the relevant flight deck crew member has made a public address to the cabin, to explain the crews actions in the event that they encounter an emergency.

I wonder how many passengers would suddenly decline the flight, and go by road, if given that briefing whilst preparing for departure.