PDA

View Full Version : N95 Gps

bar fly
29th May 2007, 16:20
Just got a Nokia N95 and cant figure out how to get the GPS mode to work for buggery.

Anyone got one that can tell me how they got it to work?

Cheers

planecrazy.eu
29th May 2007, 21:44
I aint got one, wish i had though, but i have a friend whos got one. What you having problems with? The GPS aint quick, you'll have to bear with it 5 mins the first time you use it as it takes forever to find 3 or more sats, its pretty quick after that though.

I think operators are different, but have you installed the map software as my mate had to? Whatever you do, when it prompts you to update or download maps, DONT. it will cost you a fortune...

redsnail
29th May 2007, 22:23
yeah, I got a N95.
Need to be outside (obviously) and expose the keypad.
Initial aquisition of the satellites will take any where from 3 to 15 minutes.
That's quite normal for hand held portable GPSs. It might be possible to tell it where it is so it knows which bit of the sky to look for satellites in.

Downloading maps via GPRS is exy!
Paying for the track following is exy too.

I just use it to locate where I am in the city and then set off.

Agent86
30th May 2007, 06:20
The trick with the maps is to download them via your home broadband to your memory card....expect a V slow download. Then the system does not use your mobile network data download. You will still have to pay for a "navigation" license.
I have an E61 with the Nokia bluetooth Gps and initially tried the SmartToGo maps but have since swapped to TomTom 6. I have heard that TT6 does not work with the inbuilt GPS of the N95 but a patch is in the works.
If you just want to find your car in the carpark, store your location as you leave, then use the inbuilt nav software to follow the blue arrow to your car when you come back 3-4-5 days later and don't have a clue where you parked :)

mdc
30th May 2007, 08:18
I have an N95 and the builtin GPS is pretty disappointing. Event after initial cold fix the acquisition times are long and the sensitivity poor. I think this is related to the position of the GPS antenna, which I believe is beneath the keypad.

I tried to use the inbuilt GPS on a recent trip to the Bay Area and had to give up as after over 30mins it still hadn't acquired a fix,and I went back to my E61, TomTom6 and BT GPS combination.

I've also tried to use the N95 with Nokia's Sports Tracker application, again with little success, which I assume is due to the poor GPS antenna location.

As for activating the inbuilt GPS the only methods I'm aware of involve launching a Nokia Application, whether this is Maps, Sports Tracker, Landmarks or GPS Data.

The best thing about the N95 is the VoIP client, which saved me a fortune on international roaming charges while in the US and HSDPA coupled with a laptop for fast wireless connectivity (while in the UK)

Michael

BDiONU
30th May 2007, 08:42
I have heard that TT6 does not work with the inbuilt GPS of the N95 but a patch is in the works.
Nope, no patch available. Tom Tom are supposed to be working on an upgrade which will utilise the internal GPS but not available yet and no date.

BD

BDiONU
30th May 2007, 08:49
I have an N95 and the builtin GPS is pretty disappointing. Event after initial cold fix the acquisition times are long and the sensitivity poor. I think this is related to the position of the GPS antenna, which I believe is beneath the keypad.
Without wishing to sound a moaner if you wanted a fast and sensitive GPS you should have bought a dedicated unit ;) I think the N95 does pretty well for such a small unit with all the other things it can also do.
As for activating the inbuilt GPS the only methods I'm aware of involve launching a Nokia Application, whether this is Maps, Sports Tracker, Landmarks or GPS Data.
There are several GPS software applications out there which do utilise the internal GPS. Co-pilot, route 66 to name but 2. You can use Tom Tom 6 on the N95 with an external BT receiver, I can and do (same software I used on my N80). Also have all the European and North American (& Canada) maps.
The best thing about the N95 is the VoIP client,
But if you have Vodaphone or Orange phone they've disabled it! :ugh:

BD

whitebeard
30th May 2007, 09:03
I've used it extensively in the uk and found it very useful and accurate. Maps are free to download via "nokia maploader". Either via usb connection to your computer and direct to the memory card, or better still by inserting the card itself into the adapter and then into the computer. http://http://www.n95users.com/. Very useful site!

BDiONU
30th May 2007, 09:14
http://http://www.n95users.com/[/URL]. Very useful site!
I can also recommend the 3G users website (http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/forumdisplay.php?f=667):ok:

BD

bar fly
30th May 2007, 11:24
Many thanks for your suggestions, I'll certainly take a look at those sites and try to figure this out. I tried to get the maps from smart2go without success, so i'll try the other oprions. This was probably to do with my own ineptitude rather than anything else mind. Also, i still need to source a cheap memory card as the stingey buggers dont provide them...

BDiONU
30th May 2007, 11:35
Also, i still need to source a cheap memory card as the stingey buggers dont provide them...
Get a 2Gb Sandisk micro SD from Play.com (http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/3251313/Sandisk-2GB-Micro-SD-Card/Product.html?P36=5JF38Z) for £14.99 inc VAt and delivery. Although I'm using the Ultra II version from Pricestorm (http://www.pricestorm.com/moreInfo.asp?code=SANTF2GBU&tabGroup=GROUP-PC&tabSelect=TAB5&tabGrpCode=COMP1) for £16.69.

can you tell I've recently upgraded to the N95? ;)

BD

bar fly
30th May 2007, 11:50
Great Thanks! How come you went for the Ultra II version?

BDiONU
30th May 2007, 11:57
How come you went for the Ultra II version? On my N80 there was quite a delay between taking a picture, it being saved and then being able to take another. I assume that part of the contribution to this was because of the access speed of the card. The Ultra II does 10Mb a second up and 9 down so I hoped it would speed things up. Certainly the N95 is much faster (and lovely quality pics to boot) but I cannot quantify if that due to the card speed or just that the N95 is generally faster. Given it was only a couple of quid difference I had nothing to lose. Incidentally there is an Ultra III out now but still in the fairly silly price range ;)

BD

bar fly
30th May 2007, 12:01
Thanks a million BD. I just bought one from play.com. I was about to pay £20 for one so I reckon I owe you a beer!

:ok:

mdc
30th May 2007, 13:30
BDiONU,
I'm not moaning, just wanted to make people aware of the limitations of the device. In my opinion having to use the device extended (with keyboard exposed) for GPS functionality is a design flaw on a slider device.
As mentioned in my post I also have a Bluetooth GPS unit several in fact, that I do use with TT6 on the N95 if required, but I prefer the larger screen an QWERTY keyboard of the E61i
Also if you know what your doing you can get round the Vodafone/Orange limitation, by modifying your device product code and then flashing with the generic Nokia firmware build which will give you the missing SIP client and IM client.
I actually don't buy my devices, but them get them supplied to me for evaluation (perks of my job) and I always make sure they SIM free devices, with no operator branding.

BDiONU
30th May 2007, 13:46
just wanted to make people aware of the limitations of the device. In my opinion having to use the device extended (with keyboard exposed) for GPS functionality is a design flaw on a slider device.
No worries, I just think that its a very good start down the convergence road :)
Also if you know what your doing you can get round the Vodafone/Orange limitation, by modifying your device product code and then flashing with the generic Nokia firmware build which will give you the missing SIP client and IM client.
You can and its simple BUT you may well invalidate your warranty.
I actually don't buy my devices, but them get them supplied to me for evaluation (perks of my job) and I always make sure they SIM free devices, with no operator branding.
Mine is O2 contract, which are unbranded and unlocked :) If you ever need a 2nd evaluator ;)

BD

reeves987.wanadoo
30th Jun 2007, 12:15
hi ive got a nokia n95 on the way will be here on tuesday, ive got a memory card with world maps on from nokia maploader but have been told it works with the built in gps receiver but with no voice directions, does anyone know if you can subscribe just to get the voice, if so is it expensive.

thanks.............

BDiONU
30th Jun 2007, 12:32
ive got a memory card with world maps on from nokia maploader but have been told it works with the built in gps receiver but with no voice directions, does anyone know if you can subscribe just to get the voice, if so is it expensive.
To get the Nokia maps via your PC you:
1. Run the GPS software (maps) with the memory card inside. Exit the program.
2. Install maploader on your PC. You can download this at http://www.smart2go.com/en/help/maploader
3. Connect your handset via USB and select "mass storage" on the N95.
4. Launch maploader and follow the instructions.
On step 1 if you've already run Maps without your card inserted, you need to do it again. You may also need to get a GPS fix first and download at least 1 map over the air (WLAN / GPRS) for it to create the directory structure.

For turn by turn instructions you pay Nokia by subscribing via the phone. I think its £30 for 3 years but I'm not certain as I haven't done it. I'm using Tom Tom 6 with an external Bluetooth receiver, awaiting Tom Tom to upgrade. Although there are several other programs which use the internal GPS.

BD

mdc
30th Jun 2007, 13:08
I thought pricing depended on what region/s you required navigation coverage for. I've just checked though and prices for Western Europe & UK/Eire appear to be the same at:

3 Yr license £47.53
1 Yr license £40.74
30 day license £5.43
7 day license £4.41

SyllogismCheck
18th Jul 2007, 07:49
Got one of these yesterday. As it was supplied by Orange, it came with the VoIP and one or two other applications crippled and froze no less than 3 times in the first 10 minutes of me fiddling around with it. That 10 minutes was enough to convince me it was probably worth keeping, however - on the assumption that the feezing issues were mostly down to the buggy Orange software build.

So, next step, debrand and load generic Nokia firmware, which took about 5 minutes of actual doing and about 20 of being left to downlaod a 114 megabyte file and update it to the phone. Afterwards, hey presto, no more freezing, faster GPS acquisition times, VoIP/Internet telephony options restored, set up and working and no more annoying Orange customised menu layout.

Just waiting on a decent sized memory card to arraive now in order to download as much of the mapping as I think I'll need over broadband so that the phone should never need to do so over the network at Orange's OTT data costs.

Overall, it seems like a decent enough product - should you be on Orange or Vodafone, provided you uncripple it that is.

mdc
18th Jul 2007, 16:34
Your fortunate enough to have bought just in time to flash with the latest 12.x FW which introduced AGPS, time to fix in older FW releases was very slow in my experience.

There's a newer maps application then the one which ships with FW12.x, so make sure you download that aswell.

skr80
18th Jul 2007, 17:12
At the moment the internal gps on the N95 will only work when using supplied maps and connecting to tinternet.

Until a 'fix' comes by, best off spending £20 on a bluetooth gps device, pairing it, and using tomtom 6 etc as you want. You can always sell the external gps when the fix comes along - big market for converting PDA's with them into satnav units..

mdc
18th Jul 2007, 17:46
My internal N95 GPS works perfectly well without connected to the internet and if you want to use the Nokia maps application without incurring data charges simply preload the maps you wish to use via the maploader application.

I already use an external BT reciever with TT6 on the N95 and E61i

skr80
18th Jul 2007, 18:32
Have you tried it with tom tom 6 - as everyone I know who has the n95 cannot use the internal gps for 'realtime' map routing?

SyllogismCheck
18th Jul 2007, 20:44
mdc, Ended up with V 12.0.013 after the debrand and re-flash. Orange firmware was still back around V 10.x.xxx or so..... and a lame version of that at best.

Can you point me in the right direction for the updated 'Maps' application please? I've googled and been around the appropriate sites but haven't turned it up yet. Where should I be looking? Thanks.

mdc
18th Jul 2007, 21:47
Try http://www.smart2go.com/en/download/ for the latest Maps application.

Skr I use TT6 with the external BT GPS, as you said until TT release an update which uses Nokia's GPS API that's the only option.

You can do full navigation via the Nokia Maps app using the builtin gps, but this is chargable, see my earlier post for prices.

SyllogismCheck
18th Jul 2007, 22:07
Thanks, mdc. I was trawling around the Nokia site, forgetting the smart2go site runs alongside it. :ugh:

Cheers. :ok:

sinala1
14th Nov 2007, 11:34
Howdy Folks,
I just got myself an N95 8Gb (not even released here in Australia yet - beyond me how the retailer got hold of it!) and wondering if anyone knows of any GPS software I can download that will provide Free navigation? I downloaded Amaze, but it doesn't have the map for Brisbane - they haven't produced one yet :{

Thanks! :ok:

mutt
14th Nov 2007, 15:02
Have you tried Route 66, it came with my phone complete with the map coverage for the areas i requested, it issues voice directions and is totally free to use.

Mutt

sinala1
14th Nov 2007, 23:04
Thanks Mutt, I looked into it but its $199 to purchase. My phone came equipped with Google Maps, which is fairly good - but it doesnt include voice directed navigation unless you pay to subscribe to it... I am trying to find a free one if it does exist rather than forking out for it - not being cheap, just being resourceful! :}

sinala1
18th Nov 2007, 08:34
Further to my post above, Amaze GPS does actually have Brisbane - you just have to do an address search first, I think this makes it then download the map via your mobile phone internet connection - which can be expensive - so I recommend, if you can, setting it to download via a WLAN connection to save yourself the data charges from your mobile phone company!

Cheers :ok: