PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Internet for Bizjets

toolguy
29th May 2007, 11:44
Looking for info and opinions on Satellite Internet systems for business jets. Costs? Service availability? performance? any input will be appreciated.

pfnotflying
29th May 2007, 12:19
I saw it on a falcon. 4 swift64 channel with nominal rate of 256k. These guys were using it to download e-mail (using outlook express), I don't know how it work to surf the web.

Mach Tuck
29th May 2007, 12:23
Reliable but slow (though adequate). Costs around US$10 per minute.

4HolerPoler
29th May 2007, 17:17
I'm making this response from over the Med at FL330- we use a 64K system that clocks at about 50K - it's better than nothing. We use Satcom Direct as providers & it works out at about $6.50 per minute - if one person is on or twenty. There are piggybacked 256K systems but they are more expensive.

Broadband service is just around the corner which will give you a couple of hundred K for about the same price as we're paying for 64K. But you need a broadband-capable box. We use the Honeywell 700 series HSD and are looking to use their broadband equipment with EMS accelerators.

4HP

Gulfstreamaviator
31st May 2007, 07:02
We are also looking at the piggy backed broadband, and the Legacy 600 has it as an optional standard extra.

Also we are looking at a macro cell for the pax to use their cell phones, as they get bored dialing from the sat phone, and 8 calls at a time are not possible.

Plus we want a always on PPrune connection from GDC.

Glf