PDA

View Full Version : min hours for bizjet jobs

druglord
1st Jan 2002, 17:49
Can anyone tell me what the general minimum hours and competitive hours are for an FO on say a Citation I/II plus any other qualifications required. I realise this will vary from company to company, with different insurance policies. Curious nonetheless

ROLLER STAMP
1st Jan 2002, 18:53
MOST OF THE JOBS I HAVE APPLIED FOR HAVE REQUIRED MINIMUM 200HRS JET TIME,SOME INSURANCE COMPANIES WILL RAISE THE PREMIUM IF YOU DON,T HAVE THIS.I HAVE BEEN ASKED FOR AT LEAST 1000HRS TT WITH AT LEAST 500HRS MULTI ENGINE TIME.IT GENERALLY DEPENDS ON THE MARKET AT THE TIME YOU APPLY.YOU WILL NEED TO HOLD AT LEAST A FROZEN ATPL/IR WITH AN MCC COURSE.

druglord
2nd Jan 2002, 02:08
Thanks roller...in the US are they after MCC courses? or is that more specifically European?

yxcapt
2nd Jan 2002, 09:20
In the corporate world it's more "Who you know" and if you fit in with the flight department. The last openning we had the final 3 canidates had 12000, 10000 and 3000 hours total time. All had an ATP and atleast one type rating. We hired the 3000 hour guy. He had one type rating and the lowwest total time, but he fit in really well with the rest of the flight department.

rick1128
2nd Jan 2002, 19:41
DL, MCC is a European thing. Here in the US CRM is a required training item for all courses now. As for hours it depends on not only operator and equipment, but also things like insurer, past recorder, the head man's desires, etc.

One items may change this. Since 9/11 insurance requirements have risen. And getting someone added by names has become more difficult.

If you are looking for a corporate jet job, you might consider flying a charter jet first. That will get you jet experience a little easier.

Good Luck.

Richard

LAVDUMPER
2nd Jan 2002, 21:56
Yxcapt,

Just curious, what types of aircraft does your operation fly? Did the pilot you hired have a type related to an aircraft your organization operates? Does that not help significantly in selection (i.e., reduced training costs - and once you get past the personality question)?

Cheers

ITFC1
3rd Jan 2002, 00:45
I got hired on 500 hours T.T on a corporate jet, i worked as an instructor for a while, keep working as it will happen. Was teaching then Capt and he needed an F.O.

yxcapt
3rd Jan 2002, 05:40
Lav,

We operated Falcon 50's and a Challenger 604. The guy we hired had a Saber 60 type rating. We required a type for two reasons. Jet experiance and it does reduce training cost (Can do an entire type rating check ride in the sim).

He was hired for the 604 and was typed after one year.

polzin
4th Jan 2002, 08:02
90% of the time it is who you know! Dont ever think you cant get the job because you have less time! Often they want someone they can control and mold. At least that is what this old fart tells them when I tell them I really want to learn their superior way! Be outgoing, a good guy, and someone some day will give you the big break.

JJflyer
6th Jan 2002, 18:28
I had about 380 or so hours(150 multi) when I got into a CE525 right seat. Made Captain in a Corporate Cheyenne with 500 hours. I had about 1300 hours when I got into F/O slot in a VIP B737. After that I have been on VIP B727īs and still, amongst other stuff, fly the Threeholer.

911 has changed things and bizjet market is more difficult to break in now with so many furloughed pilots around. I donīt think I could do it again with those hours. Still getting hired has a lot to do with being in the right place in the right time.

Cheers

LRdriver
6th Jan 2002, 21:04
I agree with JJflyer, as somebody told me once "you can teach a monkey to fly, but are you the person i want to sit in a cockpit with for any lenght of time?.."

I got into the right seat of a citation with 300TT while I was instructing and have since progressed thru a multitude of turbines and jets to have my first PIC gig on a LR60 with 2700TT.
In our company I have several guys whom I fly with who have started as FO with 250TT. They displayed the right attitude and personality, hence throw them in the sim to teach them the rest. This is no different to the AB-initio attitude prevailent amongst the airlines. These guys proved themselves and will make good captains when the time comes and they develop the maturity(in judgement) and experience thru exposure.
Don't be afraid about the huge amount of Airline guys on the market right now, most will run back to their old jobs leaving the corporate employers hanging with a huge training expense. So they would rather (as mentioned) keep and mold you.

Go out and network and meet people, I have never gotton a biz-job by a mailed resume (its always been via meet and greet..)

JJflyer
7th Jan 2002, 22:27
I agree that many of the furloughed pilots will go back to their airline jobs if they get a chance. I have seen many companies demanding as a condition of hiring that the person has to quit his seniority and recall rights. How many are willing to do this? Still it is a lot different than last spring when everyone was hiring.