PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Classroom requirement

Slopey
28th May 2007, 11:38
Hi All,

I hold a PPL(A) (with Night Qual), and although I don't necessarily intend to go commercial, I would like to obtain my CPL as a personal goal, and the IMC (although the new IR if it happens in time may now be achievable).

To that end, rather than persue the CPL exams, I'm thinking why not just go for the ATPL exams, and then if a miracle happens (like I can pay off my morgage), I may one day have a sniff at a commercial job. Anyway....

I'm looking into the online distance learning ATPL from CATS.

My question really is this - I work full time, and have precious little holidays as it is, and probably would'nt be able to manage a full week classroom time every 3 months (the current wife and child would take exception to that!).

Is the class room requirement mandatory or is it possible to sit the exams at an approved FTO with less of a class room req (i.e., I'd be able to wangle 2 days off work no questions asked, but a week would be out)?

Lasors states "Applicants will be required to complete 650 hours of ATPL theoretical knowledge instruction at an Approved FTO within a period of 18 months." for the Modular route.

Obviously, I'm not going to have anywhere near 650 hours at an FTO even if I did the 3 weeks as outlined in their course documentation (even at 8hrs a day x 5 x 3 thats only 120hrs).

What's the deal with the lasors 650hrs and online courses? Or is this another of the Lasors ambiguities which is answered in the ANO? Or is the lasors wording really saying "you need to sit the exams at an FTO and there's around 650 hours of study material before you should sit them"? Or am I reading the wrong section of lasors? (G.1.3.1 page 297 of the 2007 pdf).

Ultimately, the chances of me ever using the ATPL exams results to gain entry to a commercial job are slim - I'm doing them for my own amusement and as I find the subject matter interesting, so is it possible (even if inadvisable) to do a distance learning course and then skip the class time and sit the exams?

Just interested to see if anyone's done/doing it that way or knows if it's possible - yes I should just phone CATS but to be honest that could result in an impulse buy which I'd have to explain to she who must be obeyed! ;)

Cheers,
S.

Whirlygig
28th May 2007, 11:52
Is the class room requirement mandatory

In a nutshell, yes. Sorry. It is the JAA/CAA method of ensuring that the required hours of theoretical instruction is achieved.

A CPL course with fewer exams however, does not require as much classroom work.

Cheers

Whirls

Jaguar Pilot
28th May 2007, 12:10
Slopey:

The 650 hours study time is the minimum requirement for the completion of an ATPL course, be it residential or distance learning. A percentage of residential time on a distance learning course is mandatory and for the ATPL this means about four weeks "in house".

A well constructed distance-learning course means that you will complete the necessary amount of study time at home. Remember that your service provider must countersign your examination application form stating that you have fulfilled the study requirements.

A CPL is a VFR only licence. To do a CPL course and subsequently add an IR is the expensive route because you will be doing two courses. My advice is to do the ATPL course, at the end of which you will be issued with a CPL/"frozen" ATPL. This may then be "unfrozen" when you have 1500 hours.

I have been in the groundschool teaching environment for fifteen years and, as always, suggest that if you have any questions on the best route to take, consult your service provider (or potential service provider).
A school will have all the answers at their fingertips (or should have).

JP

Slopey
28th May 2007, 12:27
A percentage of residential time on a distance learning course is mandatory and for the ATPL this means about four weeks "in house".

That's the bit I was needing clarification of - thanks.

re the the CPL ir issue - yes the other reason for taking the atpl rather than cpl exams is that they fulfill the IR requirement as opposed to just Human Perf - with the upcoming (hopefully) IR changes, it is more likely I'd persue that. I was intending persuing the IMCR next but to be perfectly honest, I could easily persue the atpl syllabus, then do the CPL/IR afterwards after which time any changes to the IR should be ratified (as that would be minimum 9 months on the ATPLs, and then I'ev got 18 months to complete CPL/IR after the last exam, which is around 2 and a bit years).

Anyways, thanks for the clarification JP & Whirly. :)