PDA

View Full Version : Airway selection in Flight planning

amitykg
28th May 2007, 08:46
What is the basis of selecting an airway in a flight plan? Say for instance i want to code a flight plan so how do i decide which airway do i need to select?

Dream Land
28th May 2007, 09:10
Just a guess, the ones that go toward your destination? :E

enicalyth
28th May 2007, 10:15
Erm...
Strange request
I take it that you are really asking for an explanation of airway designators.
ICAO Annex 11, App 1 refers.
The ATS route designator should be a maximum of five and in no case more than six characters formed as follows:
One prefix:
K (Kopter) to indicate a low level route established for use primarily by helicopters.
U (Upper) to indicate that the route is established in the upper airspace.
S (Supersonic) to indicate a route established exclusively for supersonic aircraft.
One additional letter:
A, B, G, R for regional ATS routes that are conventional, not area navigation routes.
L, M, N, P for regional ATS routes that are area navigation routes.
H, J, V, W for non-regional ATS routes that are conventional, not area navigation routes.
Q, T, Y, Z for non-regional ATS routes that are area navigation routes.
A supplementary letter may be added after the basic designator of the ATS route to indicate the type of service provided:
D (Dud??) an advisory service only is provided.
F (Flaming Dud??) a flight information service only is provided.
G (Good Gawd is anybody listening at all??)
Examples to think about are UA866, UN866, UG853, UG853D and UG853F.
As to actual flight levels be very, very wary. Nothing in an ICAO document has any force unless adopted by the AIS provider. Examples such as EURSAM corridor, France, UK, AENA, ASECNA will give you food for thought. Be alert where francophone and anglophone Africa touch. Whether 'tis perfidious Albion or the Gallic shrug at work matters not, just be alert.
And with that cheery thought, the snags look just about done. Where’s Billy Birmingham when you need him?
The “E”

topper28
29th May 2007, 08:48
By the way it's really hard to know which airway is gonna be accepted from Eurocontrol. You can check airways restriction on Jeppesen Enroute section or try the route validation on this

http://www.cfmu.eurocontrol.int/chmi_public/ciahome.jsp?serv1=ifpuvs

Old Smokey
29th May 2007, 12:58
Is it true enicalyth, that A464 is the longest airway in the world?

Or is it just another aviation myth?:sad:

Good, so good, to see you back and firing on all cylinders!:ok: The E is back!

Regards,

Old Smokey