PDA

View Full Version : No doubt been done before....

Aloof
28th May 2007, 08:20
...but the search facility wasn't throwing much up.

35 years old and have 15 years in my current employment. Why I never pursued a career flying before I'll never know (well I do but to lay all the blame on a lame careers adviser wouldn't do).
Anyway, started towards my PPL but this will take at least a year and a half to complete with work and family life to juggle. What's the chances of me seriously making it to commercial flying this late on? How on earth do you fund it if you don't have that sort of cash lying around?

Any pointers would be appreciated chaps/ladies.

Leezyjet
28th May 2007, 21:49
Go overseas and take a 3 week PPL course. What you will save on the cost of doing it in the UK will pay for the flights and accom and then you will save yourself a year and can be getting on with the ATPL ground school.

As long as you are realistic that youy probably won't make Captain in an airline like BA, and accept that your options may be limited to the smaller carriers then it is entirely possible that you will get something. Also being prepared to go anywhere and fly anything that pays will help too. Some people on here seem set on flying for the big boys, but don't seem prepared to work for a smaller outfit flying t/p's or c/j's for example.

To fund it, if you have property you could re-mortgate, otherwise it is pretty much just a bank loan. You can get £25K pretty easily which if you choose the right schools can get you a fair chunk of your training paid for. You could put the rest on credit cards or take out another loan for the rest.

:)