PDA

View Full Version : Buffering....

PPRuNe Pop
28th May 2007, 07:43
Just of late I have suddenly encountered buffering while playing AVI's. Never had it before and it is a pain which I would like to relieve - anyone got an answer to this please.

I have 1gb of ram which I have also just recently installed. Prior it was 512b??!!

YouTube plays like always, good.

Bushfiva
28th May 2007, 08:45
Do you think it's coincidence? You could pull the new RAM out and see if the problem goes away, in which case you might want to check that the RAM has the same specs as the original RAM.

If it's coincidence, maybe it's time to throw away old temp files, then defrag the hard drive if you don't do that routinely.

Installed new antivirus software, such as Norton?

Are you using the default Microsoft player to play your AVIs, or are you using something like Videolan?

Have you upgraded to Vista, if so could you post the performance numbers listed in Control Panel > Performance information & tools > Windows Experience ?

planecrazy.eu
28th May 2007, 11:38
I think the above poster has hit the nail on the head...

Reason i say this is that a friend has a total loss of performance when they upgraded the R.A.M... This was due to the fact the M/B only supported 2 X 512 and they put 1 x 1G in and it just didnt work right...
Same would also happen if you use the wrong type of R.A.M...

If its buffering AVI's then its got to be a ram or graphics problem, i cant see its been temp files or the system, unless you have something pretty chuncky running in the background and hogging the CPU...

You could check in "system" to make sure Windows can see the RAM in its full size, if it cant, could be a faulty stick of ram... But remember, 1gig ram will be less as the computer will take x ram away for graphics unless the system has a dedicated graphics card...

rob-d
28th May 2007, 11:39
It could be your internet connection if you are playing files off the web.

Programs like media player will try and create a buffer big enough that you dont experience pauses in the middle of playing the video. A fast connection and you dont notice any delay while the buffer is downloaded as it downloads rather quickly. A slow connection means you will see a pause while a buffer is downloaded. Could be that your internet connection has degraded.

PPRuNe Pop
28th May 2007, 12:48
Ummmm. My mobo will take 2gb and both 512mb strips are compatible and identical.

I have had a good clearout of temp files and that HAS made some difference.

I am now looking at the internet although it is just as fast as usual.

Thanks.

vapilot2004
29th May 2007, 22:43
Pprune Pop,

Earlier versions of Media Player will buffer a larger bit of a clip when there is more memory available. You can change the default buffering here:
Media Player > Tools > Options > Performance Tab > Network Buffering.

The newer versions of Mplayer (10 & 11) are better at streaming. Microsoft.com/mediaplayer.

You Tube is unaffected by media player's idiosyncrasies since it uses Flash player.

Good Luck!