PDA

View Full Version : The Future of GA

Ex-truck
27th Jan 2001, 17:27
I am currently engaged on some research into GA. Although my background is as a professional pilot, GA is not my area of expertise. However, what I have discovered is very worrying. To start with, there seems to be no legislative instrument to protect aviation generally; whilst roads and railways are protected, the third form of transport is not. This enables local authorities to redevelop airfields without any opposition being able to cite protection from the law. I have also discovered, to my amazement, that the Southeast of England - the most populous and prosperous part of the UK, offers very few airfields. Apart from the London airports, there is nothing licenced apart from Biggin Hill, Manston, Lydd, Rochester and Headcorn. The first three are either already limiting GA activities or have plans to reduce it soon. Headcorn has no capacity to increase GA operations, and Rochester is under threat of closure from the local council - Medway.

This whole scenario strikes me as deeply worrying. Whilst umbrella organisations such as GAAC and AOPA are well aware of this situation, the DETR seems very reluctant to intervene in "local" affairs, and Medway has a case to realise a valuable local asset (50 hectares of valuable development land) both in recognition of Central Government pressure on local authorities to maximise assets, and to fund other activities in the local area which urgently need more funding. Nevertheless, this is a short term option, and ignores the long-term loss of what is now the only GA airfield in the SE capable of development for GA; and this at a time when the 8 flying schools at Biggin Hill and others elsewhere will almost certainly be forced to find new homes before long.

Where are the lobby groups to help stop this destruction of irreplaceable aviation assets? Is this not an issue which could prove far more beneficial to the aviation community than many other topics which stir emotions within the PPrune forums? I know there are journalists who use these forums, as well as a very wide range of aircrew and aviation managers. This must be an issue that deserves extensive airing; it affects the whole of UK aviation - not just GA.

I am happy to do more work on this, and would welcome offers of support - especially from anybody who can help to bring influence to bear on Central Government and/or ministers.

Porgy
28th Jan 2001, 14:02
> Apart from the London airports, there is
> nothing licenced apart from Biggin Hill,
> Manston, Lydd, Rochester and Headcorn.

I don't know how you are doing your research, but (a) Fairoaks, Farnborough, Blackbushe, Redhill and many, many others are licenced (b) Biggin Hill is (laughably) a 'London Airport'.

Maybe you should think about your sources.

Porgy

Ex-truck
28th Jan 2001, 19:22
Thanks Porgy. I should have been clearer about the area of "Southeast". Specifically, I am looking at Biggin Hill and further East and South - which rules out the airfields that you correctly identified