PDA

View Full Version : Certification Issues

durbin
28th May 2007, 00:33
Hi all,

I am currently completing a research project on which a small section is based on the certification procedures for ex-military aircraft which have undergone restoration. My question is how does the FAA administer this process and under what category is the aircraft finally registered.

Thanks in advance.

barit1
28th May 2007, 02:07
Most WWII trainers (PT-17, PT-19, BT-13, (A)T-6 etc.) had Normal Category Type Certificates issued, and were used by civil contractor flight schools. They continue to be flown unrestricted.

P-51, B-17, B-25, P-38 & several others received Limited Category type certification in the 40s, and could be operated for any purpose other than carriage of pax or cargo for hire. The CAA (predecessor of FAA) stopped issuing new Limited T/C's before 1950; however newly surplused aircraft of these types could be licensed under existing T/C's.

Aircraft types that didn't get Limited T/C's were bound to either Experimental or Restricted - either one requires more hassle, may be operated only for specified purposes (ie racing, display, aerial photography...).

In the 60s there was once a B-25 used to haul tropical fish from the Caribbean to US; the operator could not legally carry other peoples' property for hire, so he bought the fish at pickup, and re-sold them at delivery - all perfectly legal under the Limited TC.

The functional rules have changed over the years - I have recently ridden as paying pax in both a B-17 and a B-25 specially blessed for this duty. :D

durbin
28th May 2007, 02:50
Just another quick question. If a trainer type, a Harvard for example, is found in a hanger some where and is in a state of disrepair and never been on the civilian register under what category is the aircraft registered whilst it undergoes repairs/restoration?

Also the ex-military aircraft I refer to are inevitably old does anyone have any idea what is involved in extending the service life in the US and Europe?

barit1
28th May 2007, 14:46
"Disrepair" is a subjective term; Disassembly, thorough stripping & cleaning, and modern inspection methods will resolve whether the hardware is airworthy. "Life limits" as we know them today did not exist in the 40s.
One ship I rode in had a whole new aft fuselage spliced on behind the waist guns; the stringer splices were obvious, and very professionally done. :ok:
It's all a matter of money - inspection is the key.
If a T-6 were found (perhaps re-imported) that was never before US-registered, it would be eligible under the existing T-6(AT-6) Standard ATC (see a-2-575 (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/760940aa7c73f91d8525673d0060451b/$FILE/a-2-575.pdf)).