PDA

View Full Version : Lic conversion in Kenya

SpootNICK
9th Feb 2006, 05:35
"ello Folks,

Have any of you had the pleasure of converting your licence to a Kenyan Licence.....CPL/ATP.

If so, please PM with your experiences or recommendations.

Much appreciated.

SN

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Feb 2006, 05:47
Bring lots of money. You'll probably write Air Law more than once, even if you get it right first time.

This is old gen and hopefully things have improved but as I recall the process is painful, tedious and requires more patience than the average mortal possesses.

...And then you need to find a job....:(

Phenomenon
9th Feb 2006, 11:43
Just be prepared... Eversince Rossair took their DC3 out of the country at 3 in the morning without letting anyone know, the KCAA has been a little unfriendly with South Africans. :ok:

Xshongololo
10th Feb 2006, 21:50
The experience of converting a Kenyan license is highly unpleasant. Flashing cash once will require you to do the same anytime you need something done at KCAA. The vampires there will suck you dry....your wallet that is.
More importantly ascertain if you can get a residency permit under the name of a company offering you work... i hear that the last time this was done was 3 years ago as nationalisation is in full swing....
Flying the bush in Kenya\Sudan is a fantastic experience....demanding but fun. Good luck.

Coleman Myers
12th Feb 2006, 12:33
Just quickly Phenom..... - was'nt that Lee Zinc's DC3 rather than ROSSAIR or is this another incredible chapter in the Eddy Absil book of invaluable aviation anecdotes and tales ?.

SpootNICK - its not that hard, just get some advice from an established Kenyan outfit first and maybe an introduction to someone would help. KCAA is a very different animal these days but the old guard stil "has ways und means".

Getting a work permit is not that difficult if you have a firm offer and there is no Kenyan alternative. There is definitely a shortage of B1900 and DASH 8 crew in Kenya

P68BRAVO
13th Feb 2006, 08:46
Dear Coleman Myers,
could you tell me which company is short of Be 1900 pilots please?
Sincerely
R.V.

SpootNICK
13th Feb 2006, 13:35
Thanks for the Gen. SN

Coleman Myers
13th Feb 2006, 14:30
Dear Coleman Myers,
could you tell me which company is short of Be 1900 pilots please?
Sincerely
R.V.

ALS I understand from my friends

P68BRAVO
13th Feb 2006, 16:16
Thanks for the info Coleman Myers.
Sincerely
R.V.

Phenomenon
13th Feb 2006, 19:42
was'nt that Lee Zinc's DC3 rather than ROSSAIR

Sorry it took so long to reply Coleman, was away for a few days.

I'm not sure who it belonged to but I know it was flying on a UN contract for Rossair. I was on contract recently with the guy who was sent to "extract" it out of the country.

He wasn't to eager to give too much details about it which is prabably understandable... :}

acy RJ driver
27th May 2007, 23:40
hello to all:

I will be in kenya for the next 4 weeks, I am looking to convert my US ATP to a KCAA standard, I phoned the KCAA and understand that I only need to take an Air law written exam for the conversion. Question is where can I find study material for the air Law written?

Any positive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thnx Acy :ok:

french_fry
28th May 2007, 21:14
Just finished my conversion from Canadian ATPL to Kenyan ATPL a couple months ago.
You need patience and i hope a company that will help you out, if this is by pure pleasure with no one to back you up forget it.
You need to know the AIP and CAP 394 off by heart, upside down and sideways, even then, you will get surprised.
It’s a question of patience and how much you want this license.
Then if you want to work in Kenya, you need a form 64 of the aircraft to be used (practical test, six T/O and LNDG) and an IFR test. Might even get to do a TTR exam if not current (useless written exam).
All in all its a gruelling experience to go through and costly
PM me if you need more info we are plenty of guys to have done this lately.

cheers