PDA

View Full Version : Mombasa Lay Over

aileron
26th May 2007, 12:42
Hello,

I have a trip into Mombasa in early June. I havent been to this destination before......we stay for about 5 days.

Could anyone recommend a few good days out, restaurants, pubs etc? I believe we saty at the 'whitesands' just north of the city on the coast.

Thanks in advance.

kotakota
26th May 2007, 16:53
You have to do the Tamarind restaurant on Mombasa creek overlooking the old city /port ( not that far from Whitesands ) or better still , their dhow (Arab sailing 'junk') which does splendid curries / seafood feasts by day , or better still , by evening along the creek by the old city / Fort Jesus etc . Very atmospheric and great food , you will not regret it. Hopefully the rainy season is over by then !
Pls take usual 3rd world precautions re walking alone / dark areas / agree taxi fares etc etc .Nearly all Kenyans are very hospitable but the inevitable bad egg can spoil it all. The beach is great at Whitesands.....duh !!
Roads are pretty dire , but if you fancy a drive head off North to Watamu and/or Malindi for Hemingways / Ocean Sports at the former and the Driftwood Beach Club ( my all time favourite ) at the latter. Why not try a night there ?
Enjoy - would like to hear about any other eateries you dig up as I will be back later this year .pls PM me when back. Tks

aileron
27th May 2007, 08:39
kotakota,

thanks for the reply. we also stay in Gambia so I will have my sensible head on. Tamarind restaurant sounds great. And i'll be packing my walking shoes.
I will send you a note when I get back to the uk.

Cheers

Any other suggestions out there?

aileron
14th Jun 2007, 08:44
Hi,

Back from MBA.

All good and thought the locals were very pleasant.

Whitesands good, rooms OK. They are refurbishing the rooms which is good. Afternoon tea was nice.

Ate at the Tamarind, AquaMarine, one of the hotels down the beach turning left (10 min walk) and also the Italian below the night club a little further down the beach. All good except for the Italian which I wouldnt eat at again. The night club was good though.

Thanks for the feedback guys!