PDA

View Full Version : Looking for experience in Scotland

Callsign Kilo
26th May 2007, 11:56
Hi folks,

I am a recent CPL/IR, hopefully on a path to the airlines at some stage in the not so distant future. I obviously lack experience; however I am eager to learn as much as I can about commercial aviation. I have a keen interest in every side of commercial operations and I am eager to 'learn my trade' and build my experience from those above me. As I search for jobs I was hoping to gain some suggestions as who to contact in the Air Taxi/GA sector in Central Scotland. Is there any jobs out there for a recent CPL/IR holder who wants to gain a little insight. Maybe something like a safety pilot, ops assistant, general dogs body.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TurboJ
26th May 2007, 21:38
Surely you would go anywhere to gain your experience, wouldn't you?

TJ

fernytickles
27th May 2007, 02:23
Hopefully a more constructive answer...

Have you thought about contacting your local PFA strut (West of Scotland Strut, I think?)? There are plenty of working pilots who are members and might help you.

Tug pilot at any of the glider bases? George Cormack at CBN? Don't know if he's still operating Trislanders, but there's no harm in asking. The guy who wants to/is starting the float plane operation around the Glasgow area? Is it worth asking at Signature in GLA and EDI to see if they know of any operators who they could suggest?

Good luck!

Callsign Kilo
27th May 2007, 10:41
Thank you fernytickles, a great insight - I'm looking forward to acting on your suggestions.

TurboJ - While I would be happy to move on to gain experience, I will look for things close to home initially. Keeps the missus and the family happy, you know?

LRdriver II
27th May 2007, 10:57
highland airways are taking cadet applications... I read the letter they sent out to all the flight schools.

The only laughable thing is that they expect the cadet to bond themselves for FIVE years on a C406/J31... :ugh:

CRX
27th May 2007, 17:17
LRdriver,
LAUGHABLE, lets redress the balance shall we. You make it sound like the five year bond is for the TYPE rating. Wrong. It is the for the whole package.
Thats from PPL to frozen ATPL including a type rating. Try to add that little lot up and it is the cadet who should be laughing. I am a product of a similar scheme; from a council estate background and 100hrs, to an ATPL TRE/IRE with 6700 hours.
I am the one who is laughing. Many of my colleagues are in debt to the tune of a third of a mortage. I am in the black and doing fine. Why do people see a bond as a ball and chain, five years is nothing when you are in your early twenties, and as my former Air Atlantique colleagues have found it is the path to great things. My former cadet pals are commanding heavy's, flying some of the most exciting GA in Europe and getting quick commands with LOCOS. Keep banging your head against that wall.....
KILO- PM me for more info.

TurboJ
27th May 2007, 17:39
Keeps the missus and the family happy, you know?

Kilo-I fully understand what you are referring to. Family etc is important and there is nothing worth than having a Mrs who moans all the time.

However, if I was an employer reading your original post, to me it reads a lack of flexibility and a 'let the job come to me' mentality. If that is how you are thinking then you will also be doing yourself out of numerous opportunities and you will be waiting a long time. Given the number of airports in the south east of England, your choice of employers in Scotland are likely to be severely limited. I applied on a global scale to try and get that first elusive job and even now my day involves a 200mile round commute;

Hopefully one day I will be in a position to have the experience to be able to roll out of bed (my own) straight into the crew room !!!!!!!! ;)

Callsign Kilo
27th May 2007, 18:19
Sorry TurboJ, although I may have given the impression of inflexibility; nothing could be further from the truth. I am more than aware that a fresh CPL/IR doesn't provide you with the right to think 'that a job will come to me,' and all I have to do is sit back and wait. I hope I am not that naive!

I totally take on board your suggestion that a low houred commercial pilot looking for that elusive first break must broaden his or her horizons. And I'm only too aware of the type of opportunities in areas such as SE England. I did all of my flight training there and in the process met a lot of good people who have made the most of opportunities in that region. However, living in Scotland and being married with our first child on the way I think it is sensible to thoroughly research what may be on offer up here. If nothing comes up then I will obviously be looking further afield. With the ink not even set on my licence yet, I will use this time wisely to look into what is available on my doorstep first. It is after all where my family and I are happiest.

Thanks and best of luck to you,

CK

unablereqnavperf
31st May 2007, 12:04
read your pm's and give me a call!