PDA

View Full Version : QANTAS Advertising

Willi B
26th May 2007, 08:19
According to today's "Weekend Australian", QF is now using staff to advertise its wares and "... (demonstrate) the airline's commitment to Australia".
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21795817-23349,00.html

Will some of the regulars here, who apparently work for QF and denigrate their employer at every opportunity, be strutting their stuff?

sobast
26th May 2007, 12:38
Willi B,
Some of the good engineers may get in on the act to try and help promote the company that fills their pay packets. But the denigrators will just stand in the background and make a lot of noise, unable to separate EBA negotiations etc from legitimate attempts to "build" the company.

speeeedy
27th May 2007, 01:00
Having now seen the ads, it seems very obvious to me that they were originally designed to settle the public after the APA takeover succeeded, barely a word in the script would have changed with the consequent failure of the bid.

SeeBee
27th May 2007, 08:59
I have hardly ever been more disgusted with the blatant cynicism.
The sooner these disreputable people depart the better.

Howard Hughes
27th May 2007, 09:09
I have just seen a couple of these ads on TV, can't remember the exact words but they seemed to be saying 'proud Australian', 'committed to regional Australia', 'caring for Australia', etc... Sorry if I am a cynic, but I call "bull sh:mad:t"!:yuk:

The only thing that I could believe is that the employees care for the company! Keep up the good work guys...:ok:

hoss
27th May 2007, 10:55
Oh come on guys, I thought Keg did a top job in those advertisements;).

Now seriously, I have no problem with someone telling it 'as it is', good or bad. Although I disagree with a number of things that take place in QantasLink(doesnt everyone in every workplace), I will offer an opinion/solution if asked.

Naturally, anyone would like to see their airline grow and continue to provide pilots with jobs.

Notice I used the word 'jobs' not necessarily careers these days.

Buster Hyman
27th May 2007, 11:20
Just saw it...one word springs to mind...Absolutely!

:yuk:

(On a side note, I like the crisp overalls on the LAME's..."Tonight, the part of Qantas LAME will be played by an actor!"):=

Keg
27th May 2007, 11:55
Oh come on guys, I thought Keg did a top job in those advertisements.

ROFLMAO!! Believe me, I have a face for radio. A few of the other regular QF PPRUNErs will have no hesitation in confirming that.

I'm with Howard. I have a strong desire for QF to grow and prosper. I may think parts of the company are amoral but that doesn't stop me wanting the company to go from strength to strength. Admittedly this desire is based upon me continuing to be paid and ultimately promoted.

I may slag some management techniques but I'd never, ever do something to 'damage' QF. If ever I didn't extend it would be because I was tired and not capable of doing so. I have extended in the past and I've also not extended. If I carry extra fuel it's because I think I'll need it, not because it means that I can sit back with my feet up the whole night.

Victor India
27th May 2007, 12:13
Hey Keg,

Why not load the fuel so you can put your feet up? They're fuel tanks - not air tanks!

VI :}

pakeha-boy
27th May 2007, 12:24
Keg....great points and would agree with your sentiments,it only serves our interests that the Airlines we fly for do well........

For those that think "Managements" of Airlines get it right or do it right are being fooled.The best watchdogs of any company are its employees,and those voices need to be heard.Whether it be on this forum or others,dissenting views are of valuable importance,as in the past whistleblowers have bought to bear complex issues with their respective Airline.

The outfit I fly for loves to feed the public lovely,picturesque,no worries messages about the state of our Airline.....its nothing but Bull****e,and we tell them that....through the media,e-mail,protest,pickets....to no avail..

When you fly for these outfits,and managments have the nerve to do this type of advertising,they no longer have a grip on the reality of the situation and most of the time its confirms the wedges that exist between themselves and its employees.......

I shake my head everytime I see an advert my company makes...it doesnt even come close to portraying the "real' situation....just like food commercials,the real thing never looks like the photo

2p!ssed2drive
27th May 2007, 12:34
just saw the adverts on channel 10 !

2 adverts in 20 minutes infact.

they really are investing a bit of money into this advertising stuff.

Mud Skipper
27th May 2007, 22:50
Saw a few of the adverts last night and was 100% uninspired, soft c@ck was the term which came to mind.

What a cheap and nasty little effort. Which ever directors 10 year old kid made these up on their home PC did a good job but it had no polish but lost of spin. This was summed up with the lousy takeout of the A380 finishing one of the ads.

I guess this sums up management attitude to the company now days, slash & burn, stuff the final product. :yuk:

lowerlobe
27th May 2007, 23:42
Actually I'm with speeeedy on this.

How long do you think it takes to put an ad campaign like this together.First you have to have a concept drawn up then audition for staff who fit your ideas and profiles.Then you have to book the filming crew and get them to the locations such as Longreach etc...
Then you might have to wait for the right weather and conditions.Then when you have finished the filming you have to edit and do all post production work.Then you have to book the airtime....

And they tell us they decided to make this ad campaign after the failed takeover bid fell on it's own sword.

More like this was planned to air after the takeover bid went through without any problems and to soothe any public concerns about the new company owners and it's plans...

Buster Hyman
28th May 2007, 00:14
Hang on Lobee...we have one of the stars on board!

Hey Keg, when was this ad done?:confused:

lowerlobe
28th May 2007, 00:28
Considering that the board did not meet I think until the Thursday after the failed bid it must have been one hell of a production team to put it together in that time.

mrpaxing
28th May 2007, 01:00
the ads were ready to go anywy in case Apa had got hold of qantas. just to reassure the public.:yuk:to be sure to be sure:=

lowerlobe
28th May 2007, 01:57
Ahhh .......I think that was what I just said....

apacau
28th May 2007, 02:08
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/company/adSpiritTomorrow has online versions of the ads for thoese interested.

Going Boeing
28th May 2007, 02:27
He does have a face for radio. :):):ok::D

Like This - Do That
28th May 2007, 02:46
Mrs LT-DT and I view these pretty cynically too, but our 3 year old boy loves them! "QANTAS QANTAS QANTAS .. look Daddy A JUMBO!!!!"

Sadly, his heart is really set on seeing a Cathay ad featuring their Tristars. Really don't have the heart to tell him that Cathay don't fly Tristars anymore.

Willie Nelson
28th May 2007, 03:47
Funny thing about the adds is Jet*; Conspicuous in it's absence. I wonder if this might be a precursor to setting it adrift.....

lowerlobe
28th May 2007, 04:14
Perhaps a deliberate omission or they did not have an advert for J* in the can ready for use because they thought the take over would have gone through.

sydney s/h
28th May 2007, 04:28
I can tell you for a fact the ad's were filmed between the 25th-28th April 2007.

crocodile redundee
28th May 2007, 07:56
Those ads were the last straw as far as I am concerned . Here is a Company Management who 2 weeks ago couldnt give a stuff about Employees,Australia, Australians,The industry or ANY other associated party. All they were interested in was selling out & lining their pockets!!!!!!!
NOW they are all sugar & spice & everything nice towards all & sundry!!!!!!!
I wouldnt give any of them my custom EVER again............Thats It!!!!!!!!

hotnhigh
28th May 2007, 10:24
I was more impressed with Thommo in the J* ad!
I agree with Kegs sentiments about QF but the angle of the ad made me throw up dinner.
Lets face it, worse staff engagement survey results in Australian corporate history and that was a few years ago now, how many engines that have gone bang in the last few months, how many disenfranchised passengers, how many times do we hear it's all about choice.
Lets get real, only chance for a change of direction is for a complete revamp of management and placing someone who truly believes in the Qantas product and its people.
Nah, thanks Geoff and Co, but you have absolutely no support with your supposed 'feel good' tactics.
Bring on 4corners tonight.

pakeha-boy
28th May 2007, 18:28
..the worst thing about most of this is

...people keep working for them and...

...people keep buying their tickets

because of those factors,Quantus and it,S managment don,t give a rats arse.....money is money,and they dont care where it comes from..

they are not the only entity thats runs their ship this way......when things look bad they get "someone" or "something" to turn the ship into the wind and gets things going again....a vain and viscious attempT to sugar-coat serious problems within...PB

sydney s/h
28th May 2007, 21:57
You know, i dont mind the bagging of the company, peoples thoughts etc... but for god's sake - i can't stand it when people spell Qantas incorrectly!!

Pakeha-boy - there ain't no U in Qantas!! (no excuse for you, your only across the pond).

Animalclub
28th May 2007, 23:14
I reckon PB had tongue firmly in cheek.
Americans had great difficulty in spelling Qantas without a "U"... Qantas had a succesful ad campaign in USA during the '70's with the punch line "The only U we want to see in Qantas is You".

HardCorePawn
29th May 2007, 02:04
well I thought the blonde was kinda hot... until I watched the 'regional australia' (http://www.qantas.com.au/infodetail/about/company/tvcs/tvc3.mpg) ad and heard her speak :ugh:

and as for ordering A380's to show your commitment to passenger comfort :yuk: I'll believe that when I see it configured with more than 2 inches of legroom!

pakeha-boy
29th May 2007, 07:36
...some blokes just dont get it:ugh::p:E

...hook, line, and sinker, is the term I believe they use....and there isnt a "U" in any of that:D

it took a while but the fish are biting today...that tui tastes good already

The Mr Fixit
29th May 2007, 12:33
I noticed three things about these ads

:eek: No fkn Engineers - because they intend to make them extinct and there goes the safety record (hopefully not too many lives)

:ugh: That there are still company puppets willing to stick up for the white rat even though they represent a minuscule of the QF populace

:{ If they spent the money they fkn spent on these ads on their staff and their facilities they wouldnt have to make the ads in the first place

:mad: HooRar QF management you really SUCK

NAS1801
29th May 2007, 14:22
...some blokes just dont get it ...hook, line, and sinker, is the term I believe they use....and there isnt a "U" in any of that it took a while but the fish are biting today...that tui tastes good already I got it...... as soon as I read your post, I got it and the above quoted post just re-enforced it. Troll.

lowerlobe
30th May 2007, 02:48
In any organisation there will always be someone who either believes that doing something like this will push them further up the food chain or has a personality/ego that requires them to be noticed....

chemical alli
30th May 2007, 09:12
couldnt decide whether to laugh or cry at the poor attempt,committment my ass,what did they do at good old engine line? find the last remaining roller to polish and the last fan set to fit in the one shot frame.also who is this blonde bimbo who appears in all and sundry.bet she is one of the promotional team wannabees,

committment,absolutely, employee specks, nice footage of oz but hey i cant fit another **** sandwhich in thanks,lets get real,morale sucks millions wasted and cabin service and amenity kits from coles foodcourt.no offense to the cc but a turd is a turd no matter how you polish it

hiflying
30th May 2007, 12:05
That's a tad harsh, don't you think Chemical Alli?
Do you even know "that blonde bimbo"?
Under entertainment law, Qantas has to pay all the employees who feature in the ads. If I was an employee working for Qantas, no matter how sucky the morale, I would jump at the opportunity if offered. I'm sure it's nothing personal. I'm sure they're not spitting at the employees who didn't fulfil the criteria.

Buster Hyman
30th May 2007, 12:54
Yeah, and some of the finest turds I've ever eaten were on Qantas!!!

lowerlobe
30th May 2007, 20:50
"Under entertainment law"...!!!!!

hiflying...Can you tell us exactly what the statutes for this law are and who enacted this piece of legislation?

As Far as your other statement "no matter how sucky the morale, I would jump at the opportunity if offered"........read my post #34..

QFinsider
30th May 2007, 23:10
There are always going to be a percentage of greasy pole climbers.
You see them featuring in CRM videos, inhabiting offices and creeping around corridors looking for the magic ticket!
Most of us don't even look at anything unless there is 5 hours 30 minutes pay, and even then will only bother if it is compulsory....

Goodwill was spent by management (pocketed) a long time ago. :mad:

speeeedy
31st May 2007, 00:55
MS at the 380 sim, but I don't have a clue who the other 2 techs are, any help?

hiflying
31st May 2007, 01:30
lowerlobe,
Are you saying Qantas did not pay the employees who featured in the ad? I would highly doubt that!

As for post #34, just because you don't identify with the people who want to push themselves up the food chain or satisfy their egos, doesn't mean there is something wrong with that! That's how people become successful and get ahead in life.

Having said that, there are other reasons somebody might want to do the ad if offered that are unrelated to ego or climbing up. Heck I'd do it just for the experience and to get a kick out of it. My 2 cents on that - don't go bashing me for my opinion.

some people need to chill

lowerlobe
31st May 2007, 03:17
hiflying,

No need for me to chill as I'm so relaxed it's not funny.I'm about to take VR so there is little that Darth or anyone can do to raise my blood pressure one point.

My point is that you read some funny things here and I've never heard of an "entertainment law".As far as I know the cabin crew in the promo team do not get paid except for incidentals etc...

They only do it for their own reasons and as I said read post #34.

Ego or ill founded belief that the company will reward them over others.....take your pick

mrpaxing
31st May 2007, 03:24
hiflying you have to understand the promotional and other qf employees which feature in theads geta free lunch (line up behind the excecutives but push in before the extras),normal pay and a slap on the back.:(

hiflying
31st May 2007, 03:29
Hi mrpaxing, If that's the case (where employees don't get paid), then I retract my statement completely. But it certainly is most unusual, especially if QF are doing this through a major advertising firm. After all, they are doing WORK and should be paid entertainment rates like actors would be if QF recruited actors in QF uniform. That's very unfair!

Lowerlobe, when I said "entertainment law" I didn't mean it as in The Entertainment Law Statute of Australia, I'm referring to the branch of law, Entertainment Law - as opposed to Property Law, Contract Law, Civil Law. Entertainment Law exists!! I'm a 4th year law student and did a unit on this last year. So I guess there must be funnier things you've heard on pprune

chemical alli
31st May 2007, 04:04
so hiflyer your a 4th year law student and wouldnt undertsand the demographic of a q employee.post at your peril, and if you would like to appear in a qf ad just turn up monday to security at qcc, shout and yell i love geoff youll be on the six oclock news.

hoss
31st May 2007, 22:11
Talk about effective advertising, some bloke just casually walked past my place whistling 'I still call Australia home'!

Charliethewonderdog
1st Jun 2007, 01:17
Maybe all this advertising ( and it seems every second add is Q) is to spend the profits and reduce the divedends to be paid to those Nasty shareholders who didn't sell to APA.

lowerlobe
5th Jun 2007, 00:33
hiflying...
Are you giving up a law degree to become a mam casual?

hiflying
5th Jun 2007, 01:55
lowerlobe,
not really "giving up" but taking a break from for a year before I enter a law job. i think mam would be a good opportunity for that.

Syd eng
16th Jun 2007, 09:24
Question was asked of me the other day about the ads.

Why is the nose of the A380 under construction Red? My only answer was that it must be going to be another paint job like OJB/OEJ. Any other Ideas?

chemical alli
17th Jun 2007, 10:56
who cares if its red, orange, blue, green, just get ready to trade away your pay to fly/fix/and chuck plates on board the giant guppy

Going Boeing
17th Jun 2007, 12:34
A rumour that was going around some timeago is that QF is going to change it's paint scheme and corporate logo when the A380 is introduced. The red nose on the A380 may be part of the new scheme.

Personally, I think that the current scheme is dateless and has not aged despite being in use for 20+ years. It's easily identified, clean, uncluttered, etc. The idiom "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies.

airsupport
17th Jun 2007, 18:06
Having seen these ads many times now, I thought that rather than anything to do with the takeover, they were in response to Qantas being named the Worst Airline in the World.

roamingwolf
17th Jun 2007, 20:50
they were in response to Qantas being named the Worst Airline in the World.

nah mate, as a few others have said they had to be made before the joke of a bid failed