PDA

View Full Version : Info on Telluride?

fokkerjet
16th Aug 2001, 02:43
Gotta trip next week into Telluride (KTEX). Anybody been in there recently that can give some tips on keeping me from hurting myself :eek: How about a place to stay and things to do :D

Air Driven Generator
16th Aug 2001, 03:10
Sorry never been there, however check out
www.telluride.com (http://www.telluride.com)

Have Fun :D

411A
16th Aug 2001, 06:59
KTEX: Airport elevation 9,078, traffic pattern altitude 10,500.
Usually land on 09 and depart on 27. BEWARE, unicom wind speed and direction is not always accurate, many times a tailwind on 09 even tho the reported winds are calm. Circle ONLY to the south and beware rapidly rising terrain to the east. Can be nasty in the winter, but summer OK except in heavy rain.
They have a landing fee, even for light aircraft. Beautiful views. NO night operations permitted. Runway slopes UP 1.9% at both ends.

fokkerjet
16th Aug 2001, 16:23
Thanks guy's for the info :D When you include the next two legs that we have to fly, I'm sure someone wants me dead :eek:

LAVDUMPER
16th Aug 2001, 18:00
Fokkerjet,

Do you intend to fly a Fokker into Telluride? That would be quite a challenge. I have seen the airport from the air - and it looks interesting... It will make you appreciate all of your other destinations more.

What do you plan to fly in there?

Cheers

fokkerjet
16th Aug 2001, 18:23
Lavdumper.

We're going in there with our GV. With this airplane, hopefully we will then be able to get ourselves out of trouble faster than we got ourselves into trouble. :eek:

Trinflight
16th Aug 2001, 18:53
Fokker,

Just think of TEX as day VFR only for the first trip in. The GV will have no problems with the climb gredient requirement. Be ware of VFR traffic (piston) departing and arriving (TEX) over placerville in the valley to the Northwest.

The New Sheridan Hotel is nice as well as the Victorian Inn. Enjoy the trip, Telluride is truely God's country.

Trinflight

[ 16 August 2001: Message edited by: Trinflight ]

DC3Flyer
16th Aug 2001, 19:32
Fokkerjet,

You sound happy about going into TEX! The only time I've been there was a couple of years ago in a citation VII. It was IFR when we arrived so we went to montrose until it was vfr then repositioned. It was quite bumpy on final. You land to the east and takeoff to the west and there is a big dip in the middle of the runway. Watch the 2nd segment climb gradient for your departure. your pax must be going fishing eh???? Have fun. See ya. :)

StressFree
17th Aug 2001, 00:26
Fokkerjet,
I've made a big decision and am moving on, I'll mail you soon with the details........

:cool:

fokkerjet
17th Aug 2001, 01:42
Stress, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek:

I look forward to hearing your plans :) I really can't blame you for moving on. Working at a satellite really sucks
:(

[ 19 August 2001: Message edited by: PPRuNe Towers ]

LAVDUMPER
17th Aug 2001, 23:20
Stressfree,

Hey, some of us would like to hear about your impending move! I've been corresponding with you ever since I started on Pprune...

Good luck with whatever you decide - and please give us a hint!!!!!

Cheers

StressFree
18th Aug 2001, 12:07
Lavdumper,
Youre right we've been talking for years.....
I'm getting out of corporate for a while and am returning to the airline world with an Indian Ocean company as a 737 captain.......

I'll keep you posted, all the best.

:D

LAVDUMPER
20th Aug 2001, 17:49
Stressfree,

I think I am familiar with the opportunity - sounds like fun!

Best of luck and keep us posted. Hope you don't change forums now....

Cheers

LimaNovember
22nd Aug 2001, 11:25
Fokkerjet,

I`m just wondering. Don`t you have an ops. dept. in your operation to help you out with briefings on new destinations?

LAVDUMPER
23rd Aug 2001, 01:07
Limanovember,

Obviously you don't know anything about Telluride. Otherwise you would understand the concern related to flying in there.

Fokkerjet is being a very prudent pilot by asking for other pilots' opinions - that shows considerable professionalism. Why not get other perspectives before flying into an unfamiliar and difficult (has a reputation for being very challenging) airport?

Limanovember, perhaps you could tone down your sarcastic tone for us in the future...

Cheers

LimaNovember
26th Aug 2001, 09:44
Lavdumper,

This has nothing to do with Telluride or any other airport. We are all (I guess) flying into new and unfamiliar airports. Some of us often, and some of us every now and then. If we all start using pprune as part of our briefing, I would think the moderators would have a few comments about it. But then again, may be not.

And lavdumper, asking Fokkerjet if he/she has an ops dept. to support in matters like this, can hardly be seen as sarcastic.

In a professional operation, a pilot have to rely on professional support in technical and operational matters from within the company. That`s just the way it is ;)

Trinflight
26th Aug 2001, 17:50
LN,

What is the problem with exchanging information between pilots? When was the last time your ops/tech support personel piloted an aircraft into any airport or into one as demanding as Telluride can be? Finally, having an ops/tech department to provide pilots with this information is not "just how it is." In many corporate flight operations, the flight crew are the ops/tech department. There is nothing unprofessional about these types of operations who,I might add, have been operating safely and successfully for many years.

fokkerjet
28th Aug 2001, 19:05
Maybe I'm missing something here but I work for a corporate flight department, not an airline, so when a flight is scheduled from point A to B, the captain is responsible for flight planning the trip. We do not have the benifit of having the support of tech people on staff to brief us. In most cases the only aid given by dispatch is to run a Jepp Plan or give us a copy of a T/L table. If I ask a question about Telluride, let's say, it's usually responded with a blank look. I perfer searching out as much information from other pilot's as possible before the trip and not wait the day of departure to see what my "package" contains.

In any case, we made it in and out with no problems. Did have a hail storm shortly after arrivial

:eek: though.

Trinflight
30th Aug 2001, 20:55
Fokkerjet,

So how did you like Telluride?

StressFree
30th Aug 2001, 21:35
LimaNovember,
You sound like a real idiot to me.
It dosnt where information comes from so long as the pilots have it prior to the flight. Doing your research well for a demanding airport is the sign of a professional pilot. Not all firms have huge operations departments to sort out airfield details.
Fokkerjet - things may be changing again, I'll keep you posted............

;)

LAVDUMPER
31st Aug 2001, 00:02
Stressfree,

Hope things are OK. Remember to keep us in the loop as well - if you can...

Regards

fokkerjet
1st Sep 2001, 17:47
I found Telluride pretty interesting. We flew in there twice, and both times the weather was pretty good VFR and light winds. After the first landing, about 30 minutes after refueling for the next days mission, we had a hail storm :eek: but it didn't last very long and did no damage. Departed the next day in clear blue skies :cool: The return, a week later, was just in front of a thunderstorm, but we were able to get in and out before it blocked our departure :)

We are still trying to set minimums for our operations in and out of TEX, but I think we are going to use a 7000' ceiling and 10 miles. This should allow us to see all the terrain on the approach, plus on the miss if we need to. Winds will be limited to a 10 kt headwind/tailwind component, 15 kts overall. We had light winds at 3-5 kts and the ride was a little rough. Once on the ground, with the GV's large wingspan at least, we had problems maneuvering around the taxiways. The airport places sticks around lights and signs to mark their locations when it snows. These sticks are about 6 feet high and we will hit them as we maneuver. Also, if an aircraft is holding in the runup area, we can not get by so I think it might be best to back taxi and use taxiway A2 after landing and when taxiing for departure.

In any case, thanks alot for the help you all gave, it was greatly appreciated :D

Stressfree. Now what's going on?

mutt
2nd Sep 2001, 07:52
LN

I'm still laughing about this In a professional operation, a pilot have to rely on professional support in technical and operational matters from within the company. That`s just the way it is

Our crews self dispatch, the Captain has the final authority as he is the person in direct contact with the VVIP. So I guess that we arent a professional operation :) :)

Does that mean that we should GROUND our CORPORATE fleet of B747's?

Mutt :)