PDA

View Full Version : UK Handling Agents?

Deeko01
19th Jan 2001, 08:10
Hello,

Here's one for you, I work for a certain large GA Handling Agent who shall remain nameless, can you tell me what handling agent/airport you most enjoy going into on a flight and why???

Shanwick Shanwick
19th Jan 2001, 14:30
Ok, so you're at Execair! Aren't they the fellas that pick you up at the aircraft, give you a cup of coffee and charge you £50 for the privillage?

Any of the U.S. FBO's are substantially better. Not only do they pick you up and give you coffee, they give you a lift to town/lend you a car, clean your windscreen, plan your flight, book hotel's etc. etc. What's more, they're both FRIENDLY and FREE.

No comparison with your outfit then?

------------------
hhhiiisssssccrrrraaaacckkkllesssshhhhhh

aerotowman
19th Jan 2001, 16:57
Whilst on the subject of handling agents I have a couple of questions.

I am intending to do some multi engine hour building and had intended to do some trips to places such as EMA, PIK etc, ( had enough of puddle jumping so its airways IFR only to proper airfields).

Now I note that many of these airfields have the magic quote "handling mandatory for all GA aircraft".

What are the likely charges for such handling? Presumably I phone a handling agent before setting off and request handling. I won't be staying long. Just long enough to pay the landing fee and have a cup of coffee/ file return flight plan. Presumably I don't have to pay £50 for handling in a light piston twin? I won't be needing fuel either.

Cheers

Aerotowman

ps I have a hi vis jacket so I'm quite capable of walking across the apron unaided.

clifton9
19th Jan 2001, 20:59
As a Handling Agent (BRS) and also a corporate pilot I can comment from both sides of the fence.

As a Pilot I like to be met by a handling agent who can offer a ramp-side pick up for my pax so they can get off the airport to their meeting asap, Then its nice to have a comfortable lounge while we sit and wait for the passengers to arrive 2 hours late or 30 mins earlier than planned. For this service Im happy to pay £50 for a King air type.

As an agent I have to keep staff on constant
call. Some days at an airport like Bristol we only see 1 or 2 visitors other days we are very busy. in the USA the volume of serious business GA traffic and the margins on jetA1 sales means they dont even need to charge. I wish I was in the same position!

Meanwhile if you would like to visit Bristol EGGD on a private flight call us well haggle!

Porgy
19th Jan 2001, 21:57
Aerotowman,

I spend my life flying an Aztec to medium sized destinations such as PIK and EMA.

Firstly, however little they do for you, if handling is compulsory you pay the same.

As you are going to pay you may as well use them to the full. Get them to get the weather, file plans, get slots, drive you around, drink their coffee, pee in their bogs.

Generally handling costs about the same again as landing. At places of the sort of size you mention you can reckon on about £45 for each (ie £90 total).

The best place I know for having good facilities but no handling is Teesside.

But there are plenty of other IFR places, such as Biggin and almost everywhere in France where the facilities are fine without the need for handling. If I were hour building I would either go to the States or France and Spain.

Porgy

Deeko01
20th Jan 2001, 01:05
Thanks for your response, I realise that it is not cheap but one thing you have to remember is we operate from large airfields and the only cost which we can move around is the handling charge and I know the smallest aircraft is not cheap but with that you get a great service and Swanwick it is more than a cup of coffee it is :

1. Meet aircraft and chock
2. Deal with passengers who have to get somewhere fast
3. Deal with crew, check if flight plan required for outbound leg and our computers are linked into to Eurocontrol at Brussels which gives us a fast turnaround on flt plans
4. check if fuel, catering, cabin clean or toilet service is required.
5. Take crew to office from aircraft
6. give them coffee
7. weather for outbound plan, we have mars terminals which you woould only find in large airports for scheduled/chartered aircraft.

in short were the best equipped and have a really friendly service, and recieve letters regularly complimenting us on our service and ask us why we never move into this airfield or that airfield because they have had bad experiences with another handling agent.

And swanwick you got it right it is Execair.

Now at Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness, East Midlands, Birmingham and there will be another 2 stations opening soon, but I am unable to give any more details as yet.

Aerotowman if you are planning on hour building we realise that youwant to do it as cheaply as possible, you could try all of our stations and if so give us a call and we will come back with a good deal.

Deeko01
20th Jan 2001, 01:10
Sorry I forgot and at Brussels South Airport, Charleroi!

Shanwick Shanwick
20th Jan 2001, 19:37
Don't get me wrong, for the corporate customer the service you provide is essential.

For the private pilot however, most of the services offered are unnecessary and to charge him the best part of £50 for a lift to/from the aircraft is taking the proverbial a little. Don't you agree?

I used the "service" at EDI last year. As I was only dropping off a pax (who walked to your office), my return plan was already filed, no weather was required, no toilet was used and no coffee was drunk. Infact the only reason I had to leave the aircraft was to pay your exorbitant fees.

Do you see my point?

------------------
hhhiiisssssccrrrraaaacckkkllesssshhhhhh

Pace
20th Jan 2001, 22:46
I go into Dublin a lot and i have to say that Park handling agents are excellent,

Always friendly always glad to see you and nothing is too much trouble.

Worth the small charges they make.

Bovey
21st Jan 2001, 17:31
Deeko01

Who are you trying to kid? Friendly? You lot spend most of your time arguing about who hasn't been doing their share!!

Luv Bovey.

PS I don't pay the bill............my company does. Bloody good coffee out of that machine though.

Daifly
23rd Jan 2001, 14:59
Oooh! Handling Agents, can't live with them, can't live without them!

Like Clifton, I too have seen both sides of the fence, but now I'm on the right side of it in corporate flight ops!

Like Shanwick said, it's essential for us to have a handling agent (and in our ambulance work in Scotland the service we receive from all of the Execairs is excellent), because our passengers need to be treated with care and led by the hand most of the time.

However, cost is ever important, so when we can we do go without an agent. Particularly at airports in mainland Europe, where the infrastructure is good enough to allow us to not bother with additional agents.

However, where I think it is getting way over the top is for smaller puddlejumpers, when a handling fee can be equivalent to an hour or so's flying. I'm not certain how the system works elsewhere, but at Luton (where I was) it is possible to not have a handling agent - just tell the tower you don't need one and the marshaller gives you a lift - the only time you might get caught out is getting back to your aircraft if you've gone landside - depending on the security personnel. Having said that the Sun managed to get a reported right up to Air Force One last year at BHX, so maybe that's not anything to worry about!

My pick of the bunch: Signature at Le Bourget. They're really helpful, have fantastic accents and let us have a car to go into Paris in for nothing (apart from the handling fee - which is comparable to everyone else at LBG). Maybe the sheer volume of agents at LBG are making customer service be the focus, which makes it different to the usual money for old rope!

StressFree
24th Jan 2001, 20:17
Shanwick,
So you went into EDI last year? Are you now in possession of two jobs? I agree totally with your comments.
All the best.
PS For the best totty use Air Azur at Nice,
outstanding - good service too.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

------------------
'Keep the stress down'

Shanwick Shanwick
25th Jan 2001, 04:17
Single piston engine, awful weather and nothing worked.

A favour for a friend and fortunately, he paid!

Brgds

Latte tester
31st Jan 2001, 02:48
Okay folks, you really need to go long range, try Air Service Hawaii in Honolulu. Great service, friendly staff, great transportation, and best of all, you're in Hawaii. All most forgot, the Mai Tai welcome,mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. ;) ;) ;)
Latte time....