PDA

View Full Version : BBJ's at Luton

Lapsus linguae
25th Apr 2001, 13:00
I noticed a blue and white machine at Luton yesterday, and a green and white one a few days earlier. Who do they belong to? Any jobs going? Thanks.

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
25th Apr 2001, 15:26
Don't know about the green and white one, but the blue BBJ belongs to the Limited Stores Group based in Columbus, Ohio.

LAVDUMPER
25th Apr 2001, 23:41
Roughly speaking, how many BBJs are based at Luton, Stansted, Farranbourough (I am sure I misspelled it)? Which airport is the most frequent destination for BBJs and why?

I know that Twinjet bases its A319CJ at Luton and Fordair bases its two BBJs at Stansted, but it would be interesting to determine the total number of "big iron" aircraft based in the London area...

Cheers

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
26th Apr 2001, 14:53
Lavdumper - no BBJ's are based at Luton although they are frequent visitors.

Stansted has a couple of Bermudan registered BBJ's which seem to be based in addition to the two operating for Fordair.

Farnborough has no BBJ's based although a Dubai registered example spends a lot of time there. I understand Biggin Hill had its first BBJ visit last weekend ... and the locals were not amused.

Difficult to say which airport receives the most visits .. many of the middle eastern examples try their best to fly into Heathrow.

SilentHandover
26th Apr 2001, 18:05
Your're right about no BBJ's being based at Farnborough, A6-HRS DUBAI003 spends a lot of time here, others just pop in and out on various visits and charters. The local planning regulations limit the number of large Biz Jets (50-80 tonnes) at LF, so I don't think it would be possible to base very many here, NetJets say that their BBJ's will be very regular visitors when they come on line.
As for the BBJ (N21KR) visiting KB at the weekend it was due to the fact that it had a bad slot out of Norway to Stansted and needed to get to Selhurst Park for the Wimbledon V Notts Forest football game on saturday so needed to be as close as poss to the stadium(hoHo)for taking the owners of the club to the ground. The locals really proved their ignorance by whinging about it, I live about a mile off of the end of runway 21(?) at KB and watched it depart, its noise level was no worse than you average Citation or Hawker 800.

Bright-Ling
27th Apr 2001, 16:32
SH....you really are the fountain of all knowledge!!!

Still makes me laugh that Sabreliners/Jetstars/G3's can go into LF with no restrictions (at the moment) but nice new wing-tipped quiet BBJ's/CJ's are kept to a minimum.

Oh well...........back to FS-KX!!!!!!!!

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
27th Apr 2001, 17:45
Bright-Ling - there are restrictions on Jetstars and the like at Farnborough. Below is an extract from a Notam for Farnborough:

AD administration: TAG aviation, Farnborough
Airport, Farnborough, Hants GU14 6XA. Fax 01252-518771.
Additional info add new paras: (H) The running of APU's is
banned between the hours of 2230 and 0630 local time. (I)
Chapter 2/stage 2 acft will not be accepted. Prior sight of an
ICAO noise certificate will be required for any acft, not
manufactured as chapter 3/stage 3 compliant, wishing to land at
Farnborough. AIP AD 2-EGLF-1-1 and 5 refer. (L1547/00)(PERM)

Moreover, last week a Gulfstream 3 had a lightning strike on approach to Northolt and requested a diversion to Farnborough. Farnborough refused to accept the aircraft as it wasn't Chapter 3 and it ended up going to Brize Norton.

Bright-Ling
28th Apr 2001, 02:10
Olney.....

...blimey!! You are very well informed.

I wouldn't start an APu in those times either.......the airfield ATC and AFRS (Aerodrome Fire & Rescue Service) are only there from 0700-2200!!!

Interesting though. Still - the airfield hasn't been around long (well since Samuel Cody tied his a/c to the tree....!) - and that Wimpey estate in Church Crookham was on the plans then!

[This message has been edited by Bright-Ling (edited 28 April 2001).]

SilentHandover
30th Apr 2001, 18:13
Mr Ling our friend Olney is the one who is mistaken in this instance. The reason that the G3 was turned away was nothing to do with the fact that it was a G3. it was due to the fact the a/c did not have the required ppr for Farnborough and customs and immigration were not available, as the G3 was coming from Bermuda TAG could not accept it for this reason. Hence off to VN.

Bright-Ling
1st May 2001, 00:15
SilentHandover.......

....it is YOU that is the fountain of all true facts at LF.

YOU ARE MY HERO!