PDA

View Full Version : Maps in the cockpit

fokkerjet
18th Jan 2001, 04:14
Our company, for the last 15 years or so, have always issued both pilots a subscription of Jeppesens, both enroute charts and approach charts. New management now whats to eliminate the dual sets, so now only one set will be available in the cockpit. What kind of policy does your flight department have regarding maps and charts?

con-pilot
18th Jan 2001, 12:33
fokkerjet, first off, I got your e-mail and as soon as I get rid if this damn virus I will e-mail you back.

Now back to your question, if your chief pilot is trying to save money by this act, start looking for a new job, just kidding (I hope).

With us it is the size of the airplane. the Sabre 65 is too small to carry two sets of Jepps. On the 900 we are getting the "Paperless cockpit", the approach plates will be on the EFICS and all we will have to carry are the maps. But, we will still carry one full set of Jepps.

On the 72 both pilots carried Jepps, that way we always knew that we had a good chance of always having current charts. It was a good idea then and now.

Mega
19th Jan 2001, 04:30
When i was in the G/A business we had one set of binders in every A/C and several extra sets in the ops office.

In almost all chartered trips/cases,we had all the destinations days/weeks before the planned trip so we always took destinations and alternates from one of the office sets and then made a note on the binder about the loan, that worked out just fine.

the binders was also returned to ops office after each trip for uppdate

As you all now there is not much space in these small planes

/M

fokkerjet
20th Jan 2001, 16:53
con-pilot and mega.

Thanks for the replies, it's always helpful to get views from others. con-pilot, I would be interested in hearing how the "paperless cockpit" concept works out. I know nothing about it other than I heard that you need to load up your approach plates in advance in case you have an emergency return. I guess the "first generation" isn't to user friendly???????

con-pilot, my e-mail also isn't to user friendly lately. If I haven't replied to you, it's because I didn't receive anything. I'll send you another address this week.

StressFree
4th Feb 2001, 23:10
Fokkerjet,
Sorry for not seeing this post earlier.
We are looking at the Jeppview system and have installed it for our ops. jepps. Its a great system and the best aspect is that it needs NO updates. Its really easy to use and dosnt cost a huge amount. Have you looked at it in DTW? If not let me know and I'll get you the details.

------------------
'Keep the Stress Down'

fokkerjet
5th Feb 2001, 01:14
StreeFree,

We started using Jeppview for the whole world, and we all enjoy using it. Our issue is with enroute maps. Over the last century, :) each pilot has been issued their own set of approach plates for the cities that we serve on our schedules, plus alternates. We also have a complete set of enroute charts for the whole US, both HI and LO. When we travel outside of the US, we have "trip bags" which cover the regions we are flying through and into, plus an extra set of enroute charts. Using Jeppview, we make an extra copy of approach plates for the cities we think we will need. So bottom line is that we have a complete Jeppesen service onboard plus an extra set of enroute maps and approach plates for the second pilot to use, no sharing.

Now management whats to change that so we share maps and plates. Reason given is that "nobody else in the industry (corporate) or Executive Jet does this so why should we?" You can argue the cost involved with supplying pilots with an extra set of maps, but I look at it as the price you have to pay to run a safe international operation!

StressFree
5th Feb 2001, 13:10
Fokkerjet,
This new 'management' of ours has a lot of opinions about what the rest of the industry does. I agree that for the tiny cost involved and a clear safety benefit its crazy to try to economise in this area.
Cheers.

:)

------------------
'Keep the Stress Down'