PDA

View Full Version : Is converting FAA-JAA worth it?

ckthepilot
25th May 2007, 00:04
I have been a FAA pilot for quite a while now, logging over 800TT with 500 of them being Multi-engine time. I have my FAA CPL w/ IR. Now, I currenty live in the US (hold a EU passport) doing my bachelors and eventually my masters degree in Professional Aeronautics over at Embry-Riddle University. I am thinking of doing the ATPL Theory through Distance Learning in the US (and JAA CPL) while obtaining my Bachelors (a year left) and Masters degree. Is it worth converting my FAA licenses to European ones? And how long is the ATPL theory valid for after taking the last exam? Will it expire?

On another note... I see people paying 100k euros for the Intergrated program at Jerez? WTF is that about?

CK

Jez_G
25th May 2007, 03:26
CK: Check your PM's

I'd be very interested to hear what people think about job prospects in the EU, with both FAA and JAA licences and a fairly substantial amount of time (approx 1500TT, 1200Multi and most in the FAA skies).

Fair_Weather_Flyer
25th May 2007, 07:38
I've been down the conversion route myself and it did cost a lot of money to do the conversion. The UK CPL IR are awkward ratings to convert and involve learning lots of "just for test" BS that make it difficult to finish in minimum times. If I had the right to live and work in the US here's how I'd do the conversion:-

-Enroll at an ATPL groundschool in the US (3 year validity)
-Find a regional airline job on a type used in Europe - ERJ, SF340, Q400 etc
-Build 500 + multi crew hours
-After the ATPL's are done you just need a checkride on the type you've been flying and you'll get a JAA ATPL and TR issued on your type
-Hunt for jobs!

But don't turn up with lot's of Multi Piston hours thinking that stands you in good stead for the RHS of a 737. It seems to be a TR with time on type that they like. Also, over here they couldn't give a damn if you have a degree or masters degree so if you could put those on hold then I suggest you get moving while the jobs market is good.

On another note... I see people paying 100k euros for the Intergrated program at Jerez? WTF is that about?

....using school connections with airlines to get into the RHS of a top airline fast. Rightly or wrongly that's much of what you pay for.

Hope this helps!

ckthepilot
25th May 2007, 16:02
school connections as in gauranteed interviews or gauranteed job placement?

Fair_Weather_Flyer
25th May 2007, 16:43
Neither! Just the possibilitt; just the same as the big US schools e.g DCA, FSI, ATP!