PDA

View Full Version : Free Citation Pilot

Pace
15th Jan 2001, 03:10
Anyone know of a N reg or Cayman Citation 500/550 In the Uk who need another Pilot.

Although I am an experienced multi engine prop Corporate Pilot, I low time on jets.
I have a current 500/550 rating with an FAA Commercial IR, Multi.

I am happy to Fly for free to build up my Jet Time

Trinflight
15th Jan 2001, 04:21
Pace,

For God's sake man put a price on it! How do you expect the professoinals out here amoung us to make a living when other people are out there offering it up for free. If there is a Citation operator out there who needs another pilot, let them pay for one. Ever heard the saying, "you get what you pay for?"

FlyingCrew
15th Jan 2001, 11:27
well, we always come across market mouse like this.

Pace
15th Jan 2001, 17:32
Hey Guys,
I live in the Uk and hold FAA Plus Cayman licences only not JAA so my possibilities are limited.
I am mid forties and although 1500 plus Corporate multi engine prop hours My citation time is in two digits (ie low)
My offer to fly for free is just for say the first fifty hours and is just to get a foot in the door and allow someone to get to know me.
Then Yes I would want paying the going rate.
I have a friend who offered to and did pay his own type rating in the recession to get an airline position, so surely 50 free hours which will just cost me my time isnt that bad.

Cheers

Pace

JJflyer
15th Jan 2001, 17:47
Donīt mind that Trinflight he is a Yank afterall and probably just learned how to spell. No wonder I could only take 4 years there.
Go for it. If you find somebody who will take you for a ride in the right seat for free. I did it to build my firdt 16 hours in a Jet then he started to pay me and paid for a rating too.
Would not be where I am today without bending over a little bit. Though try not make flying for free a habit as it will reflect badly on your finacial situation.

Still, need for pilots is increasing I would first try to get a job that pays even a little.

JJ :)

[This message has been edited by JJflyer (edited 15 January 2001).]

Pace
15th Jan 2001, 18:27
JJFlyer,
I have a grand total of 32 hours Citation mainly 550 decided to renew my currency requirements 2 months back (big bucks)
tried an advert in flight international Ģ130
So its all a bit wasted if I dont get to use
it

Pace

v2_radar_power
15th Jan 2001, 23:59
PACE, it costs all of us money to maintain our licences in GA (Medicals, checkrides, Manuals, etc.) The problem does not go away, it always burns when you fork out the cash to maintain/ upgrade.

Don't whore yourself out... Word WILL get out and you will become a marked man and then you will wish you only had problems finding Citation time.

Would you go to a free Doctor for an op?

JJflyer
16th Jan 2001, 01:32
This is what I figured out long ago... You need to do what ever it takes to get that job that pays you well. Even if it means flying for free for a while. I do not understand what this "Marked man" means as I have never had that problem since I opted to fly for free and build up hours.

In your shoes though I would go around airports in your home country. Stop by every Citation operator and give them your CV.
See what they have to say and do not offer to work for free in the first place. You might just be able to wiggle your way in the right seat on part-time basis working in the Dispatch or office full-time.

Also find out from aircraft registries every Citation operator and then send them your CV.
Use the shotgun effect, the more you send the better are your chances in getting a reply. Dont limit your application sending to one type only but send it everywhere and see what comes up.

Dont sell your self cheap but dont be too picky either. If you can get a job flying a turboprop take it as it might lead into a jet job.

Hope this helps. What ever you do nevr let those negative attitudes get you down.

JJ

Pace
16th Jan 2001, 01:35
>Would you go to a free Doctor for an op?<

V2 I get the point you are making but I also wouldnt go to a Doctor with only 32 hours on type :-)
This is my problem, maybe I will have to think of another carrot rather than free to get myself in the right seat or left on the empty legs until I can get some time built up.
Any other Marketing ideas for me other than free???

Pace

Trinflight
16th Jan 2001, 03:55
Pace,

Try the UK office for NetJets. I think that I saw a thread somewhere on the PPRuNe board yesterday. You may be able to get contact information there.

Good Luck,

Trinflight

con-pilot
18th Jan 2001, 12:01
JJflyer, sorry old boy, but I must agree with Trinflite. I'm very sorry you had to insult Americans, I have usually agreed with most of your posts, but rather bad form here.

Sorry, but if have such little respect for your profession that you think that working for free is ok, fine. The 'NEXT' time you go in for brain surgery, go to a doctor that will do it for free, because he wants the experience.

Edited to take out what I really wanted to say. By the way, I was educated in England. Went to school there, if you don't know what that means.

[This message has been edited by con-pilot (edited 18 January 2001).]

JJflyer
18th Jan 2001, 20:58
I was using a public comp that did not allow me put a smilie after that first sentence of my original. No offence meant to Americans as a group only to Trinsomething...

I cannot understand why you people are so obsessed in in the negative aspects of this work for free thing. I donīt think that anybody implied about working for free for months an months at the time, rather a way to get a foot in the door.

Getting a job is a mission. There are no second places, either you get it or you do not.
Apparently I have a bit different way of executing this mission than some of us... That is, I will do anything within my powers to get where I want to be.

When I had a total of 500 hours in early 1998 I went for a Citation rgt seat job. Well I got it and the fellow with 3500 hours and 1000 multi did not. Why? Because I did what I neede to get the job.

:) smilies seem to work ok on this comp

JJ

Flanker
18th Jan 2001, 21:54
Hey JJ

I might fly for free but I wouldn't do what you did! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

JJflyer
18th Jan 2001, 22:06
Nooh Flanker. Not that bad. I didnt wh.re myself. hahahah. Just flew for free.

JJ

Flintstone
21st Jan 2001, 00:51
Even whores get paid for taking it up the rear.

So much for the 'profession'.

Code Blue
25th Jan 2001, 03:30
I thought whoring WAS the oldest profession ;)

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-

Flintstone
28th Jan 2001, 02:31
And so it is, but they wouldn't dream of doing it for nothing.