PDA

View Full Version : Meribel Altiport

Tug
19th Apr 2001, 20:55
Anyone know anything about flying into Meribel (French Alps)? Any leads appreciated.

Flying Lawyer
19th Apr 2001, 22:56
The strip at the Meribel Altiport is short (take-off downhill/land uphill), demanding and great fun.
I assume you have mountain flying experience. If not, it would be very unwise to tackle the trip without training.
You'll be flying at quite high altitudes, where aircraft don't perform quite as well, and you may have to restrict the number of POB for the trip depending upon all up weight/power of your aircraft. I recently did some flying at Aspen Co. and a C172 with only two of us on board gave a max climb of 500 fpm at full power.
Weather in the mountains can change quite quickly. You may get to the area, and face an unscheduled delay for a day (or more), if the weather really doesn't co-operate.
If you haven't flown in the mountains previously, get some training. It's huge fun, but don't under-estimate the dangers lurking in the beauty of the scenery!

Finally, I believe ythe Pilot in Command must have an altiport authorisation to fly into both Meribel and nearby Courchevel.
The telephone number of the Meribel Aeroclub is (France) 04 79 08 61 33

Tug
20th Apr 2001, 01:40
Many thanks for that, much appreciated. There's a trip planned but very much in the early stages still.

EricTheRed
20th Apr 2001, 13:55
Anyone know if you can get a Seneca in there!? Seriously?

ETR

JB007
20th Apr 2001, 22:22
Certainly get a Seneca into Courcheval...landed there in a BE20 few years back (just as a pax!).

Flying Lawyer is correct, you will need to be checked out by the CFI of the local club...in Courchevals case, he'll come and pick you up in a 172 from Chambery.

Fantastic experiance all round.
Cheers

------------------
Hear All...See All...Say Now't.

Tug
21st Apr 2001, 01:21
Really appreciate the response. I've got a mate who is starting out in this big game of being paid to fly and is burning a big hole in his wallet getting his twin time up. Instead of flying around the UK I thought of this great opportunity where he flies and I ski! But I do have a conscience and the costs look extreme! But many thanks anyway for all the input.

Red Spitfire Driver
24th Apr 2001, 23:49
I made some enquiries a couple of years ago at my local Altiport at Megeve (nr Mt Blanc).
The CFI said that the normal way to gain a Mountain Rating was to fly around in the summer and learn about the wx, and landing uphill and t/o downhill. Obtaining an altiport rating (summer only).
Then to return again in the winter to experience the snow effect and also master skis and glacier landings !! (Thus obtaing a full mountain rating.
The School at Megeve has various Jodels and also a Piper Cub. They have a tame Air France pilot who will instruct in English, but he requires notice to arrange his time off.
Tel Megeve 04 50 21 33 67
Tel Meribel 04 79 08 61 33
Look at www.pilotplus.com (http://www.pilotplus.com)
Hope this helps - I will look out for you in August whilst supping wine on my balcony :)

Cheers

Yogi-Bear
25th Apr 2001, 13:52
I think the URL should be:
www.piloteplus.com (http://www.piloteplus.com)

Red Spitfire Driver
25th Apr 2001, 15:04
Sorry - of courze eet az ze extrah e

OOps

Gary Halliday
26th Apr 2001, 04:27
Generally, landing at Meribel is trickier in summer than in Winter due to stronger TWC. Anabatic winds. EFATO land in field uphill from cemetary
There are 5 Altiports (with hard runways) about 50 other Altisurfaces (bits of mountain suitable to alight on or plummet off) and 30 or so designated bits of glaciers where you can switch the engine off and go walk about. (take suitable precautions). None of it is less than stunning. Say anymore and the place`ll be stowed off with more Brits. Second thoughts don`t bother its French and expensive.

Yogi-Bear
26th Apr 2001, 12:06
There is a complete listing and details of all these altiports and alti-surfaces in the back end of Delage's Guide.