PDA

View Full Version : Daimler Chrysler Sell-off - GV,GIV, GIII, Hawker

LAVDUMPER
31st Jul 2001, 18:40
Just read an ad in the Wall Street Journal for Daimler Chrysler Aviation entitled "Seller Anxious" and listing four airplanes for sale:

1. GV
2. GIV
3. GIII
4. Hawker 800A

Does anyone know the reason for the sell-off? What is the status of their pilot group - any major layoffs/pink slips? Are the pilots being picked up elsewhere - at other auto companies? Anyone know what the pilots are planning to do?

I am well aware that Daimler Chrysler is going through a general restructuring. I know that heavy-iron corporate jets are easy restructuring "targets." The ad is pretty dramatic - very anxious to sell their aircraft - it even ends by saying "special incentive to close by month end!"

Best of luck to those pilots!

411A
1st Aug 2001, 05:57
Happens all the time in the corporate aviation world, sometimes with spectacular radidity----AKA: here today, gone tomorrow.
Usually however, a generous severence package is provided for the concerned flight crew. I received six months pay from one company. Smiled all the way to the bank.

fokkerjet
1st Aug 2001, 06:03
DaimlerChrysler wants to get back to the core business of automobiles and DaimlerChrysler Aviation has been sold to and member of another automobile family who lives in the Detroit area, and is going to take over the FBO and maintenance business. As far as DC is concern, they are only retaining two GV's here in the US, and the German unit will operate the A319CJ solely, and the US based pilots were laidoff effective today. The pilots on the corporate/aircraft management end are waiting to find out their fate sometime soon. :(

[ 01 August 2001: Message edited by: fokkerjet ]

StressFree
1st Aug 2001, 11:36
Fokkerjet,
This talk of returning to 'core business' sounds all too familiar, I wouldnt be surprised if we went the same way.............

:D

fokkerjet
1st Aug 2001, 16:14
Not us Stress. Yesterday I attended the "ground breaking" of the hangar expansion. That, along with several other things happening, we are here for the long haul.

How's the new Managing Director?

411A
2nd Aug 2001, 02:18
StressFree---
If your group could get away from the JAA/JAR handicap, you would indeed be 'Stressfree', I suspect.

Airking
3rd Aug 2001, 00:11
"NOT US" - I guess thats what the Daimler Pilots said when there was only Daimler - no Chrysler - and the company had about 10 billion marks reserves. Then "Shareholder value" became the issue -and gone were two just retrofitted Falcon 20s - maybe the best in the world at this time. Then Daimler had a contract with the munich charter company MTM - now they operate 3 LJ60s 2 604 and a 319 CJ. BTW they employ some 150 Persons now - when they closed done the falcon ops, they had about 25 persons involved.
No job in this business is secure !