PDA

View Full Version : Possible demerger of Jetstar

Mud Skipper
24th May 2007, 03:17
Qantas has resurrected its plans for a possible demerger of its Jetstar

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/qantas-flags-sale-of-frequent-flyer-scheme/2007/05/24/1179601537840.html?s_cid=rss_smh

So the sale did not get up and now this issue returns from the horses mouth.

Guess those old "unfounded" rumours of a Jet* sale are well and truly resurrected

We would not be looking at a management buy out would we?:}:}:}

That would help make up for all those APA fees which they lost.

This segment was bought to you by BA and Go Fly....

Mr Seatback 2
24th May 2007, 03:47
'de-merger'...why don't they call it what it is - a BREAK UP?

cunninglinguist
24th May 2007, 04:20
Bit like the " merger " of QF and TN, read: Takeover of TN by QF :{

Condition lever
24th May 2007, 04:25
Well that should keep Pete Conrad et al happy.
They can then stop whining about QF supporting J*.

I guess that would also mean that J* would then be free to compete on the BN-SY-ML routes, not to mention LAX as well.

Should be some profit to be made there.

Animalclub
24th May 2007, 04:38
Bit like the " merger " of QF and TN, read: Takeover of TN by QF

With the line up of executives after the "merger" wouldn't it be the other way around??!

Jawz
24th May 2007, 05:22
Maybe Tiger would be an interested buyer :hmm:

apacau
24th May 2007, 05:53
see http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20070524/pdf/312lz6zxv9gh0k.pdf for an interesting read on Qantas/Jetstar's future strategy.

Howard Hughes
24th May 2007, 07:34
Why would Qantas do that?

That would mean returning to many destinations that they have long since left for dead!:hmm:

J430
24th May 2007, 11:04
Demerger

I think this may be pointed more at the Jetstar Asia stuff up. What do you reckon? Local Jetstart is not the same product and not the same nightmare.:eek:

J:ok:

permFO
24th May 2007, 11:59
As far as I am aware the only part of the Qantas Group that was merged was the original Australian Airlines so any demerger would involve them. Jetstar was spawned by Qantas not merged with it.

chief wiggum
24th May 2007, 12:38
Anybody here believe in coincidences ? I mean for this to rear its head the same day that AIPA wins the right to represent ALL QF group pilots.. INcluding Jetstar ????
Call me cynical, but maybe it is another shot in the "divide and conquer" strategy. Jetstar pilots to be represented under the QF group? OK, let's sell Jetstar, they are now under the same bargaining umbrella... they have outlived their usefullness.

Just a thought

TurbTool
24th May 2007, 13:55
Where does this "RIGHT" to represent J* pilots come from. I have read the decision and all I can see is it gives AIPA the ability to accept Qlink and J* pilots as members. It follows that if nobody joins there is no "RIGHT".

Not saying that nobody will join, simply pointing out the difference between winning a right to represent and winning the right to accept members.

Angle of Attack
24th May 2007, 14:09
There is no way in the short to medium term Jetstar will be sold off, No way at all, you dont have to be even smart to see that. There are far better components to be sold than Jetstar. Dixon being thrown out is more likely than that haha! Postal or freight being sold comes to mind.

As a sidenote yes the recent court ruling doesnt give power of AIPA to automatically cover all group pilots but it is sure better than them not being able to! QF has opposed this in the courts for ages and its good to see common sense prevail. AIPA does not have a right to automatically represent all Group Crew but I beleive they have a right to offer the chance to be part of a Group body for all Group Pilots, and I beleive they will! With some bloody consequences!