PDA

View Full Version : Abu Dhabi procedures (reminders)

ATSI
23rd May 2007, 15:30
Dear Pilots...

Standard Departures OMAA

A13

Climb heading 127 to 3,000ft, maintain listening watch on tower frequency until passing 500ft, then contact Abu Dhabi Approach on 124,4

A31

Climb heading 307 to 3,000ft, maintain listening watch on tower frequency until passing 500ft, then contact Abu Dhabi Approach on 124,4

So please, contact approach 124,4 WHEN passing 500ft

Caution Visual Approaches!!!

Do not confuse the north runway under construction with the existing south runway. We're not yet allowed to say 31L/R or 13L/R.
Check your NOTAMs and AIP Supplement for OMAA (I've been told Jeppesen is not currently informing about this) and the ATIS should be broadcasting it as well. During daytime I believe the new runway is blocked by huge white cross boards, which should be visible on the brand new asphalted runway.

ILS

Please report when established on the Localizer, even if not requested by ATC.

Transfer of Communication

When you're being transferred to another ATC Unit, please readback your callsign as well !! ATC is not good at guessing ;)

Speed Control

In Class C Airspace (which is OMAA CTA/TMA) a speed limit of 250 kts is not applicable for IFR flight in and out of OMAA. You're welcome to fly as fast as your company allows you to :oh: and you don't even need to ask! Only when ATC require sequencing for final approach or departures towards ACC may we apply speed control. Please follow the speed given, and if you're unable to comply then just tell us and we'll make it happen anyway. Presently OMAA require a standard separation of 5 NMs between successive arrivals, unless a Light is following a Heavy.

ATC Clearance

ATC Clearance is available before start-up/pushback. We will require your requested level before activating your FPL in the system. This will then generate a SSR and we should be able to pass your clearance within few seconds.

POB

Even though the ATIS stopped broadcasting "at first contact state persons on board", many of you flying in and out of OMAA are very good at informing ATC about your POB. Just so you know, it is no longer a requirement from OMAA ATC to obtain this information (only during an emergency or if required).

Just some reminders... more to follow later. Please join in :) Pilot and ATC inter-action is healthy. Safe flying :ok:

ATSI OMAA

Panama Jack
23rd May 2007, 15:56
How about advertising the expected approach in use at AUH on your ATIS? Advertising "Landing and Departing Runway 31" is not great when we find out last moment that the ILS went down a couple of hours ago (had this happen once). Pilots are not talented at guessing either-- actually, we can't be bothered enought to keep guessing.

Also, I appreciate the bit of "local flavor" in the ATIS broadcast with the heavily-accented local-sounding mechanical voice, however, at times it is unclear (particularly the add-on part after the standard "winds n'weather part). Not particularly a fan of the "Aussie-chick" automated voice at DOH or the "Aussie-stud" automated voice at DXB, however, they are considerably clearer.

Thanks for keeping us updated of the changes at AUH that may miss our attention. :ok:

Togalk
23rd May 2007, 16:04
ATSI, Thanks for the reminders. And just to let you know, our rules state that we have to slow down to 250 at 10,000 feet unless you say otherwise. Saying "No Speed" doesnt work, but, if you say "speed 290 till 7000" I am all over that. We need to be at 250 at 5000 no matter what you want though. Company rules.

ATSI
24th May 2007, 10:05
How about advertising the expected approach in use at AUH on your ATIS?

Oops, I thought we did :uhoh: Valid point since its an ICAO requirement. Point taken and passed on to Management.

ATIS broadcast with the heavily-accented local-sounding mechanical voice

You're right, its very mechanical and the add-ons are sometimes unreadable. In the future OMAA will get both an Arrival and Departure ATIS. Until then you're always welcome to highlight any concerns to your management who in turn should contact ATC. Or ask the controller if its unreadable.

our rules state that we have to slow down to 250 at 10,000 feet unless you say otherwise

Some controllers knows that. I'll highlight the issue in our next monthly controllers magazine. I hear what you're saying, but if ATC doesn't require spacing of successive arrivals, speed control is not necessary for ATC and technically we'll be bending the rules := Basically "no speed restriction" means just that (fly as fast as YOU want). I also know that you'll need it as an instruction, but how can we justify it if something goes wrong? :(

Thanks for your inputs :ok:

Watchdog
24th May 2007, 10:41
Togalk,
the airline I work for (Dubai) allows >250 blw 10 "....at crew discretion with ATC approval". So if ATC have not given any speed restriction, and we are in Class C airspace, I personally keep the speed up till just above 5,000 (environmental issues considered) where the limit is mandatory. (Especially on 'going home' flights :ok: )

GTR-34
24th May 2007, 20:43
Watchdog,

The company in Abu Dhabi doesn't allow speed more than 250kts below 10000 unless instructed by ATC:( 1st time i am hearing this procedure from an "Airline" standard ops...I thought pilots were encourage to use discretions unless the company doesn't trust their pilot's judgement...:rolleyes:

yoohoo748
24th May 2007, 23:10
Thanks for the info. Most all of what you said is exactly as we understand it, but it is nice to know what you are expecting from us as well from your point of view. I come from a land where the relationship between pilots and ATC was a little more tight, and we had a bit better understanding of what each other needed, without actually having to say exactly that... on the air. Thank-you for you your input. also... if you are ever able to instruct us to go fast.. and to also apply a speed restriction,(ie: 300 or better till ???) we are most happy to comply. We just can't stand going slow.

Cheers.

NOR116,20
25th May 2007, 01:14
Quote: „We just can't stand going slow.”

Who is “we”?

What is the gain of high speed below 10000 ft: 1 or 2 minutes?

But here are the risks:
- significantly higher physical impact of possible bird strike,
- after long haul flights reduction of mental skills in combination with:
- in a flight phase of high workload: losing time reserves causing additional stress,
- unstabilized approach thus higher likelihood of go-around,
- general high risk of a ‘rushed approach’…

To ATSI:

I really appreciate your input! It is both a good idea and attitude to help and understand each other in our different roles.

However, don’t believe that all pilots like to keep high speed below 10000 ft.
I’m sure you’ve noticed already that many flights being offered high speed still slow down. As I mentioned before saving of 2 minutes flight time does not justify the increase in cockpit workload, e.g. after an exhausting 10 hrs+ flight duty. So any kind of losing time simultaneously means losing a tool to reduce stress. This applies e.g. for high speed, unexpected shortcuts or runway changes. One famous example for this is the American Airlines accident in Cali. They rushed themselves into an approach by accepting a runway change to an extend where they completely lost all situational awareness.

What I took as one of the CRM lessons is that the ‘sporty attitude’ in civil aviation is significantly increasing the risks. Same applies for the ‘competitive attitude’ (e.g. within the cockpit or between cockpit and ATC.)
Events like in Reno are better designed for this!

sidestick driver
25th May 2007, 04:47
I also know that you'll need it as an instruction, but how can we justify it if something goes wrong?

You hit the nail on the head with your last sentance and the same applies to us in the Cockpit (of course). One thing is for sure, the Captain has the responsibilty to answer when things go pear shaped, and I think the safety department has had a fair share of reports due to unstable approaches and go-arounds.

By trying to save 2 minutes , and possibly screwing things up, can cost you an off day explaining. I'll take the extra 2 minutes and avoid the office as much as possible.

Just trying to fill out less paper work, keep the file thin.:)

Thanks for the openess you have shown, in bringing up the subject.

ATSI
25th May 2007, 07:40
However, don’t believe that all pilots like to keep high speed below 10000 ft.

Exactly! Seen some reduce miles out (different from airline to airline), which I is ok with me. Don't you get paid per hour anyway? But then again ATC is a SERVICE PROVIDER so we wouldn't mind giving an instruction to fly fast if that helps you come home 2 minutes earlier.

Not all ATCOs are aware of the concerns mentioned ref. rushed approaches etc. (the Cali crash is a sad example of this), but during ATC annual Emergency Training we highlight concerns, which ATC should consider. Tried it myself by offering an opposite direction landing late on the intermediate approach (always trying to be flexible and expeditious), resulting in pilots not taking the offer, most likely because of a good CRM course in his memory and considering the consequences.
Where I previously worked (CPH), we did everything in our power to get you down as fast as possible, which worked great, even landing simultaneously on opposite parallels cutting an inbound peak from 90 mins down to 60 mins. (great show, great understanding and acknowledgement from the users, but management didn't like after a while, wonder why ;))

ATSI
29th May 2007, 06:53
Dear Pilots,

As a continued effort to improve the interaction/understanding between the users and ATC (for OMAA; can’t speak for other units), the subjects below are areas of concern, which might help you to understand ATC better but also for you to help us. I’m not trying to point fingers at anyone, just trying to make it a better environment for all of us. But please join in with comments, concerns and/or suggestions.

Runway Vacated

When required or requested by ATC, please report the runway vacated when the ENTIRE aircraft has passed the runway holding point.
It’s a nice gesture to report the runway vacated when you’re about to vacate, but we can’t really use that information.
Remember: Always vacate as soon as possible, never stop on the runway, unless otherwise instructed.

Landing Clearance

A landing aircraft will not normally be permitted to cross the runway threshold on its final approach until the preceding departing aircraft has crossed the end of the runway-in-use, or has started a turn, or until all preceding landing aircraft are clear of the runway-in-use.

An aircraft may be cleared to land when there is reasonable assurance (individually decided by the Tower controller) that the separation above will exist when the aircraft crosses the runway threshold, provided that a clearance to land shall not be issued until a preceding landing aircraft has crossed the runway threshold.

Ready for Departure

To expedite traffic flow, ATC expect pilots to be ready for departure once they reach the runway holding point. If you predict that you will not be ready to line-up and depart more or less immediately when reaching the holding point, then please advise ATC and we will either hold you at a position somewhere else or re-route you so other traffic can pass in front.

Visual Approach/Traffic Information

When you’re requesting visual approach, ATC will pass traffic information about other traffic, if any, but it doesn’t help us at all when you reply “got him on TCAS”. You’ll need to have the aircraft concerned visually in sight and report that to ATC before we can issue a visual approach clearance. Then we’ll instruct you to maintain own separation to that aircraft.

Safe flying :)

ATSI OMAA

sidestick driver
29th May 2007, 08:31
Points are taken, however, when getting taxi clearance, we are also in mind that when we reach the holding point we should be ready, but many times this is not the case. Our safety videos can take upto 13 minutes to be viewed in two languages and until we have a CABIN READY message on display, then only can we inform you that we are ready. Different Airbuses have different types In Flight Entertainment, video briefings, (or even manual briefings)which determine times of readiness. Even if we taxi fast or medium pace, it depends on the lengh of the safety briefing. Once we turn onto Zulu, how can you change or hold a departure? There is no space at X-ray.
Runway clearing:
If you have binoculars (with or without) and can see when and aircraft departs the end of a runway, then surely you can see when an aircraft on ground clears a runway and therefore the pilots do not have to waste time telling you he is clear. No doubt some one else is short finals and can't get word in.
Another thing which is difficult to comprehend, is receiving your taxi instructions when deccelerating through 50 kts on the landing roll and you have just been given a long list of taxi instruction followed by "your registration is...confirm". Surely wait until we clear the runway and then get the "taxi via MZQ-E2"

ATSI
29th May 2007, 13:51
Our safety videos can take upto 13 minutes to be viewed in two languages

Most controllers know that and its not always a problem at OMAA (so far at least), but perhaps its an idea for the airline to wait for a pushback request until the security video/presentation has been demonstrated. Like at big airports you won't be allowed to block a runway holding point, try it at Heathrow and you're dead meat :}. Once you're on TWY Z options are still there to re-route you. Ok for RWY 13 its problematic but for 31 I can turn you off via V or W and hold you before Y or on Y short of W. During mornings ATC tend to avoid the use of Y due to helicopter operations.

surely you can see when an aircraft on ground clears a runway and therefore the pilots do not have to waste time telling you he is clear

Sure I can during daylight hours, but as I said "When required or requested by ATC" make sure that the whole aircraft has vacated not just you two in front :E. During IMC/LVP/Night you might be asked.

Another thing which is difficult to comprehend, is receiving your taxi instructions when deccelerating I know that can be a big problem. During tower training the student will experience (and be told) when and when not to communicate with the pilot during roll-out. Unfortunately there's is no textbook telling ATC when exactly the time is good. Its a judgement between individuals. Having said that I'll remind the controllers/students in our monthly controllers magazine next time.
Note: the aircraft registration is not an ATC requirement as you might have guessed, but purely a requirement from the airport, which they asked us to do. If you fly EY then just give us the last two letters, other airlines normally the last three :ok:

sidestick driver
29th May 2007, 15:37
You mean that we should wake up 13 minutes earlier, to start work earlier, to board 13 minutes earlier, so that we should have the passengers watch the safety demo before push?
Somehow this would never happen, but we can taxi at 4 kts to the holding point, which is a fast walking speed and it could take us 13 minutes instead.:}

Re routing the EY aircraft will be fun to watch and see (for a while, unless its me in the que), specially with a few more (rumour is 9) more little puddle jumpers arriving on top of the 4 extra 340-600's coming soon, will be interesting.

ATSI
29th May 2007, 17:29
You mean that we should wake up 13 minutes earlier, to start work earlier, to board 13 minutes earlier, so that we should have the passengers watch the safety demo before push?
No, still arrive at work at the same time, the 13 minutes on stand A1 or at holding point 31 are the same. Can't you just include this "short-film" on the EY entertainment package instead :}. With more destinations coming, will that also include: hindi, urdu, farzi, mandarin, french, bengali, german, punjabi, russian, somali, afrikaans, arboriginal and danish. It takes aprx. 5 minutes to complete a pushback if there's no one behind, then aprx. 5 mins taxi to the holding point, so start the video 3 mins before asking for pushback :E.

With the expansion of EY and the airport, it is predicted that OMAA will become busy one day :oh:. So at one stage in the future, the users will be required to play along like they have to do at big airports ;) Ok, that time hasn't arrived yet, maybe slightly during "peaks"...

PS. play the security tape fast forward, no one seems to pay attention anyway :E

GTR-34
30th May 2007, 14:21
I think nowadays the videos are usually done by the rwy holding pts unless we have a new or sometimes not so efficient cabin manager onboard. :) As for the multi lingual videos...i hope not ;) otherwise we'll need a holding area in OMAA for ac playing safety videos. lol