PDA

View Full Version : Is EK biased towards locals?

critical winge
23rd May 2007, 15:04
Racism in the title instead of biased would be a racist thought, there is no racism in DXB is there?

Hey 4HP, bored of late, need a juicy poll. No prob :ok: your wish is my command. 4HP

Not trying to stir up too much here (ish), well OK just want to ask some honest facts. Locals getting 4k payrise out of the normal rise timeframe, they are on Final Salary Pension before they go off to to their next job, us others on the provident dream (scam)?

Yeah, yeah, we can all leave if we don't like it! But would Quantas, BA, AF, LH etc give a pay increase to whites only? THERE IS NOW AN A AND B SCALE IN DXB EK. A=ARABS, B=BECAUSE WE DONT CARE ABOUT YOU!

Man, I have heard about have your cake and eat it, but these guys are licking the plate and fighting me on the floor for the crumbs!

OK,ok, I am polishing up the CV.

picu
23rd May 2007, 15:19
What a load of drivel.
Bored of late, you say? It shows. This is now old news and was discussed in another thread.

Sheikh Your Bootie
23rd May 2007, 16:07
Well some seem teflon coated thats for sure. Most of the local guys seem decent enough, the odd idiot here and there. Same can be said of the expats!!
You signed on the dotted line CW, if ya don't like it leave dude. The terms and conditions for them are usually agreed over a shisha or two. Most of the locals don't have a good word to say about AAR.

SyB :zzz:

ekslave
23rd May 2007, 16:10
What is not common knowledge is that they now also get a 3000AED furnishing allowance per MONTH. This is to make up for the extra allowance that other Emiratis get working in Government positions.

dxbpilot
23rd May 2007, 16:19
hahaha is EK/EY/AA biased to locals ?? of course they are ! The whole country makes life very good for their people.

How dare they provide for their own ?

Strange huh ? A country that acually provides more for their citizens than non-citizens ?

very wierd

propaganda
23rd May 2007, 19:18
Not only will there be favouritism...if they could they'd only employ locals. However, their vision to be this mega carrier, expats are a necessary evil.

plt330
23rd May 2007, 22:10
critical winge,

Mate I think you should see a shrink ..

Preferably an Australian coz they are the best.

WFT

Remove Status
23rd May 2007, 23:31
CW..
Man, I have heard about have your cake and eat it, but these guys are licking the plate and fighting me on the floor for the crumbs!
:=

I guess your CV won't be as good as you thought it will be.

Crinklstein
24th May 2007, 03:37
I say again CW find the nearest exit and deploy that slide.

:yuk:

kingoftheslipstream
24th May 2007, 06:07
Favouritism toward locals is institutionalized in the UAE.
As a people, culture, race they do not have the self confidence to be as hard on themselves as they are on their "expat guests".
The western concept of fairness or justice for all or equality before the law, even the concept of the rule of law simply do not exist here.
This place is run on a concept of degenerate fuedalism.

picu
24th May 2007, 07:43
a lot of you guys are criticizing CW for his post - I was one of them too. However I only criticized because of the racist connotations and the fact that this is old news.
Effectively, CW IS RIGHT - that is, the locals do have a far better package than the rest of us. I have no objection to this simply because in my previous airline the locals (not dishdashed ones!) got far LESS which I thought was ridiculous. I know both cases are unfair but I have come to accept the situation here as frankly, there's nothing I can do about it, and whingeing won't help.
Finally the poll, if I may say, is silly. You cannot have a poll on something that is FACT - that is, that the locals DO have it easier. Whoever voted in favour of "level playing field" is either unfair or simply taking the mickey.

fatbus
24th May 2007, 09:42
loopy , kind of the pot calling the kettle black dont you think. plus you must not read the local news papers wrt to jail terms, finds, and Emiratizing(sp)

JayK
24th May 2007, 12:03
Hmm, I've heard the same from a couple mates of mine over at EK. I'm sure many of you don't want to accept the discrimination, but it's prevalent, not only at EK, but pretty much all over Dubai. A local can commint rape/murder and get as little as a years imprisonment for crying out loud! How's that for ludicrous!

nolimitholdem
24th May 2007, 14:06
BWAHAHAHAHAH @ loopy!

That "notcanada" website has to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Yeah, immigrants should stay away from Canada, it's a regular hellhole. Sort of like North Korea or South Africa during apartheid.

Gimme a break. It's about the only place in the world where they actually try and respect all cultures. It's got its problems but it's still arguably the nicest place to live on earth. Anyone can pull a few examples of racism out of anywhere, that's just human nature. That whole website sounds like professional whiners. "omigod a cab driver with a PhD!" Hate to tell ya it's not just immigrants that are underemployed. And hell, EVERYONE in Canada besides the aboriginals was an immigrant at one point. What is expected fresh off the boat - that you'll be just as established as someone who's been there for three generations?!

I CAN tell you that the "local" Canadians aren't getting one cent more from the government than the "expats". Personally I'm glad, it spares the insufferable air of entitlement.

KOTS is bang on.

divinesoul
24th May 2007, 14:39
not only is this favouritism in EK,But all over the Gulf region its locals first,then GCC citizens,then arabs etc etc hierarchy.

mensaboy
24th May 2007, 15:59
If I was canadian, and then again I might be, I would love that website. Its a work of art. I have a suspicion it has been put together by people trying to discourage the low-lifes (the 5% of immigrants that try to take advantage of countries like Oz, Canada, and the UK) from going there.
YES ITS FRICKIN COLD IN CANADA and it snows all summer !!!! That is the message that all canadians should be sending to Karachi and Kabul.
I seriously don't care if anyone thinks that is racist.
Are there any people with backbones in Canada? willing to stand up and state the obvious without fear of being labelled a racist? The Ozzies have it spot on, I have to hand it to them. If you are an immigrant A-hole, then what the heck is wrong with others pointing that out, in a loud and sincere voice?
Here is my solution to immigration woes around the world. Its along the lines of Emirates policy too................ if you don't like something about a country that took you in, out of the goodness of their hearts, then go home. Stop trying to turn decent countries into what you just left behind.
I don't see alot of people migrating to places such as Pakistan, Afghanistan, Lebanon or the likes. I wonder why?
I am so sick of political correctness. The danger is that normal decent people such as myself, will become SO fed up with things that it might turn ugly.
Yeah fine, i had a couple of pints, but if you can get beyond my emotionalism, and you still disagree with me, then I put forth that you are an idiot.
Fire away!!!!

Thylakoid
24th May 2007, 18:03
I agree with Nonlimit ... that site is crap. And that taxi driver ... he can have a PhD bought in Karama or Kochin. And he is ugly as hell:}

Canada is a free country; one may enter/leave as he/she pleases. The Canadian Government doesn't force anyone to immigrate there. So, if people with PhDs are having a hard time, they are free to go back to where they came from.:ugh:

dxbpilot
24th May 2007, 22:59
Is the poll really necessary? I don't think anyone is debating if the locals have more privilages than non-citizens. Shouldn't it be like this everywhere ? Just because in certain other western countrys it can acually work against you being a local doesn't mean it is going to be the same everywhere else.

Yes the UAE/middle east has it racist problems. Yes the courts can be very soft, depending on who the individual is and who they know.

But I think they do get it right making sure locals come first with employment issues. How many ghettos are there in dubai full of locals on the dole compared to the UK ?

yoohoo748
24th May 2007, 23:40
Canada rocks. Racism? only discovered that since I moved here.

fatbus
25th May 2007, 05:28
There was an artical in 7 days about high school entry exams that were taken by some college trained adults, the one I remember the most was a guy with an MBA from Mumby U that only got 20% on the math and 50% on the english, when the NY times talk about starting wages for MBA's of 120K per year they are not referring to Mumby U, but these are the people working with does degrees in Dubai. If you talk about the Colleges here in Dubai, well it just not worth the effort. Just look at how is going to this schools and that would answer the ?

Ghostflyer
25th May 2007, 07:03
The locals should get a better deal. Now we've got that out the way can Bliar shut the door to all those bloody foreigners and give me some value for my taxes!

As to nationality and the law, racism does not come close to nepotism and sexism here, check this out from yesterday's Gulf News:

Killer husband's death penalty commuted
By Mohammad Shamseddine, Staff Reporter

Abu Dhabi: A man who beat his wife to death has had his death penalty commuted to jail term by the Federal Supreme Court.

The convict will now serve one-and-a-half years in jail and will be deported, the court said. The convict, a Syrian identified as S.N., lived in Abu Dhabi with his two wives in the same house. On the evening of the murder, S.N. argued with one wife, identified as A.H. He told the public prosecution he slapped her twice in the face and left the house.

Dragged

S.N. told the prosecution he came back home at 11pm to find his wife standing on the kitchen balcony with "little clothes on her". He then slapped A.H. a few times in the face and grabbed her by the hair and dragged her to her room. Then he beat her with a rubber pipe.

When the other wife, M.N., tried to stop him from hitting A.H., S.N. pushed her away and continued the beating with the pipe. According to S.N., after he beat A.H. he took a shower. When he came out, she was lying motionless on the couch. He told the prosecution he checked her pulse and tried to revive her. He said he saw blood coming from her mouth followed by a yellow substance. S.N. then called the police.

During the investigation, he said he had been beating his wife for the past two months. He also said he once hit her with a skewer. S.N. claimed he could not remember how many times he beat his wife with the pipe on the day of the incident.

He said he never meant to kill her and claimed that his beatings "were not very severe". He also claimed A.H. hit herself against the wall many times. The public prosecution accused him of premeditated murder, but the Abu Dhabi Criminal Court revised the charges to fatal beating. The court sentenced S.N. to ten years in jail followed by deportation.

On appeal, the court raised the charges to premeditated murder and sentenced him to death. S.N. took his appeal to the Supreme Court. He told the court he never meant to kill A.H. The family of A.H. waived their right to the blood money. The Supreme Court overturned the lower court's ruling and imposed a year-and-a-half jail term followed by deportation.

On the night of the murder the husband repeatedly hit his wife with a rubber pipe. During the investigation the husband admitted to the public prosecution that he had been beating his wife for the past two months. He said he had never intended to kill his wife and claimed that his beatings were not very severe.

Ghost

johnnyramjet
29th May 2007, 06:27
Ghost, he gave her 2mths warning and she still would'nt listen.

Roster Change
29th May 2007, 15:11
I come to work and park in the dirt. Local comes to work, same grade and less, parks in undercover parking slot.

Remember where you are, go with the flow !

plt330
29th May 2007, 18:10
Roster change , it's very easy .. It's their country not yours... and if this really bothers you why dont you complain ?

Mr Mugabe
30th May 2007, 13:47
Damn it guys would you not do the same if you were running your own country. I sure as hell would. What do you all fight for, vote for, when there is an election in your own country. Is it not the same. I find most of them very humble when the don't have to be, really!

thefoxandfirkin
1st Jun 2007, 13:01
Of course the locals get a better deal but so what? It's their country!! We all know the score and (rightly or wrongly) we chose to work here, period.

Time to do the honourable thing on this particular thread and put-up or shut-up.

The Fox and Firkin

Schnowzer
1st Jun 2007, 16:27
'For Fox sake, give me a Firkin pint!' Still got the Tee shirt!:ok: