PDA

View Full Version : Cape Town runway strikes again?

4HolerPoler
23rd May 2007, 12:05
This from R&N - any truth in it?

on 16 May the outbound SA262 to frankfurt was delayed by more than 5 hours reportedly due to an aircraft being damaged on landing by runway debris. The a/c type a340-600. Passengers awaited the arrival of a replacement a340 as SAA had ferried the damaged a/c to FAJS for technical.

4HP

BOK2GO
23rd May 2007, 16:39
I don't think so. I work there and this is the first I hear of it.
By all accounts the feedback is that the surface has never been better.
I just wish they'd finish already!!!

divinehover
24th May 2007, 15:51
I agree they do need to finish. I think we are going to need those centerline lights this winter

Speed Managed
25th May 2007, 02:31
I cannot confirm what happened on the 16 May.

However, I operated SA263 FRA - CPT, about just over a month ago.
The runway was notamed to be open for operation from 0500 local. For this reason, all planning prior and during the flight was to land in CPT at 0505. We arrived overhead Robben Island at 0500 and held there for 45 minutes before the runway was opened!!!
We obviously filed a report, only to hear (which I confirmed with that crew) that the week before the same flight actually diverted to JNB because of the exact same reason!
A report had obviously been filed and the issue had been taken up with ACSA, and the same incident occured a week later! And thats only the incidents that 'I' know of!

I cannot believe how ACSA, who is making a fantastic profit, can expect it's clients to carry the costs, not to mention the logistical and PR issues. However, I suppose they not alone in this industry in this regard.

BOK2GO
25th May 2007, 15:42
May I just compliment the crews of SAA263 for not taking it out on the poor ATC stuck in the middle of the ACSA/Contractors debacle on those mornings.

innersole
25th May 2007, 18:41
Hate to disagree, but having operated in CPT for 20 years, the surface of 19 is at its worst ever. I appreciate that they can only work on sections at a time, but it's as smooth as Kinshasa!

Goldfish Jack
26th May 2007, 02:16
It was about 2 weeks ago

Not SAA262/3 but SAA220 to London - picked up a cable and a light as it entered the runway in the centre bogey - when crew picked up the gear, the cable was beating the underbelly to death and despite a few rotations they could not get rid of it.

Dumped fuel and came back. There was some damage to the gear, so it was decided to ferry the a/c to FAJS with the gear down to get it fixed. THe knock-on effect was delay to a few flights one of which was an outbound Frankfurt flight.