PDA

View Full Version : Meridian ex EBB

cockyjester
23rd May 2007, 11:16
Does anyone have any info about an outfit called Meridian (or similar) planning ops from EBB to NBO and possibly MBA?
Will they succeed where Victoria International failed? (Better booking system?)

AAL
23rd May 2007, 11:32
No they wont succeed where East African- and Victoria International failed. A start-up can not compete against Kenya Airways' established capability and cross-subsidised routes.

There will no doubt be the romantics foolish enough to try.

cockyjester
23rd May 2007, 12:27
Hi AAL, I agree it is a difficult monopoly to overcome thats why I am wondering what backing they might have to take on KQ (I hear they might have management backing from a EU airline)
Of course if they have the right connections in Uganda there is no reason why they should not get an equal playing field for slot allocations etc under the bilateral, where I think the others failed?
Do you have any info about the actual airline?

AAL
23rd May 2007, 17:45
Hi Cockyjester, there is always some nut in Uganda wanting to challenge fate. Remember that East African, as the virtualy "privatised" ex-Ugandan Airlines also benefitted from bilaterals, influential involvement, and endless subisdies, waivers and life-lines.

Everybody was sitting back waiting for Victoria International to crash, instead they never even realy took off. Their excuse at the time of computer reservations systems shortcomings was merely an excuse for their failure to attract passengers who in the region are very loyal to Kenyan.

My opinion all that can work out of EBB is a good quality and reliable secondary regional type service provider, one thats better than all the other little and odd one's flying around.