PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air Pilots.. Will you resign for QR?

kissmecaptain
23rd May 2007, 08:56
Time has come for a number of people who have passed their interview and sim ride for Qatar....

So are you gonna resign?

Is this your 1st choice job?

Or are you using this as your fall back job? Hold them off for a while until you've had your Etihad, Emirates, Far East, European, North American etc Airline interview?

I know its an extra 1000BD per month, prob 3 years to command, new aircraft, nice routes and they will pay your bond off, etc....

Is there enough to do on days off? Qatar Management (not that Gulf Air management is any good!)? Is your family gonna be happy there? Schooling? Housing? etc.

Comments would be appreciated from Qatar pilots and ex Gulf Air pilots who joined Qatar.

Thanks.

ironbutt57
23rd May 2007, 09:44
more than one is/has already headed that direction...but as capts so the time to upgrade is impertinent

BYMONEK
23rd May 2007, 12:41
Impertinent?

Don't you mean 'irrelevant'. Or did you really mean 'not showing proper respect' by going as DEC?

jackbauer
23rd May 2007, 18:17
After attending the open days by each of the Gulf Airlines I think quite a few guys will be tempted by QR. The only issue apart from the loony boss, is the time to command. By far the most dissapointing was EK. The general feeling was the package is not enough to tempt people to live in Do-Buy. Imagine having to re-sit your driving test :rolleyes:Overall a bad sales job by the two speakers. Etihad still remains the job of choice for most IMHO.

Tachi
23rd May 2007, 18:22
Will You leave Gf for QR? what cheek? what question? is there anything to think about? Half a loaf is better than none. Remember that and MASALAMA.

popay
23rd May 2007, 18:37
Tachi, hi there. I couldn't agree more with you. It's a tricky situation requiring a cool head. Play your cards wisely, just like poker. Remember the market is your favour. How about to wait and see. I don't think GF pilots will be left on the street jobless but will be some kinda take over deal sooner or later. I'd wait and talk to your bosses to get prepared to negotiate when it comes to that. You'll get the best deal by getting organized and structured negotiations. The worst deal in case of uncontrolled break out of panic. Just my thoughts.
Cheers.

Panama Jack
23rd May 2007, 19:14
One of the more cool-headed discussions over the last few days.

Well summed up jackbauer.

popay, do you mean you think that you think GF might be merged with another airline? Frankly, it will be interesting if this is not a long-term possibility in the Gulf region, particularly in the UAE. Hey, maybe there will be a full circle some day?

popay
23rd May 2007, 19:53
P.J, well lets call it an integration, shall we? Yea I think it's irreversible. GF is on it's path down and got two options.
1. Shrink to a small regional career quite tough though due to increasing competition of the low cost airlines in the region. I dont see it as panacea for GF.
2. Get swallowed integrated into one of major ME careers (EY) with gradual dissipation from Bahrain as headquarter, appears to be the most sensible solution for me.
Gf isn't gonna disappear just like that from the market, since it's also a political question. Therefore some solution will be found. I personally wouldn't make a move till the operation effectively stops.
Cheers.

salamalikum2
24th May 2007, 09:55
Lifewise i donīt think itīs a good move from BAH to DOH...:hmm:

EK Snorkel
24th May 2007, 12:22
If I would be in your shoes I would join Etihad or better go back to the US/EU. I.e Virgin America is hiring A320 pilots for its SFO base:D

Do not join EK, rostering and other issues are a disgrace down here...:mad:

Good luck

kissmecaptain
24th May 2007, 12:23
Thanks for all your responses...

Tachi, maybe you could keep us all informed on your move to Qatar? Family life, housing, roster, training etc....

Maybe a daily diary on pprune? (O sorry was that a bit cheeky!)

Tell us all about your new loaf, I mean life!!

Panama Jack
25th May 2007, 12:04
Your bringing it up the topic, popay, reminds me of this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147385

popay
25th May 2007, 12:45
P.J, gotcha. That perfectly makes sense to me. Look what's happening in EU KLM and Air France or far east CX and KA. Consolidation is unavoidable if one wants to survive on the long term run. Over here the ambitions and corruption prevail, therefore the consolidation will be due in some time ahead. I hope not before the next 15 years. It's good for us as we benefit from inability to cooperate. :ok:

Stratosphere6000
25th May 2007, 12:50
It's good for us as we benefit from inability to cooperate.

Good one...very funny indeed.........

gnadirs
26th May 2007, 10:35
I would say all the GF boys are more than welcome overhere!

At least we know they can fly an airplane, their brain can widstand the summerheat and they do spaek English!

Beats most of the new joiners we have seen entering lately, thats for sure!

One little warning though:

Dont expect to be upgraded within at 3 years inside the company. If you join now, it will be more likely to be around 5 years. Still not bad but correct is correct.

popay
26th May 2007, 18:26
Gnadirs, as mentioned before I 100% agree GF boys are not only welcome but for sure a big gain for QR. However as you've mentioned there's issues they are worried about. One of them is upgrade. Just imagine someone short before upgrade gotta go and start all over again. One possible solution for QR would be introduction of accelerated upgrade like CX provided the requirements are met. I'm sure QR will be ready to talk if the number is right let alone there's no one to prevent such a deal. Ouch.... shut I just shot my self in the foot. Anyhow best of luck to you guys. :ok:

Panama Jack
27th May 2007, 06:04
Over here the ambitions and corruption prevail, therefore the consolidation will be due in some time ahead.

Unforunately, not only ambitions and corruption prevail, but also entirely too much easy money and overheated egos. I suspect that future generations of considerably poorer Khaleejis will openly ask themselves "what was going through the minds of our great-grandparents to squander the single largest natual resource in the history of mankind?"

Of course, I will have probably received my final reward before then (death) and probably none of us will want to be anywhere close to the Middle East when the future generations demand the answer to this and other deep and disturbing questions.

loc22550
27th May 2007, 17:53
The MAIN issue will be probably the live in Doha..expecially for Non Bahraini guys who maybe will have to bring their family here...
This is another big issue here.., you should just Hope that your family will "survive "here...:hmm:
Cheers.