PDA

View Full Version : CASA sending out another letter, re Fees

2p!ssed2drive
23rd May 2007, 01:24
... So I found a letter from CASA today in the letterbox.

Seems they're now charging for

- $25 printing examination record
- $25 printing a copy of a flight crew licence
- $25 for reprinting an updated flight crew licence

Then it goes on to say.... "you are not legally required to maintain a current copy of your licence in order to exercise the privileges unless it's entered in your log book"

haha, ok, I won't!

Also the Medical fee is decreasing from $130 to $75 after July 1. Too bad if your medical falls before that - like me :ugh:

Anyone else get the letter?

Mr. Hat
23rd May 2007, 02:03
So each time you do a renewal or endorsement add 25 dollars to the cost? Am i reading that right?

.....keep it coming less and less people will want to learn to fly if the costs keep going up.

25 dollars is alot for your average pilot in GA, along with all the other incentives....:D

Howard Hughes
23rd May 2007, 02:04
Yep got it yesterday!

As CASA have decided that $130 is perhaps too expensive for doing virtually nothing (surprise surprise). Just wondering if we have a case against them for a class action? Any legal eagles care to comment?

I mean after all it is meant to be 'cost recovery', not blatantly ripping off of the aviation community! They are after all a Government agency, not a private company.

Funny how after years of being told to carry your licence, we now no longer need to carry an updated copy (if I am reading the flyer correctly), so long as we have the stamp in our logbook. Funnily enough I don't think we are required to carry our logbooks...:rolleyes:

Guess what the first thing the CASA officer will ask you when you get ramped! Licence and medical please...:ugh:

J430
23rd May 2007, 02:39
Howard old mate,
You thought your eyes were deceiving you??? Felt you might need your medical reviewed on the strength of that??? Yep You read it right!:eek:
J

PS Guess there will be a need for some new fees, that mailout must have cost in the order of $50K

ForkTailedDrKiller
23rd May 2007, 02:45
"Guess what the first thing the CASA officer will ask you when you get ramped! Licence and medical please..."

but then again .... when you have NEVER been ramp checked in 35 years?

Dr:cool:

Howard Hughes
23rd May 2007, 02:53
5 times in 24 years...;)

Last time I was asked for my Licence, medical and logbook...:eek:
Me says "but I am not required to carry my logbook", "Oh OK, just your licence and medical then"...:hmm:

Ron & Edna Johns
23rd May 2007, 03:25
The bit I "liked":

"If you are renewing your CASA Aviation Security Idnetification Card from 1 July 2007 there will be a fee increase. This is due mainly to increases in charges for background checking by security agencies."

But they didn't have the balls to say in this letter what the new fee will be!

And "mainly" due to increases? Well, what's the reason for the rest of the increase?

Anyone know what the new fee will be? It's probably around here somewhere and I've just overlooked it.

Yup, the security empire is rapidly becoming a self-sustaining but meaningless entity. We have completely taken leave of our senses in Australia.

Bidgee
23rd May 2007, 03:43
I am in the process of renewing my ASIC. (CASA issued)
I phoned CASA to ask if I could use my old (unexpired) ASIC as a primary or secondary proof of identification and was told no.
This document (that one must prove identification to get) apparently is no good as identification.

Yep, that makes sense. NOT............

Peter Fanelli
23rd May 2007, 05:06
In my last week in Australia I was ramped 5 times in the one week.
Talk about harassment.

j3pipercub
23rd May 2007, 06:22
I got the letter today,

Found in the past that if you took your endo slip into an office (BNE for me) the ladies at the front desk never charged as they figured that 130 for a licky sticky was ridiculous. Nice to see a small reduction in fees tho

j3

To infinity & beyond
23rd May 2007, 07:30
Issue of an ASIC, if background checking is required
processing and consideration of application - $196

Straight from CASA website. More Fees here:
http://www.casa.gov.au/corporat/fees/index.htm

To infinity & beyond
23rd May 2007, 07:38
Listening to industry

CASA remains strongly committed to engaging in effective consultation with people in the aviation industry. Consultation on the new fees began in September 2006 and finished on 31 October, with a second round of consultation conducted from December 2006 to January 2007.

I think the consultation was " This is how it's going to be", and when challenged "well we consulted for a whole month".

Chimbu chuckles
23rd May 2007, 08:09
A whole month over Xmass/New Years:ugh:

When I renew my ASIC is it the whole BS process over again from scratch or a simple fee for renewal?

How on earth can they justify the current ASIC not being sufficient ID for renewal...public servants:ugh:

j3pipercub
23rd May 2007, 08:19
Just did my renewal, whole BS again, new photo, 100 points ID certified copies, after all you could have become a tewwowist.

j3

Peter Fanelli
23rd May 2007, 08:25
A free sticky licky from the ladies behind the counter, the mind boggles :ooh:

Islander Jock
23rd May 2007, 09:14
You could always try other options for re-issue of an ASIC. Just about every licenced aerodrome is now an Approved Issuing Authority. Two things you cannot escape are the cost of the criminal history check and the card printing costs. Current figures I have are around $100 for both but this will rise to about $130 when Attorney Generals Dept takes over the checking. Depending then if the AIA itself is going to add any costs. Good news is that AGs dept are boasting a 5 day turnaround for the background check which probably should have been the case all along.

My advice - DO NOT go to CASA for your ASIC. It is not their core business and you are only adding another unnecessary layer of bureaucracy to the process.

Xeptu
23rd May 2007, 11:52
To All Staff
All Departments of the Public Service
In response to the Ministers letter dated xxxx regarding the outstanding performance of those Government Departments with respect to Cost Recovery. We note that the Treasury was not included and quite frankly, that makes us look bad.
We are delighted to advise that in keeping in step with Government Policy on Cost Recovery, effective 1st July 2007 a small fee of $25 will be applied to all Government employees salary, in order to cover processing and handling cost at the end of each pay period.
Any additional allowances which may be claimed within each pay period will attract a $5 handling fee.
A $10 fee will be applied to all Employees who use periodic deductions for each such occasion.
Elected Members of the Parliament will incur an additional fee of $20 This is due to fact that you are politicians, for no other reason.
The Treasury in line with Government Policy has consulted extensively among Treasury Staff as to how best to apply these charges and will be subject to review.
We acknowledge this will not be popular among Government Employees, however it is regretfully unavoidable as we can not have other Departments of the Government performing better than the Treasury Department.
Regards
Chief of Staff
The Treasury

Capt Hollywood
23rd May 2007, 12:05
NOT being able to use your CURRENT ASIC as a secondary Proof of Identification. What a classic!!

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

CH :cool:

Muffinman
23rd May 2007, 23:06
Here's an opportunity for the nostalgic and flash your DCA DOA DOT CAA licence along with 1000s hours of oil/fuel/gravy/beer stains on the jacket with the groovy little cord spine full of colour coded inserts and wait for the ramp check question "what's a class 4 instrument rating...SCPL...what - you did a morse code test?"

As per CAR 5.56 (3) do I get a free shopping trip to the big smoke to produce said docs? or trust the snail mail with my logbook?Maybe the chaser needs to send the 'spruiker' or the 'fine guy' over to CASA for a visit.

Muffin

j3pipercub
24th May 2007, 00:59
Small victories Peter, small victories :E

Max Talk
24th May 2007, 01:05
Just to add to the list of "departmental credits", last October when I did my medical, I filled in the form to have the $130 CASA fee taken out of my credit card. The card was due to expire at the end of November, so no major problem there. Well, normally. However, in January, I received a note from CASA saying that my card had expired. Wow, that's quick !!!. I thought then, that if they were so inept, I could ignore it, and fair chance they would forget it altogether. But alas, a month later they actually phoned me to ask for the new card expiry date. Makes you wonder how these guys would fare in the real world. :ugh:

one dollar short
25th May 2007, 01:18
I still think the big rippoff is the casa fees for the ASL exams.
It virtually went from 50 bucks for a set to 50 per exam overnight.
I know that this was quite some time ago but im still upset about the fact i had to pay old mate casa 350 bucks for my ATPLS and if i did it a bit earlier it would of been for the 'set'
They dont even supply the paper the KDR's are printed on and there is nothing to send out in the mail, its simply electronically recorded somewhere that ive passed the flippin exam. and they still charge 50 bucks. Only theory I can come up with is that they have to pay some neurotic english teacher a huge wad of cash to come up with some of the bullsh*t questions they do.

grrowler
25th May 2007, 02:27
I had a very similar situation to Max.
Medical start of Sept
CC expiry end of November
Letter informing me of the problem February
Rang to pay, no answer, and left messages 2 times through March
Received second letter in April to say if I didn't pay it would be given to Debt Collection Agency
Rang and left 2 more messages (again no answer)
Gave up and went for the snail mail payment option
CC debited in May
BTW They never bothered returning any of my calls, I guess they are so flat out.:rolleyes:

$130 for 8 months work - that's good value for money!!:ok::ok:

CrackedBlade
26th May 2007, 06:18
I just love the fees. Been out of the game for a few years and looking to get back in. Kaaaaaching!

ayaarr
26th May 2007, 06:31
Do any of the CASA reps ever visit this site
If so I have some questions to ask...

Capt Wally
26th May 2007, 09:12
..............to me there is an advantage to yet again another paper letter from CASA.....more fuel for my wood heater !..with all the crap they print I'd say I'll be warm for another week or two 'till the next letter arrives!

Tell you what we ought to do here. After years & years of paying fees for all sorts of rorts to CASA or whatever they will call themselves next & seeing as at the end of the day when we hang up our wings & the licence is worth less than the paper it's printed on we ought to charge them for handing it back. Lets say $100 a yr (for fees & charges, more really but it was 1960 when some got a licence) and 40 yrs worth of flying.....= $4000.......gotta love that!...............well nice dream anyway:-)

Warm Capt Wally :-)

bentleg
27th May 2007, 07:00
landof4x said - The letter also said about the cost recovery system as a "government policy". Guess that's why I won't be voting for them

What makes you think the other mob will be any cheaper? Not very likely. Pilots have lots of money, let's take it off them and give it to the needy.