PDA

View Full Version : RAF on the F word

DKP1
22nd May 2007, 20:30
Cant beleive the pilots have said "sport of kings" and "very expensive toys"

I mean, are we not trying to improve our pr and do we do this by saying we have toys and that the flying is sport???

Surely talking about how vital the F3 fleet is in defending poor old blighty would have been better??.....

blot bang rub!

themightyimp
22nd May 2007, 20:40
Good to see that they gave an excellent impression. What a bunch of to$$er$ :ugh:. Still, they are the finest; Tesco finest :D:D

Lima Juliet
22nd May 2007, 20:41
No...It is the Sport of Kings and they are great toys - unfortunately Mrs LJ made me get rid of my toys a few years ago :{

Come on mate, the lure of toys got me into the RAF in the first place - all got a bit serious during and ever-after GW1. Surely, this is just the sort of promotion we want for one of the coolest jobs in the world; I'm sick to the back-teeth of namby-pamby RAF fluffy adverts about "you don't have to fly to be in the RAF" and "the RAF is more than just Pilots". Now that is a load of tripe; flying is our core business and we should be proud of it!

What was funny is that the skinny pilot on the F-Word has a callsign of "Fats" - surprised that Gordo didn't pick up on it?

Standing by for the abuse from pongos, penguins and fish-heads that don't have cool jobs...;)

LJ

SirToppamHat
22nd May 2007, 20:47
DKP1, I know what you're saying, but I am sure masses of things were said, and the TV chaps will, of course, keep only the bits that suit them.

Would you have preferred a 3* to pitch up and preach the party line for the camera? How much of that do you think would have reached the screen?
I was just a bit concerned that the next time they are scrambled, there might be a delay because of the crews being in mid-fry-up! I also thought the cheese and ham toasties looked better than the alternative, and I doubt the ingredients were truly representative of what's available in the Q shed! I can just picture the scene when the guys come in to find someone from the other watch has had it away with the cardomen (sp?) pods and cinnamon sticks!;)

It's past my bed time.

brit bus driver
22nd May 2007, 20:48
LJ - much as my fingers are fighting to agree and support the fighter fraternity, I have to agree. If they'd had some boring git blahing on about how vital the role is (though I think you'll find that this was highlighted by Mr R) there would have been the opposite reaction on here. Nothing wrong with a bit of gratuitous back-slapping and some nice aerial shots - some spotty youth may just have been enthused enough to show an interest; I doubt that a declaration of military priorities would have had quite the same effect.

Oh, and I did hear it was a case of

......airborne.....g.......queasy.....bag....chunder.....'ch under in a bag - done!' :yuk:

Any truth?

brit bus driver
22nd May 2007, 20:50
Bugger - STH beat me to it! Still, glad I'm not alone!

Wingswinger
22nd May 2007, 20:55
'twere the "Sport of Kings" and they were "very expensive toys" 35 years ago when I joined. Plus ca change....

Lima Juliet
22nd May 2007, 20:56
airborne.....g.......queasy.....bag....chund er.....'chunder in a bag - done!'

I believe so...I wasn't there to see it though.

We used to get a chef on Southern QRA - they obviously slum it up North???

By the way, official secret, it wasn't the Q shed that they showed on telly either (Sh...Mum's the word), they were in the Sqn crewroom!

High_Expect
22nd May 2007, 21:00
DKP1 jealousy is a terrible thing, and despite your best efforts to hide it I believe that might be what you’re are suffering from…. :}

….. Now go and light an extra CS tablet in tomorrows chamber run to make yourself feel better.. C##K!
:ok:

Brain Potter
22nd May 2007, 22:53
It makes a refreshing change to see a TV piece that a Sqn Commander hasn't hijacked for himself. So often the chance for genuinely good PR/recruiting is wasted because senior officers can't resist the temptation to get their own mug onto camera. Far better to show folks that the audience have a chance of identifying with - Good effort 43.
BTW what odds on chorizo-whatever being cooked in that crewroom again?

billynospares
23rd May 2007, 06:46
Yea but come on. Only fit half an hour in for lunch !!!!!!! :hmm:

Mr Blake
23rd May 2007, 07:07
Cheese toasties!!!!!! Couldn't they have walked 5 minutes to the excellent feeder. What a slur on the catering staff at Leechers. Did you also notice the token Liney backtracking on crew out? I suspect not only to keep away from this boys backslapping, but to avoid the humiliation of being crated.

And it is not the finest fighter in the RAF. It is the only fighter in the RAF. Apart from RAF Reg of course.

snapper41
23rd May 2007, 07:23
To quote Leon: 'I'm sick to the back-teeth of namby-pamby RAF fluffy adverts about "you don't have to fly to be in the RAF" and "the RAF is more than just Pilots". Now that is a load of tripe; flying is our core business and we should be proud of it!'

Leon - grow up

Chris Kebab
23rd May 2007, 07:38
Cripes - themightyimp - you must have one hell of a chip on your shoulder matey. Registering with PPRune to make that your only posting. Presumably you didn't get in?

Fly ANY fast jet - it is indeed the sport of kings.

DKP1
23rd May 2007, 07:52
I dont think a 3* spouting would have been better than talking to the JO's....... I just think that describing the RAF as bit of a club to the british public that fund us wasnt the best idea. The tax payers need to know that they are getting "value for money." This years RAF air display isn't all just fast low noisy stuff but a demonstration of their relevant role.... An E3 in a racetrack with 2 F3's doing a CAP, followed by GR4's attacking the groung and then the F3's chasing down 2 hawks.... letting the people know what we do and how we do it. It is the impression of many of the public that we do just p*ss around punching holes in the sky stunt flying.

DKP1
23rd May 2007, 07:56
I dont think a 3* spouting would have been better than talking to the JO's....... I just think that describing the RAF as bit of a club to the british public that fund us wasnt the best idea. The tax payers need to know that they are getting "value for money." This years RAF air display isn't all just fast low noisy stuff but a demonstration of their relevant role.... An E3 in a racetrack with 2 F3's doing a CAP, followed by GR4's attacking the groung and then the F3's chasing down 2 hawks.... letting the people know what we do and how we do it. It is the impression of many of the public that we do just p*ss around punching holes in the sky stunt flying.

Oh and I'm not a rock.....

blot bang rub.....

BluntedAtBirth
23rd May 2007, 07:58
So no one mentioned Pay-as-you-Dine? Got off lightly there then :)

SaddamsLoveChild
23rd May 2007, 08:06
The F3 Farce would be my choice:\.

XferSymbol
23rd May 2007, 08:22
Nice to see the FJ stick-monkeys bigging themselves up eh? :ugh:

Waiting now for the 'Lord Flashard' egos to reply........:}

Take That
23rd May 2007, 13:27
DKP1.

Yawnnnnnnnnn....

The mightyimp.

Who on earth rattled your cage to make such an offensive attack.

From my dog-eared copy of Robert Prest's 'F4 Phantom, A Pilot's Story'. Chapter 5, spookily titled 'Forty-Three Squadron, Fighting Cocks'

'Air Combat, the sport of kings. Detachment to Malta and intensive flying phase, twenty eight sorties a day (those were the days). 'Okay,' Boss says, 'take tanks off ships, lets go do ACM!' Here I get my first early taste of Phantom combat. Surely this is what being a fighter pilot is all about, me against him, one brain against another, one set of muscles against another, he who flies the smoothest, the meanest, the most cunning, most aggressive, most tactical fight within the legal limits wins, it is as simple as that. So all eyes brighten, secret pet theories germinate. We all start off with one versus one. We fire up the birds and all day long leap into a superb cloudless sky to trail thunder across the Mediterranean Sea'.

That book was part of the inspiration to me to work harder at school and get onto a Fighter Squadron. It conveys a sense of spirit, cameraderie, tradition and elan that depite years of erosion through continual ops, political correctness, doing more with less and just the odd bit of small minded envy, can still be found, certainly within the Squadron that I'm currently on. Last night's peice, from the people I've spoken to this morning who do not serve in the RAF, was really well received. Personally, it does more for PR than our current Media Recruitment Campaign and an endless stream of glossy magazines. If you didn't like it, well I'm sorry, but offensive remarks do not really add to the debate. Would you have a different opinion had it been your unit?

43(F) Sqn, well done. Great peice.
:D

theonewhoknows
23rd May 2007, 17:17
DKP1 - words fail me; are you for real? Do you have the courage to say who you are? No - didn't think so.

Lima Juliet
23rd May 2007, 17:25
Take That - Take This :ok: Well said, mate! :D

Speedbird777
23rd May 2007, 18:29
I'm non RAF and thought it was superb. Made me green with envy that I dont fly something fast and noisy!

Rather than come across as a bunch of self celebrating mavericks I thought they seemed like a good bunch of guys who are clearly very good at what they do.

XferSymbol
23rd May 2007, 18:40
I have to agree that the drivers do a fine job. And with it comes the plaudits for playing their part in the bigger team. Its just a shame that most - FJ types usually - have little or no capacity to recognise that they are not the be-all-and-end-all in the RAF, and that includes the aircrew community.

:hmm:

ARINC
23rd May 2007, 20:20
At the end of the day Gentlemen these are the Guys that might get shot at...A fact not lost on those of us who have many a time strapped rather pale looking Jockeys and Navs into Aircraft carrying things that go bang. Some of whom incidentally didn't come back.

I suggest those of us who have not had to face those demons wind it in.

brit bus driver
23rd May 2007, 20:23
Me. Stick monkey - yes. FJ pilot - no. Let's face it, that's what sells to the public and all the potential little Johnnies out there. When I applied, it was to fly Phantoms...didn't pan out that way; hey ho and (quite) a few thousand hours down the road I have no regrets. But, would the back end of a Nimrod have inspired me in quite the same way? Absolutely not. Again, no disrespect to the job, we all have a part to play, but given 3 minutes of prime time TV, where would you pitch it? As I recall, all the aircrew were pilots - the navs were not even given a nod. Let's face it - the state we're in we need all the positive PR wecan get. This was one.

DKP1
23rd May 2007, 20:28
Look............I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I was just amazed at what I heard. It was not a personal attack, I've been in long enough to know how good the job is, I just dont think it was an appropriate attitude to put across to I guess millions of viewers. Lots of people are working hard to improve the image of the Royal Air Force, especially as we need to constantly train at home (and keep the public happy about this), for the operations that we are involved with continuously elsewhere.

I suppose you have to consider the perception from the outside is not always the same as inside, hopefully the comments above by non RAF types mirror the perception of the piece by most of the viewers.

IMHO the media ops bods didn't brief the aircrew well enough......

samuraimatt
23rd May 2007, 21:51
IMHO the media ops bods didn't brief the aircrew well enough

Well boo hoo to you. Grow up, get over it and move on. Sheesh:rolleyes:

Flak Jacket
23rd May 2007, 22:32
You need to get out from that little hut beside the active mate, if you think that they are the only ones that are in danger of getting shot at. Be it from the ground or air to air, other assets are sometime more front line than you think!

soddim
23rd May 2007, 22:33
I have no doubt that if the technology existed during the Battle of Britain, a TV programme would have elicited similar possibly off-beat comments that the disgruntled would have picked on.

The difference then was that (a) we had a National sense of purpose and, (b) we understood that the chaps were doing their best in difficult circumstances. (b) still applies but (a) disappeared years ago when the namby pamby woolly lefto commie tree huggers of all persuasions got air time and the politically correct brigade got an audience.

DME MILOS
23rd May 2007, 23:29
Mmmm. just got back in country and watched the "f word" on gypsy TV+, Chorizo cod and rice for lunch.....whatever happened to a piss and a woodbine, or was that only a fighter pilot's breakfast? :)

ARINC
24th May 2007, 14:28
FLAK me old, your comment sounds suspiciously like a p***ing contest to me...Count me out.

brit bus driver
24th May 2007, 21:04
I think he was just trying to point out that the F3 force is possibly one of the least likely to be shot at in the current climate. Not a pi$$ing contest - more a statement of fact.

DKP1
25th May 2007, 07:56
No never done air combat but then EngO's rarely do..... Telic was nice Palliser was ok...... Not that blunt

Can we not have an opinion on here any more???

High_Expect
25th May 2007, 08:32
"Can we justify the force numbers and crews? "
As of next year the F3 Force will be down to two Frontline Squadrons (excluding the OCU) with 17ish crews a piece...... do you some how think this is oversized for the task?
Currently with three squadrons the guys/gals are averaging 3months away a year (admittedly not in op theatres but time away from loved ones is time away!) And I appreciate that this is less than a lot of other forces.
However, I suggest you spend some time on the Force before passing judgement on their op tempo and certainly before judging their professional ability and capability!! :ok:

Ps. If you are as old and bold as you like to make out you'll know that everything goes in cycles. They may not be deployed on ops right now, but as history has proved no-one knows what is just round the corner.

One Team One Fight! one day you be pleased they're there! :ok:

SAR Boy Anchor
25th May 2007, 08:32
Can anyone explain why we have to bother with publicity and being nice to the public at all, other than to maintain recruitment?

I mean we've had a PR department for years now and its not as though its stopped any of the cutbacks....

Dan Winterroll
25th May 2007, 09:25
Disband fleets! My arse
During Bosnia the F3s and Harriers were on ops, so should we have disbanded the GR4s?
Southern/Northern Watch involved GR4s + Jags + F3s so what would have happend today if we had disbanded the Harriers because they were not being used operationally?
My point is;
WE HAVE A BIGGER ENEMY: A GOVERNMENT AND A PUBLIC THAT DOES NOT SEE THE FORCES AS RELEVANT AND WORTHY OF ADEQUATE FUNDING.
We need an Army,Navy and Air Force that are capable of meeting all roles/tasks, For the youngsters among us the Falklands,Gulf War 1 etc blew up over a short time. All required a different mix of forces from the last war. If they hadn't existed we could not have generated them in time. That is the big point we don't know what the next fracas will require. We cut roles/capability at our peril!
STOP SNIPING AT OURSELVES AND GROW UP
End of rant

jollygreenfunmachine
25th May 2007, 10:05
ARINC
At the end of the day Gentlemen these are the Guys that might get shot at...A fact not lost on those of us who have many a time strapped rather pale looking Jockeys and Navs into Aircraft carrying things that go bang. Some of whom incidentally didn't come back.
Take a look at what the SH/AH boys are doing. They ARE getting shot at daily.
Whilst the fast jet boys train for their role, the SH boys are actually doing theirs every day.
As a rotary man with some fast jet friends, i think the F3 boys came across poorly to the general public. We all know the score but the general public don't need to be left with the impression that we burn holes in the skies and throw away tax payers money for a sport!
However, having seen how the press work on numerous ops, we all know that they use what they want from probably hours of footage. A lesson re-learnt i think on what to say when they are about.
Fair comment?

DKP1
25th May 2007, 11:45
jgfm....

thats what i've been trying to say......

SaddamsLoveChild
25th May 2007, 11:46
When I and many others are being shot at, mortared etc I want to know that there is enough money in the pot to protect my and my combatant colleagues pretty pink bodies. Not have it wasted puching holes in the sky for sporting practice. Mag to Grid the lot and fight the war we are in with the money we have now, AD Typhoon will be on line in the next month and Multi Role typhoon will be on line next year so why not reduce to the numbers we need for Q and push the money to aircraft DAS, armour etc. Maybe seen as short termism but I am in the Air Force for a very short time!!!

Lima Juliet
25th May 2007, 11:59
Saddams Love Child

As I recall from the CAOC in TELIC the USA wouldnt allow the F3 to play a major part because they didnt have the right fit/comms etc and were not able to fulfil a multi-role, they didnt really need dedicated fighters because there wasnt a threat and the airspace was at a premium.

It was more to do with the current top airship who thought that the ALARM firing F3 was too immature - so instead of sending something that could reactively target EW targets he used an aircraft that could only fire PET shots :ugh:

The comms fit was better than the GR4 by the way and they are Link 16 players!

The guys on the F3 OEU worked like demons to get ALARM and TIALD cleared for F3 only to have it all turned off by a mud-mover - Funny old thing, that..."Jobs for the boys" springs to mind. The F3 is a far better ALARM carrier than the present GR4 will ever be; unless they plan to fit TRD, a set of interferometers and some bigger donks...

Oh, and I will laugh my c@ck off when all you truckies and wokka-mates get monstered by a credible air threat in our next campaign - "we don't need fighters do we"!

Still my fighter days are over now that I'm a rubber-desk johnny...

LJ

TheWizard
25th May 2007, 12:22
Oh, and I will laugh my c@ck off when all you truckies and wokka-mates get monstered by a credible air threat in our next campaign

Pop down to Oxfordshire/Hampshire/Wiltshire and repeat that to peoples faces. We will see who is laughing then. Stupid, pathetic comment. Keep flying your nice safe desk.

monthstodo
25th May 2007, 13:52
Lovin some of the the good old RAF banter on here but not liking the warped, narrow-minded comment from mighty (g?)imp quite as much! The less offensive comments and observations of groundcrew always make me chuckle (as an ex-techie!), but when you see throw-away remarks like this, it's kind of scary to think we have morons like that in the team. Oh well, some mothers do 'ave em!

Anyway! I think the F-Word feature made for some good, punchy PR with great aerial shots, and it must have come across pretty well to the public. I think the toasties must have brought the glamorous image nicely down-to-earth for them! ;)

But come on guys, let's cut through the cr*p, who's more important or more deserving of medals. There were some great moments on the F-Word that only us servicemen would have appreciated. The gold awards for slickly stage-managed shots must go to:

a. Ramsay casually strolling onto camp, straight past the guardroom as if his celebrity status made him exempt from getting a pass, saying 'Morning!' to the guard (who must have wanted ground to swallow him up). I know, I know, 'artistic licence', and something only servicemen will appreciate, but kinda funny nevertheless!

b. While bbq-ing the fish and chorizo thingy, everyone pausing in unison to stare up at 2 jets roaring past, and one of the aircrew saying 'hopefully they'll come back X-Ray' :eek: (couldn't find a cringing smilie)

Some comedy moments for us, great PR for the public.

Keep up the banter,

mtd

Twopack
25th May 2007, 14:19
Leon Jabamouth

You're right - what we need is a proper fighter, not the global embarrassment that is the F3.

Still, enjoy your posh lunches boys and girls - I gather you've got plenty of spare time to eat them.

Wader2
25th May 2007, 14:23
SAR Boy Anchor.

Can anyone explain why we have to bother with publicity and being nice to the public at all, other than to maintain recruitment?

I mean we've had a PR department for years now and its not as though its stopped any of the cutbacks....

It is part of CAS's new Engagement Strategy. He is concerned that the public know why we need an Air Force, why the Air Force needs Typhoon, and why the Air Force must be capable of meeting future unknown threats 10-15 years down the line.

CAS is also engaging with the movers and shakers in the country, he is holding a ball in the Tower of London. He is trying to reach out to Joe Public, not the ones who go to air shows, they are the converted, but to those who cannot or do not want to get involved in air shows.

As mentioned the air show format is changing; some this year, more next year.

I saw the programme, no idea who the guy with the frying pan was but the mother-in-law certainly did.

snoopy1107
Gentleman,

Lets not be too hard on the 43 guys, at the end of the day their pilots and trained to said job not actors, evan if we have a PR bunch, who im pretty confident do a desent job (cant please everyone) they have limited budgets and resources as do every branch in the Force, if we're going to start pointing fingers its Mr Gordie Brown, who apaarently thinks the Airforce can run on pennies, mind you if the NHS can????

Snoopy

soddim
Perhaps, Two Pack, with your perceptive insight into fighter requirements, you could describe the attributes you look for in a front-line fighter capable of performing the role of air defence of the UK?

Twopack
25th May 2007, 15:40
Soddim, I was actually thinking about somewhere further afield than the UK.

Haven't seen any F3s east of Cyprus but you'll be pleased to know that the GR4 is doing an excellent job at CAS in a more operational theatre.

frodo_monkey
25th May 2007, 15:51
Twopack - I don't doubt for a second that the GR boys are doing a great job from 'The Deid' (though they are low-average ;), just kidding dudes).

But please explain to me exactly what air threat you would like the F3 Force to counter in either Iraq or Afghanistan? :hmm:

I seem to remember that before my time on the jet, back in the days when Iraq HAD an air force, that the F3, along with most other FJ players spent 10+ yrs doing N/S Watch, Resinate etc :confused:

PICKS135
25th May 2007, 17:19
Shouldnt it have been 2 navigators doing the cooking - a sort of resettlement course for when Typhoon takes over and they no longer have jobs;);););)

Fox_4
25th May 2007, 19:42
Twopack - It appears to me that you are the narrow minded kind of individual that reads the Sun for your air power knowledge and current affairs.

I dont doubt you have been further east than Cyprus but I am wondering where the Air to Air threat is over there? Bar Iran maybe?! The F3 packs more punch than you may ever know now that the radar upgrade/jtids/amraam and asraam are fully functional. We wouldnt have gone to Telic at all had we not been capable of functioning as well as, or better than the Yanks.

Did anyone know 9-11 was going to happen or was the mighty USA caught on the hop when they really needed QRA? I agree that QRA sits for 99.999% of the time in a chair praying that they dont actually have to go and "do the job" as that will make more headlines than anything going on in Iraq or the Stan.

My final rant about your CAS comment. Of course the F3 is not in Afghanistan doing CAS instead of the GR4!! They are a bomber, the F3 is designed for Air to Air (maybe the Beano didnt explain that!). Im sure some SF mate would not appreciate a theatre full of F3s on CAS instead of a dedicated bomber. The same reason the GR4 fleet dont share QRA duties in the UK/Falklands. Its a Tornado but different.

Im looking forward to my next bout of Air Combat and a posh champagne lunch! You clown!

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Lima Juliet
25th May 2007, 20:02
"We don't need fighters do we"!

We could argue that we don't need strat airlift like C-17 or Tommy Tristar - why not use DHL as they go to Stan?...and they eat less pies...and we don't have to pay their pension...and..and...and

http://209.155.42.159/dhl.jpg

Then we could answer "Why do we need Typhoon?"...because DHL can't offer them!

Come on Trukkies, Leons baited the hook with a high-fat Ginsters pastie (one of Gordon's favourites)...:E

PS For the low IQ brothers/sisters out there this might be banter ;)

Knight Paladin
25th May 2007, 20:16
I seem to remember from my history lessons that there was an almighty clamour in the 1920s and 30s to do away with Fighters. Luckily, thanks to the vision of some people in the right places, we were able to secure enough Spitfires and Hurricanes to stop the tyranny of fascism from completely taking over Europe, arguably ensuring its eventual defeat (any fish-heads who have major objections please retire to your cabins and spin dits about how it was you who really won the Battle of Britain, doesn't hold any water with me). I believe that that was one of our country's (and I'm not forgetting the contribution and sacrifice of the foreign crews) greatest contributions to humanity.

We must learn from the mistake our forefathers so nearly made back then, and retain a balance of forces. Who knows who we could be in conflict with next and forces we would require for such a thing? To argue that we will only go to war in a coalition is also folly - I'm sure many people thought the same thing in the early months of 1982.

grimfixer
25th May 2007, 20:36
3.....2........1......Back in the room.

Shall we get back to the F word before someone gets an eye scratched out!

Anyone substantiate Big Boy Ramsay hurling alas Jezza Clarkson post his flight?

Take That
25th May 2007, 20:51
Cheese Toastie Anyone?

DKP1
25th May 2007, 20:53
with a bit of chorizo?

Lima Juliet
25th May 2007, 21:11
Back in the days when I was coffee bar officer we could only get our rations from NAAFI (now Spar) - I can't see them selling Chorizo or sides of fish (was it Cod?).

So come on Gordo. What can you rustle up with Spar Cheese, Spar Brown Sauce and Spar Bread (white of course)? The entree is Champion crisps and all washed down with a delightful 2003 vintage Panda Pop (out of date).

Of course the SHEF (Health and Safety idiot not the cook) would have a fit about a propane burning cooker needed to cook Gordo's chosen menu.

Twopack
25th May 2007, 23:29
Fox 4 - Whoaaaa, take a chill pill - didn't know you boys were so precious!

Keep safe defending the UK from those horrible airliners and I look forward to seeing you all on Jamie's Dinners. ;)

h73kr
25th May 2007, 23:46
I'll be the first to admit I didn't actually see the 'offending' TV slot, but it sounds exactly the kind of trite self serving promotional crap that would have put me off wanting to join up! :oh:

iccarus
26th May 2007, 00:04
Well of course, the reason the F3 is stuck in the UK is because both it and its crews are crap!!:D
I mean
Its not like they are regularly able to hand, far superior platforms, their arses on a plate - as proven on just about every major exercise.:=
Its not they are capable of employing ALARM in a manner which is far superior to the way the GR will ever achieve.:=
Its not like they regularly train in Close Air Support and even if it is only 27mm HE, its not like they could take some of the strain of the overworked GR7/9.:=
Or maybe, is it because:-
The powers that be, politically, can't be seen to employ the F3 in a current op, irrespective of its pedigree or ability to ease the pressure on other assets. Because clearly, that would call into question why it is being replaced by the most expensive procurement programme in history.(Which incidentally, i firmly believe we need.)
And what really makes me laugh, is that most GR mates will continue to bleet about how overworked they are, and how much time they are spending away from home, rather than just admit that the F3 could be the asset which means they spend a month or two extra back in blighty each year.:ugh:
It pains me to say it, but well done 43. You showed joe public the sort of cameraderie and fun that is part and parcel of life on a fighter sqn. Only the type of person, who would never fit into such an environment could have taken offense!

DKP1
26th May 2007, 07:39
"Only the type of person, who would never fit into such an environment could have taken offense"

Really???? You keep on thinking that, does that mean all FJ pilots are the same?? Not in my experience of 12 years first line.

mojocvh
26th May 2007, 07:55
...Well of course, the reason the F3 is stuck in the UK is because both it and its crews are crap!!:D
I mean
Its not like they are regularly able to hand, far superior platforms, their arses on a plate - as proven on just about every major exercise.:=
Its not they are capable of employing ALARM in a manner which is far superior to the way the GR will ever achieve.:=
Its not like they regularly train in Close Air Support and even if it is only 27mm HE, its not like they could take some of the strain of the overworked GR7/9.:=
Or maybe, is it because:-
The powers that be, politically, can't be seen to employ the F3 in a current op, irrespective of its pedigree or ability to ease the pressure on other assets. Because clearly, that would call into question why it is being replaced by the most expensive procurement programme in history.(Which incidentally, i firmly believe we need.)
And what really makes me laugh, is that most GR mates will continue to bleet about how overworked they are, and how much time they are spending away from home, rather than just admit that the F3 could be the asset which means they spend a month or two extra back in blighty each year.:ugh:
It pains me to say it, but well done 43. You showed joe public the sort of cameraderie and fun that is part and parcel of life on a fighter sqn. Only the type of person, who would never fit into such an environment could have taken offense!

Nice one iccarus! took the wind right out me sails that did.

MoJo
http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/forums/report.php?p=3311562)

soddim
26th May 2007, 16:52
Soddim, I was actually thinking about somewhere further afield than the UK.

Two Pack, you evaded the issue. We have not procured any weapons systems to operate further east than Cyprus for more than two decades. That anything we have has any capability outside that area is pure coincidence. However, I suspect you have very little knowledge of what a fighter is or what it should be.

If I am wrong, I apologise, but please tell me what the fighter you want to see in the front line should be able to do and what makes such a weapons system suitable for air defence of the UK - that is what the taxpayers are paying for, after all.

samuraimatt
26th May 2007, 17:02
Surely that is another subject for another thread, this is about the Fword.

soddim
26th May 2007, 18:27
Surely talking about how vital the F3 fleet is in defending poor old blighty would have been better??.....

Need I say more?

DKP1
26th May 2007, 18:38
didn't I say that??? :)

baffy boy
26th May 2007, 20:06
I missed the programme so I had a look at the F Word website to see if would be on again. Quite a few piccies of Gordon on the day being strapped into an F3 and what not but this is what the blurb said.

'Gordon takes fast food to a new level with the Royal Air Force. After a supersonic spin in a Harrier Jump Jet, he very kindly cooked the crew a tasty cod and chorizo dish.'

No wonder the Navs didn't get a look in!

the_flying_cop
29th May 2007, 21:12
are we sure it was a tonka he went for a spin in?

according to the fword website, you boys have a new machine that you haven't told us tax payers about.

see here.

www.channel4.com/fword

"Gordon takes fast food to a new level with the Royal Air Force. After a supersonic spin in a Harrier Jump Jet, he very kindly cooked the crew a tasty cod and chorizo dish."

Supersonic harriers???? when did they arrive. at least i am familiar with the type as they are lovingly decsribed as 'jump jets' (my pet hate)

apologies if this was posted earlier in the thread, must have missed it.

tfc

Never Alert
29th May 2007, 22:01
Check out the footage on Channel4.com. Go to 4onDemand & your in.

GasFitter
30th May 2007, 15:38
It makes a refreshing change to see a TV piece that a Sqn Commander hasn't hijacked for himself. So often the chance for genuinely good PR/recruiting is wasted because senior officers can't resist the temptation to get their own mug onto camera. Far better to show folks that the audience have a chance of identifying with - Good effort 43.
Good job the old Ginger QWI isn't still here then ... he would have volunteered us for the opening of a baked bean can if it had meant getting his fizzog on the telly and furthering his career ..... BTW .... where is he now ....... carrying some bigwigs bags? .... "How does my moustache look, Darling?" ... mmmmmmmm:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

GasFitter
30th May 2007, 15:40
see here.

www.channel4.com/fword

"Gordon takes fast food to a new level with the Royal Air Force. After a supersonic spin in a Harrier Jump Jet, he very kindly cooked the crew a tasty cod and chorizo dish."

Nice picture of a 'Shifty-Fix' jet!

mojocvh
30th May 2007, 16:16
Hmm so the subliminal message didn't register then Mr Corgi?

GasFitter
30th May 2007, 19:40
Hmm so the subliminal message didn't register then Mr Corgi?
Too subtle for me, I'm afraid! Get it out in the open, that's what I say!