PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter flying

Pablo941
22nd May 2007, 18:57
I'm soon to become an Army air corps helicopter pilot (fingures crossed)

But basically i know very little in the principles of a helicopter
Also wouldnt go a miss to tell me a little about the AAC if you could be so kind! :)

...besides dont drink and what a swash plat is, i know enough to crash in style! :P

Was wondering if any of you fine people could help me out here?

for starters,

SASless
22nd May 2007, 19:58
Not drink?:rolleyes:

I thought that was the very first requirement and the primary core value for helicopter pilots. ;)

Where did I go wrong?:oh:

bladepitch
22nd May 2007, 23:07
quote flungdung

You have plenty of time to start drinking and worrying about swas plats and crashing helikupters. Just finish school first and then visit the Army recruiting office - they will tell you all you need to know.

flundung. thats priceless!!:D:D:D lol lol

Pablo941
23rd May 2007, 11:31
Oh, iv bin through that stuff but it seems to be more based on whether i'd make a good officer and my previous history basis that's bin sufficient.

I basically want to know anything i can get from anyone about either the AAC or Helicopters?

If any one has had any experience or knowledge on this subj, twood be great.

And yh...i will be drinking lots...its like a quid a pint in military bars! :P

FayeDeck
23rd May 2007, 13:01
Pablo,

Follow these instructions whilst at your infants school and throughout your education;

Keep studdying

Start Drinkikng

Get a fitt girlfriend

Get a motarbike

Pass Course....fingures crosssed

JimL
23rd May 2007, 13:14
Now we have two children involved - can't we put a child lock on PPRune.

Jim

Rotating Star
24th May 2007, 00:22
Is not it goood to no that the fuchure defense of hour kuntry is in sutch capabable hands!!

SirVivr
24th May 2007, 01:28
Pablo:

I was in a simular situation some years ago.

My first question to a returned pilot was: " Don't you need some math?"

Answer: "Can you add"?

Next question was: " Don't you need to know about meterology?'.

Anewer: "There is a big black cloud. Don't fly into it."

He did say that is a little more complicated.

Result:

I am still flying at 18,000 + hours.

Pablo:

Go for it.

I will send a PMS to SASless about the need for pilots here.

[email protected]

Flying Lawyer
24th May 2007, 06:55
Pablo

For principles of a helicopter, see How a helicopter works (http://www.sikorsky.com/details/0,9602,CLI1_DIV69_ETI700,00.html)

I can't help about the AAC, but I can recommend Learning to Fly Helicopters by Randall Padfield as one of the best 'ordinary language' books I've read about professional helicopter flying in general.

It's not a training manual, but a superb introduction and very readable. (There are new and used copies for sale on Amazon.)

FL

Pablo941
24th May 2007, 11:32
I'll have a look at this stuff...cheers for those who could offer more than dissing my english spelling ability on an informal text based network:PThe websites are really useful & YH thats pretty much the math of it.Basically i want to read up on anything heli-aviational!But surely there must be someone out there who's had the experience and would be so kind as to tell me a little bit more about the AAC, the Army or officers???...Like: how many hours do you get?Where are you likely to be sent?Whats the training like?........................ny one

airborne_artist
24th May 2007, 12:24
Pablo - the only direct entry to AAC aircrew is via Sandhurst. First you need to pass RCB, and then you need to be in the top 10% at RMAS to get a realistic chance of getting to the AAC.

teeteringhead
24th May 2007, 12:25
Might one suggest the military forum??:)

Or arrse, as I believe the Army pprune is called :E

airborne_artist
24th May 2007, 12:33
Teeters

He's already gracing Mil forum with his presence:

M8...i looked at all the services and thoughts that any sevice is great for helicopters...though if you want the adrenaline at home only id go for the RAF...but if you want to make a difference on land then its the army and in the fleet air arm youd chase pirates and the like...but Navy have best training and most operative...though what ever service you go into your best just buying your own and trying to loan your skills to MAF when ur not busy if possible (though havent looked into this) - the military only give you enough hours to keep you up unfortunately - things cost!

As you can see, he's an asset we didn't know we'd missed :E

Heliport
24th May 2007, 12:50
Pablo

"Informal text based network" or not, there is no excuse for using (for example) i instead of I, nor for beginning sentences with a lower case letter. Nor (for example) for: Oh, iv bin through that stuff .......... whether i'd make a good officer .......... previous history basis that's bin sufficient.
Most of us make spelling and grammatical mistakes from time to time, but there's a difference between mistakes/mistypes and plain laziness.
Despite the adverse comments from regular contributors to this forum, you've made no effort to improve your posts and have responded rather arrogantly to the criticism. That's a curious attitude from someone who hopes to become a member of an organisation in which an ability to get on with others is a highly desirable, probably essential, characteristic.
You may want to ask yourself why others should take the time and trouble to help you when you can't be bothered to put any effort into asking for help in an acceptable way.

Heliport

ShyTorque
24th May 2007, 14:44
I think you're being a bit harsh, Heliport; this chap sounds ideal for the AAC.

Not sure what as, though... skidded aircraft don't need a chock...

diginagain
24th May 2007, 15:07
Or arrse, as I believe the Army pprune is called

Yeah, great idea. Unbelievable amount of really useful advice. Might log on myself and see what I can do to assist your passage. You may need to bone-up on your cynic-spotting skills before you go, though.

Impress to inflate
25th May 2007, 15:59
I learned to fly by reading Chicken Hawk, worked for me ! :=:D

Pablo941
26th May 2007, 20:17
Thank you very much for responding.

My apologies if i appeared slightly arrogant. My intentions were to appear fairly emotionless as to avoid a subject of my integratory. (clearly i failed) plus... un/fortunately i live in a dialectual area. Standard English is something of which doesnt seem to develop in at least my type.

I've had a good look on AAC web sites and i feel im reaping all the knowledge possible.

Would it be possible for you to tell me you experiences in the AAC. For example, are there many difficulties you have faced in your previous position?

And yes. I enjoy being an officer and being a part of the team. I feel the AAC would suit me well. Though im sure flying will entertain me all the same!

Garfs
26th May 2007, 20:56
Pablo - the only direct entry to AAC aircrew is via Sandhurst. First you need to pass RCB, and then you need to be in the top 10% at RMAS to get a realistic chance of getting to the AAC.

Top 10% ?!?

I've some pepole nearer the bottom 10% get into the AAC when I was at Sandhurst

Indfly
27th May 2007, 06:47
Pablo

Though I am not from the AAC,all I can say is that Flying all over has one common rule-Knowledge is Confidence.Currently,you dont have the knowledge in the Whirly bird field.So learn to be humble,glean the good things(even though some might sound sarcastic) from all the posts.Cos there is lot of Experience talking on this site.

The fact that inspite of you making us believe that you are almost about to join AAC,people are giving you advice is cos We care...(now Caring about you,the fraternity or the system is another story altogether)

psyan
27th May 2007, 10:40
After many many years of helicopter flight in the military and having read this thread patiently, I have come to the conclusion that at present, you do not appear to have some of the basic abilities that are required.

"Standard English is something of which doesnt seem to develop in at least my type."

I think that just about sums it up. Unless you improve dramatically then I fear you have absolutely no chance whatsoever. Should you fail to comprehend why I say so then that in itself is a verification of the circumstances. Good luck.

Best Wishes

Whirlygig
27th May 2007, 10:53
The use of good English, whilst being something that requires a bit of effort, is also something to which one needs to be exposed. If Pablo's background is such that this hasn't happened, it is not entirely his fault and he has, at least, had the magnanimity to concede this and apologise.

Pablo, a number of people have suggested an area in your education which needs addressing. This will best be achieved by extensive reading which you will obviously have to do anyway for background information and studying. Please try to take on board the way the language has been structured and soon, with a bit of effort, you too can be become as anally-retentive as some of the pedants on here!

Cheers

Whirls

Whirlygig
27th May 2007, 12:10
I certainly do when someone doesn't appreciate that an exclamation mark generally means a joke! I also include myself in that number of anally-retentive pe(n)dants!

Cheers

Whirls

jammydonut
27th May 2007, 12:29
Fergies book "Budgie" is essential reading:ugh:

Pablo941
27th May 2007, 21:39
Mmm...strange u would say this.

I figured that Standard English was something the military no longer fraternized on, accepting the fact that the british isles is a very large historical mix.

Plus, i meant that computer typing was where it could not be shown, not my type (as in personal class)

further more...I'm here to get the extra knowledge and help i need to get to the start of my dream. Do we really feel the best advice for me is to improve my standard of english above all else?

Pablo941
27th May 2007, 21:48
Please may i redirect people to my aid of knowledge about what i am to commence. If you can offer any help towards the actual AAC side of the conversation please offer me your support.

(was that sentance to your liking english fans - personally im slightly offended that you would view the impression you got from my direct speach on the rest of my career...can we not leave that to the proffesionals - i know for fact that not all of the final 10% come from london language central)

topic at hand...to applaud the proffesionals, not baffle them with linguist skills (im sure thats a seperate job)

Heliport
27th May 2007, 21:52
Moved from Rotorheads.

scottyhs
27th May 2007, 21:57
Pablo, Dont pour fuel onto an already burning fire my friend.

Have you visted an Armed Forces Careers Office yet, They maybe able to give you a little more information and make it more personal rather then such a generic website. All the best mate

the_flying_cop
28th May 2007, 00:48
ahem.... its spelt 'professionals'.

see, thats my guide to advancing this boy.

see also - the dictionary.com

pro·fes·sion·al (prə-fěsh'ə-nəl) Pronunciation Key
adj.
Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.
Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.
Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.
Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football.
Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.
n.
A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house.
A skilled practitioner; an expert.

honestly, the yoof of 2day.

TFC

RobinXe
28th May 2007, 01:00
Some basic PoF here Pablo:

http://www.cybercom.net/~copters/helicopter.html

Horror box
28th May 2007, 09:59
Pablo,

as a former AAC pilot, I can offer you plenty of relevant advice. You must be prepared to spend large periods away from home, in sometimes unpleasant, sometimes very scary situations with groups of other people equally uncomfortable and scared. There are also fantastic times and places to visit, and it is all very rewarding, but what underpins everything is the ability to adapt to your surrounding environment and community and get on and make the most of it. There is no manual for this, it is a personality and a natural thing. You must be able to get on with others almost above all else. In many ways flying is secondary to this, as you will always be working in a team or a multi crew environment in difficult and stessfull situations. If you can do this, everything else will follow and you will be receptive to instruction on your pilots course. If you are able to get on with others, take advice and criticism well and as intended, you will learn and progress, if not you will ultimately fail. There is no endstate in this game, it does not finish at the end of your pilots course, all would agree, that the real learning begins after you finish the pilots course and continues for the rest of your life. You never escape 6 monthly checks, QHI checks, constant assessment and re-assessment, and this is a good thing.
Finally do not take anything for granted. RMAS is certainly not a given, and you must excell at leadership in an infantry based environment first for a year before you even get a shot at the AAC. If you haven't already been through RMAS, forget about the Corps for a while and focus on getting through RMAS. Get as fit as you can, as it is very physically demanding for all, and standby to be treated like a 5 year old for a while. You must be well prepared before Sandhurst, or else, as with many others, you will not make it.
Unfortunately from your posts so far, you seem to be lacking in a couple of the above mentioned areas. I am not one for jumping to conclusions, and would not presume to know you, but first impressions are not good. Prove me wrong.

HB

Junglynx
28th May 2007, 16:39
Pablo,

See http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=62074.html if you want an answer to the question, though the cyniscm may suprise you.