PDA

View Full Version : Collapsed Lung

Gregus
22nd May 2007, 12:36
Hi, I was wondering if anybody could advise whether the collapsed lung I suffered two years ago would interfere with passing the initial Class 1 Medical. I have had no problems since it happened and it has fully healed, but I'm not sure if it would throw up a red flag or mean automatic disqualification?

I assume if it didn't, the next step would be to pass the "lung capacity" part of the medical, so hopefully that wouldn't cause any problems.

Can anyone advise if they know of any problems relating to this that people have had in the past? Obviously I'm keen to find out any bad news before spending over £500 and then finding out!

Thanks,

Greg

gingernut
22nd May 2007, 14:24
Greg, try a search under pneumothorax, pretty sure this was covered recently.

Gregus
22nd May 2007, 16:08
Thanks Ginger, it didn't occur to me to search using the medical term. :)

Tight Slot
24th May 2007, 00:06
I had one in '93. No worries on a class one. been holding a class one since '98. Hope this helps. All the best..

Bloody hurt dont they!!

Gregus
24th May 2007, 19:00
Thanks Tight Slot, that gives me the kind of reassurance I've been looking for. Now to press ahead. :)

And yes, they are bloody painful. I lay in bed suffering from it all night, obviously not realising what it actually was. Desperately hope never to be subjected to that kind of pain again!!

27mm
29th May 2007, 10:49
This reminds me of a condition known as "Hunter's Lung", which I believe was a partial collapse of the lung due to breathing 100% oxygen while pulling high G. Apparently the remedy, on recovering to 1G, was to cough hard to re-inflate it......