View Full Version : Air West Coast...?

Capnmakka
22nd May 2007, 09:25
Does anyone know anything about Air West Coast? What are they like to fly for etc...?

Sqwark2000
22nd May 2007, 10:24
A company owned by or at least with very strong ties to a religious community (not sure but similar to if not actually bretheren) based in the hills of the West Coast around Greymouth.

Wrote off a chieftain with a non-fatal CFIT during a bad weather turn back.
New Dornier apparantly had a crew incapacitation incident recently on way to maintenance in CHCH, where it may still be today???

Runs a 5 day 1 return per day service between the Coast and Wellington, using Cheiftain and when available... a Dornier.

empacher48
22nd May 2007, 22:08
Were also looking for an Operations Manager and Cheif Pilot, which meet the requirements to operate a Part 125 operation. But not too sure if those positions have been filled yet.

To be ops manager I think you need an ATPL with at least 3 years pilot in command in Part 121, 125 or 135 operations and 3 years experience in a operational management position.

To be cheif pilot I think you need an ATPL, have a type rating in a company aircraft, 3 years PIC in Part 121, 125 & 135, and 2 years experience in Check and Training.

Those requirements are straight from Part 119, but I think the job advertisement on Trademe did have slightly higher requirements!

How many are keen to put their hands up for those jobs???

Don Mask
23rd May 2007, 08:42
Air West Coast made the newspapers a few weeks ago shortly after the fumes in the cockpit episode. CAA were on their case because they suspected the aircraft was being operated outside the operators certificate - in that the airline and/or the pilots weren't licenced to operate a 19 seater.
In other words, the need for those at the coal face to hold an ATPL.
AWC came back to say that all flights performed in the Dornier were done on a 'promotional basis'.
CAA were keen to find out how much the passengers had paid the airline to be part of the 'promotion'.

As a result, we haven't seen the Dornier since. She'll be a useful addition to the fleet when everything is up and running.