PDA

View Full Version : Global Express

west030
3rd Jan 2001, 20:46
Hi guys, are there any Global pilots out there? What do you think about the airplane? How was the training?
Thanks

Latte tester
4th Jan 2001, 01:30
Yes there are, excellent and excellent!
If you are scheduled to train on this magnificent craft,then you should start by getting your 'behind' ready for those very long legs. Bye bye NATS hello FL430 (and higher!) :) :)

Former_SLUF_Driver
4th Jan 2001, 11:11
So what's the longest leg you've crewed? I know she's gotta reach of 6,500+NM, but do you really stretch it that far?

SLUF

west030
4th Jan 2001, 22:52
Yes, I do have the opportunity to get to fly the Global. Looking forward to it. What else is there to fly after this one? Mine thought!

Juliet November
5th Jan 2001, 10:33
Ahh, the Global ....

Friend of mine works for Flexjet Europe, and allthough they are not (yet) operating the beauty, he let me in on some of the performance data.

How about this one: T/O from LAX bound for NYC with 4 pax and cruzing at m 0.88. Load another 4 pax in NYC and continue without fueling non-stop to Milan, at m 0.84.

Anyone with experience on the G-V who can offer some comparative information ?

BTW, anyone willing to borrow me a few dollars ? Say roughly 42 million ....

fokkerjet
6th Jan 2001, 06:15
JN.

Not with our airplane, we are a little to heavy in the BOW department to go with full fuel out of KLAX.

The numbers I ran were as follows:

KLAX to KLGA, 4 paxs @ m.87 = 4+09 and 19,019lbs of fuel burn.

KLGA to LIML, 8 paxs @ m.84 = 6+54 and 19,944lbs of fuel burn.

That leaves us with about 1,557lbs of reserve without an alternate, a little less then what I would feel confortable with.

I've only been in the GV for a month, but I have had several "long" trips in it. The airplane is comfortable, but in my opinion, it's not all that it's cracked up to be!

[This message has been edited by fokkerjet (edited 06 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by fokkerjet (edited 06 January 2001).]

Juliet November
7th Jan 2001, 21:01
fokkerjet,

Thanks very much for the correction. Bearing in mind that Flexjet is a Bombardier subsidiary, my friend probably took the information right out of the glossy advertisement.

Still, an impressive machine. How many of them out there ? Is the G-V still the best seller, and what about the competition from the BBJ / ACJ ?

fokkerjet
8th Jan 2001, 01:45
Juliet November.

I'm not sure how many Globals have made it to the airways, but Gulfstream has at least 100 out there and maybe 20 in the shop getting outfitted. Most people who buy/fly Gulfstreams do so just because it's a Gulfstream. That, and the fact that Bombardier started with a clean sheet of paper which put them to market a few years behind, helped with the lead that Gulfstream holds.

As for performance, I bet the Global out performs the GV just because it is a fresh design, and the fact that Gulfstream came out with the GVsp proves that :rolleyes:
I am curious about the engines on the Global and if they are having the same crazy inspections and procedures as we have with the GV? Flexjet (and Executive Jet) may have problems keeping these guys flying when they have to inspect and x-ray these engines every couple hundred hours http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

As far as the ACJ goes, a friend of mine flies one. If I remember correctly, they have 44 seats, and with the extra fuel tanks, they have to put the luggage in bins in the cabin. I also think they fly it at M.79/.80, so it's not the fastest bizjet, but look at all that room http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif I don't know much about the BBJ, but it should be pretty close to the ACJ in performance. If I'm going on a super long trip, I'd rather be flying an airplane the size of my house around, verses an airplane the size of my sewer pipe http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by fokkerjet (edited 07 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by fokkerjet (edited 07 January 2001).]

Juliet November
8th Jan 2001, 03:00
fokkerjet,

With you on that one, unless speed or short field performance is very very very important. If I should ever, unlikely as it seems, discover that I'm related to Bill Gates :) I'd look at cabin space more than anything, especially given that the aircraft are roughly in the same price bracket (give or take a mill. but who cares when you're spending that much).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both the G-V, Global and some Embraer jets are flying the BR700 series engine ? Are all these airframe / engine combinations subject to the inspections you describe ? Must be a nightmare to operate if they warrant inspections that often. How can an airline, or private operator for that matter, keep an operation going under those c'rcumstances ?

But I'll probably never come even remotely close to flying, and much less owning one of these machines. Don't suppose anybody offers interline tickets on their private jets. But dreams are, for the moment, not taxed .....

fokkerjet
8th Jan 2001, 05:04
Juliet November,

The ERJ is equipped with the AE3007. It's the old Allison engine before Rolls Royce bought Allison several years ago. The airplane I think you are thinking of is the B717-200. It's equipped with the BR715, a slightly larger version of the BR710 that both the GV and Global have. If any B717 drivers visit, I would like to here what operational procedures they have to deal with on that version of engine. :rolleyes:

bearcat88
8th Jan 2001, 19:06
FYI folks,
I can't speak about the GV but the GX is a dream to fly in all environments. Great high altitude handling, low approach speeds, a high degree of uncomplicated automation and a wide, comfortable cockpit and cabin. My experience is limited to the early stages of the program but it was a treat to say the least. My only complaint if I was to fly it for an owner would be the long legs and crew rest if not managed correctly. I suppose the same could be said for any corporate jet though.

26point2
9th Jan 2001, 00:37
So how does the GV compare to the GIV. Has anyone flown both? I have been flying a GIV and loved it..It may be sold soon. Wer'e all a little heartbroken..

:)

------------------
Keep on running.

fokkerjet
9th Jan 2001, 05:58
26point2,

I flew the GIVsp for two years, but have been out of it for two years when we switched to the Falcon 900EX. I'm not a big Gulfstream fan http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif but compared to the GV, the IV is a more reliable machine. Even those people who love Gulfstream's within our department, are disappointed with it. But, you gotta love all that power :)

StressFree
9th Jan 2001, 19:07
Fokkerjet,
Hi there, Houston is boring, would much rather be in SAV doing a G IV recurrent!!!
You dont know how lucky you are to be on the 5 instead of a 125!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
'Keep the stress down'

alibaba
10th Jan 2001, 01:23
My Freind is flying a GIV. He said it isn't close to the Global. His company has just ordered GVsp. They tried out a BBJ, ACJ and a Global. In the end it was between the GVsp and the BBJ but the GVsp come up top trumps. The Global is nice, but it still is second to the others.

LAVDUMPER
10th Jan 2001, 07:23
Personally, if I were in the sharp-end of a long-range corporate aircraft flying 8-10 hour sorties, I would be more interested in the comfort factor up front. From that standpoint alone (I know the BBJ and ACJ cabins are probably the most comfortable on long flights) which aircraft from the aforementioned list is the preferred - from a pilot-comfort standpoint?

On your next London - Hong Kong sortie, which aircraft would you like to fly (GIVSP,GV, Global, BBJ, ACJ) from the front (assuming all rest-areas/bunks are similar)?

Fokkerjet, Stressfree, Cobra, et. all - please comment from experience...

Cheers

StressFree
10th Jan 2001, 18:08
Lavdumper,
I loved flying the G IV but it really dosnt come close to the BBJ for flight-deck comfort. I never could fully stretch out in the G IV but the Boeing has loads of room to move as well as space for your bags, somewhere to hang up your jacket etc.
So from a pilots point of view the BBJ beats all.

------------------
'Keep the stress down'

fokkerjet
10th Jan 2001, 21:17
StressFree,

Just sat in your BBJ last night. It's gonna be a nice ride, for sure :) It's leaving tonight for Stansted and should be on your ramp by 0700 tomorrow ;)

StressFree
10th Jan 2001, 21:55
Fokkerjet,
Sounds good, its a shame I'm stuck in Houston and wont see it arrive!! Only 1 more day to go then we're out of here. All the best.

------------------
'Keep the stress down'

Mad-Dog11
27th Jan 2001, 06:13
Hello everyone. I dont actually fly the things but i thought i would comment. I'm working as a flight dispatcher at the moment and operate 2 Global's. The latest one was delivered 3 weeks ago and has gone tech 3 times! Not exactly a good start!