PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air aircraft re-registration

Panama Jack
21st May 2007, 14:01
With Bahrain becoming the 100% owner of Gulf Air, I am wondering what the time line will be of re-registering the fleet on the A9C register from the Omani A40 register (I assume this will happen)?

SandpitFlyer
21st May 2007, 16:04
I presume they'll re-register the aircraft when they're sitting on the ramp in BAH gathering dust for the lack of pilots.

Think of it this way, at least the paint of the new A9C reg will dry nicely in the warm summer sunshine.;)

Desert_Storm
21st May 2007, 16:36
holding Omani licenses there is no need to change the registration of the airplanes; Many south american airlines fly with american registered airplanes (N in the tail) but pilots must hold an american ATPL or a special purpose pilo certification from the FAA (in case they don't have the FAA license).
Sandpitflyer, don't be so pesimistic about how many airplanes GF will have after the summer; heard they are in talks with Cessna and Piper companies in order to bring brand new Cherokees and 172's. Think they'll be the best Flying Academy in the Middle East: They'll train the pilots, and when they are ready, they (we) all go for EY;EK;QR and even Europe. At least, GF is doing something good. Cheers:E

Icarus
21st May 2007, 17:16
I'm proposing that they invest in 'drones' - they they don't need any of you whingers!

Joking aside - I believe it probably would be far better in the long run; after all DGCAM and GF have not been the 'best of friends' over the last few years. What is good for the Goose (GF) is apparently not not being fed to the Gander (WY) much to GF's occassional hardship.

Panama Jack
21st May 2007, 18:10
Sure, Desert-Storm, I understand that there are numerous aircraft plying the airways with registrations that are not of the same country of the operator, however, this is pretty much without exception done for a very good reason such as:

1) Leased aircraft registered in the lessor's country.
2) Taxation benefits (hence registration in places such as Bermuda, Cayman Islands, and the newest up & coming-- the Isle of Man).
3) Categorization issues-- in Latin American countries whose national authorities do not meet FAA Category 1, or the regulatory history has been iffy, going with "N-registered aircraft" and operating under US FAR's and oversight is a guarantee to stability.

It seems to me that A40 registration was part of the old legacy of GF spread across the owner States-- Headquarters in Bahrain, Simulator facilities in Doha, Maintenance in Abu Dhabi, Aircraft Registration and regulatory authorities in Muscat.

However, what benefit remains out of keeping Omani registration (if anything, it seems that it would be a liability) if Bahrain CAA meets ICAO standards and Bahraini registered aircraft would not meet any operational restrictions?

ironbutt57
21st May 2007, 22:24
Bahrain meets the standard and no restrictions would be forthcoming....I suspect we will all have Bah licences (again for a couple of us)