View Full Version : BD5 Jet Crash

VH-XXX
21st May 2007, 12:59
Impressive photos, not so impressive damage to the aircraft. A real shame as there aren't many of these about.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=29246

Lucky it didn't blow up. A couple of rescuers suffered some burns. I applaud the quick thinking of the rescuers and on this occasion a good result.

Jungmeister
21st May 2007, 13:24
Mr XXX,
I think you will find that it is not a jet (BD5J), but a pusher prop driven BD5. Lucky escape though.
I was fortunate enough to see three BD5J's flying in formation at Oshkosh way back in 1975. Very nice but a bit underpowered I think.
Jungmeister

gaunty
21st May 2007, 13:31
The BD5 is in an experimental aircraft but Mr Rees said it was no more or less safe than other planes yeah right.:{

Dont know what the wing and power loading actually are, but the former would have been right up there with high performance aircraft and the latter right down there with remote controlled house bricks.:( Cool combination NOT.

Runaway Gun
21st May 2007, 13:47
I'm sure that the pilot owes those men his life - or at least the avoidance of bad burns. Well done.

Guess this might inspire a few performers to buy helmets and nomex gear?

VH-XXX
21st May 2007, 14:04
The register lists it as a Honda engine with a metallic fixed pitch prop of a type that is not specified... turbine maybe? Nah, it's timber as per the pics.

Make sure if you're reading the article that you click on the picture gallery.

An exceptional job all round.

Excellent camera work and a great rescue.

The pilot looks to be on fire in the first fourth pic, poor bugger.

You would NOT want to be anywhere near burning avgas at the best of times, letalone in the middle of it.

Three cheers for all involved and great foresight to have extinguishers and emergency services on-site.

VH NZG
Power Driven Aeroplane with tricycle-retractable landing gear
Single Piston engine
Manufacturer: AMATEUR BUILT AIRCRAFT
Model: BD-5B
Serial number: BD-5963
Aircraft first registered in Australia: 11 November 2004
Full Registration

Kaptain Kremen
21st May 2007, 18:46
picture of the rescuers at work says it all.....well done guys! respect due.
KK

PPRuNe Radar
21st May 2007, 20:14
Well done to the rescuers :ok:

One of it's sister aircraft in Oz just featured in a popular UK magazine this month as well :(

The crash aircraft also appeared in a few formation pics in the article as well

http://www.pilotweb.aero/assets/content/images/issues/709_Cover.jpg

Zhaadum
22nd May 2007, 00:07
I saw these two aircraft fly into and out of Jandakot not more than a week ago. They looked both tiny and very cool at the same time compared to the hulking fanta cans of GA. On take off and departure they used about a half of runway 24 to get airborne, but then boogied away at a nice pace, overtaking the local aero clubs Tiger Moth while in a loose formation, not a hard feat but it looked cool!

Hope the pilot is ok and can get his steed back in the air soon.

Z:ok:

mattyj
22nd May 2007, 00:56
I sold a couple of these a few years ago for a mate and did a little reading on them..they are pretty notorious..the original engine was a hand grenade..if you have an engine failure at any time..push forward quickly..and if you are in the circuit..never be tempted to pull the turn a little tighter at low power settings..wing like a fast jet and fly circuits with one eye permanently on the Airspeed indicator:uhoh:

Charlie Foxtrot India
22nd May 2007, 04:17
I understand from the "Pilot" article these aircraft are banned in the UK...:uhoh:

Glad the pilot got out, hope he is OK

Howard Hughes
22nd May 2007, 05:07
I understand from the "Pilot" article these aircraft are banned in the UK...
I undertsand they always have been, ironic given that 007 made them famous!;)

VH-XXX
22nd May 2007, 07:46
Surely not "banned" as such, but rather its' performance specifications don't meet with the UK aircraft categories?

They are pretty strict over there.

Charlie Foxtrot India
22nd May 2007, 10:19
Banned was the word used on the front page of the magazine. "200kt mighty midget Britain banned"

Inside in the Bob Grimstead article he writes that "the CAA took the radical step of refusing Permits to Fly for all BD-5s"

Bob's articles are in my experience accurate, I doubt he would have made this up...

ForkTailedDrKiller
22nd May 2007, 12:20
Footage of the blowpipe BD5 at Oshkosh in 1999.

http://www.fototime.com/B5076FD760AA998/conv.wmv

Dr:cool:

6080ft
25th May 2007, 02:06
I saw a prop driven BD5 crash at ardmore a couploe of years ago. It had been in this guys hangar for a few years getting rebulit after a crash at TG. He did a few aborted takeoff runs, and then finally bounced into the air. Many comments were passed as he dissappeared off into the circuit - 'he's gonna crash it', sure enough, short final for 03 on that circuit - crashed it just short of the field.

Looks like a death trap to me!