PDA

View Full Version : (Nothing About) Payrise and utilities at EK (All about upgrades) (And Pam Anderson)

birdieonfirst
21st May 2007, 12:45
Guys!

Isn't it the last week in May when the payrise, utilities allowance is announced? I realize that we for some dumb reason had that announcement about payrise several months ago, but still it's now at the end of May that it comes time to get a "golden letter" in the mailbox yeah?

After the major payrise in QR and roumored increase in EY as well, I would be very surprised if they don't give us more than what was announced back in January. An increase in flt pay would be a cheap (excluded from profitshare and provident fund) way of putting some extra icing on the cake. In my opinion the whole idea of flt pay is the ease with which it can be altered if needed to stem the outflow of pilots: "Let's give them another 5 dms and see what happens!"

What do the rest of you think?

By the way, got the letter about proposed upgrade course the other day. Sim start (A330) 4 years and 2 months after joining. Great eh?

:suspect:BOF

145qrh
21st May 2007, 14:12
Hey man, that has to be the funniest post I have seen in a while.....:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Not the upgrade tho' , that is pants.

Mack Tuck
21st May 2007, 14:29
For anyone here less than 6 years the rules havent changed. It was at that time, shortly after the Gulf Air accident that the 'new' policy of a MINIMUM of 3 years to command was introduced (for those not meeting accelerated or DE criteria). No one after that time (and certainly the FOs due for upgrade now) were ever promised an upgrade at the 3 year mark by anyone in recruiting. At present, Boeing guys are being upgraded quicker than Airbus guys; when I joined it was the other way around. It is the way the cookie crumbles; get over the '3 year thing'; it is a minimum not a promise. 4 years is still pretty quick to command.

southflyer
21st May 2007, 14:37
Well Mr. Tuck...

I will disagree with you on the 3 year promise....

When I was interviewed about 4 years ago, all in my interview group were promised an upgrade by the end of the 3 years... the few of us that showed up for initial groundschool were even told that EK would not even consider hiring DECs.....

Hmmmmm, right!!!

sidestick driver
21st May 2007, 14:39
Under two years, although only just, to upgrade at EY at the moment on Airbus 330.

Mack Tuck
21st May 2007, 15:15
SF,
Can't say what you were actually promised at interview however if it was 3 years whoever it was was acting on his own volition and I suggest you take it up with him. It will do no good in the end but you could at least have the satisfaction of calling him an arsehole. Still; 4 years not good enough for you?

145qrh
21st May 2007, 15:18
Back in your box Mr Tuck.

We were promised,and by we I mean a class of 8 fresh faced and eager newbies that althought the rules for accelerated command had changed and disadvantaged everyone in the room, not to worry as at exactly 3 years from that date "he" could promise that we would be doing our Final Line Checks in the LHS.

The He in question was TCK ( head of Flight ops), LL( Fleet manager) and then head of training JD.

Ps ..no-one is complaing about 4 years to command, the bit we dont like is being lied to and not given the facts so that one could have made up their own mind as to stay or go.

Mack Tuck
21st May 2007, 15:34
QRH,
You would not have joined if they said 4 years?

145qrh
21st May 2007, 15:50
Question is not whether I would have joined or not, but at interview I/We were told that there would be no DEC's , also that people had gone from Bus to Boeing for UG, and also what the rules for accel were.
I suppose one of the main reasons for joining was quick upgrade, probably not the "cosmopolitan" way of life etc etc,
Week I joined was an advert in Flight, and change to FOM for accel criteria, so it's not so much a question of waiting 4 years plus, but the fact it went from a possible 18 mths to a "guaranteed" 3 years to 4+...and by that time I was already here......big,big question is why am I still here. :ugh:
The answer is inertia, comfort zone, laziness and believing the lieing barstewwards...but hey it's their train set and it happened to others before so that makes it OK..:)

birdieonfirst
21st May 2007, 15:54
Guys!

The object of the post was not any slander to EK for their (lack of) upgrade policy. It was just a question about the announcement of our yearly payreview

The info on the upgrade was for my fellow FO's on the Airbus that are long overdue for command. thought it might be nice to follow up on the progress of time for command. Sorry if got you guys all worked up again. Doesn't seem to take much to get you going these days...

:{BOF

Saltaire
21st May 2007, 17:27
For the Boeing F/O's life is good and 3 years or less to command is right on track. Due to the complete lack of seniority and reasonable fairness to transfer fleets the AB normal upgrades are lagging like never before and running over a year behind same date of hire collegues. It's like two separate companies killing morale and good will for the current AB FO's. Never seen or heard anything like it anywhere...MT, your class mate neighbor with four bars ( nothing against him ) just upgraded and you're sheepishly trying to stay positive with more than a year to wait with previous command and Boeing experience? I'm sure later next year it will likely start to swing back with the 380 arrival but it doesn't make it any less painful for those affected. It's wrong pure and simple.

My guess of another 10% on utility...

southflyer
21st May 2007, 18:02
It is not really about being upgraded or not.....

I would have happily stayed (yes, I am out of there...) on the right seat for more money and a better schedule, not really interested in a crappy roster around the Middle East in a 330 with minimum days off...

About the "promises"..... well, 3, 4 or 12 years does not matter...., the thing is that whatever it was, it was just lies, plain and simple...

About the utilities increase, I say do not expect too much, you would be lucky if you get 10%, not more...

About a higher increase in pay than what was announced in January..... hahahahahahahahahah that's a good one.....

and remember guys and girls, it is OK to bend over backwards for your company, but never, never, never bend over forwards....

Hai!

Payscale
21st May 2007, 20:00
How long did you say you have been in aviation? If someone promisses you something will happen in 3 years, just smile and say "Oh, I see..."

In 3 years the place could have gone bust 2 years ago, or Pamela Anderson could be the new Sheik of Umm Al Quain....who knows!

atiuta
21st May 2007, 20:16
but the fact it went from a possible 18 mths

One word..."mercenary"

Accelerated is in the same booth as DEC, it bypassed any resemblance of a seniority list. Yes, EK will do as they like because they can but you're not going to get a sympathy vote if you call 'unfair' on a missed accelerated command or any other variation of a moving post. Not knocking anyones decision to join as a DEC/Accelerated or whatever planet you think you're on, just don't call foul when it all goes pear shaped.

Back to the brown letter.........not a chance.

formerijmpilot
22nd May 2007, 05:39
I thought I recognised her, on the beach.......

Is it true that there is now a topless beach, (for girls), in UAQ....
Guys have been topless for some time now...

IJM