21st May 2007, 01:01
For immediate release

17 MAY 2007

ADVENT AIR LIMITED
("Advent Air" or the "Company")

COMPANY UPDATE

FLEET DEVELOPMENT

Skywest has previously announced that it recently purchased outright two
additional F-50 turbo-prop aircraft bringing the number of F-50s operated by the
Group to seven. Skywest is actively seeking one or two additional F-50 aircraft
in the market, for outright purchase.

Skywest's management plans to lease a further three 100 seat jet aircraft in the
period to March 2008. This is subject to aircraft availability, a factor which
remains an issue for the airline, as worldwide demand for this type of aircraft
is currently high. If successful in securing the aircraft, this would bring the
number of F-100 aircraft operated by the group to six. These additional aircraft
may be leased from Avation PLC (a related corporation) or another aircraft
leasing company.

The Airbus A320 project in conjunction with XL Airways remains an important
medium term growth opportunity for the Group.

GROWTH PERFORMANCE

The Company continues to grow its airline business in both the traditional
regular passenger transport scheduled airline activity along with the resource
charter business. Skywest is in a unique position, in that it can combine RPT
and scheduled charter on the same flight, thus servicing the public and resource
clients to maximum capacity whilst fully utilising a single aircraft. This
represents a valuable proposition for the larger resource sector clients of
Skywest who are required to support local communities in consideration for their
right to mine certain resources.

The following comparisons are unaudited, are for the 9 months to the end of
March 2007 and are extracted from the management accounts of Skywest.
Comparisons are made to the 9 months to the end of March 2006.

• Skywest Net Profit increased 475%
• Total Revenues increased 33% with Scheduled Charter Revenue
increasing 62% and RPT Revenue has increasing 25%
• The Average Fare (RPT) increased 15%
• Passenger Numbers (RPT) increased 8.7%

FURTHER GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES FOR RPT BUSINESS

The operational management of Skywest believes that the following are potential
additional opportunities for further growth:

1. Additional capacity is planned to several existing destinations:

• Geraldton (currently 34 services per week)
• Exmouth (through continued growth of the offshore drilling by
Woodside, Apache and BHP Billiton)
• Newman (through expansion of the mining operations in this area)
• Kalgoorlie
• Albany (based on existing growth rates, this route will demand
additional frequency in the 3rd Quarter of 2007)
• Darwin.

2. New destinations under consideration:

• Karratha
• Port Hedland (earmarked to commence by July 2007).
• Kalgoorlie - Melbourne
• Broome - Singapore

Skywest continues to grow its ancillary revenue lines of business and those
associated with on-line website sales. Website sales of airline tickets have
increased by 46% on the prior year as at May 2007. On-line website sales of
tickets now comprise 32% of all ticket sales.

GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES FOR SCHEDULED CHARTER

The Company understands that with over AUD$80 billion in major resources
projects underway or planned, Western Australia is leading Australia in economic
growth. Importantly for Skywest, nearly all of these projects are totally
dependant on air transport from Perth to their mining sites in typically remote
and largely inaccessible regions. Since Skywest is a strong Western Australia
brand with over 43 years of experience in the state, its brand strength provides
strong leverage over competitors when marketing services to these resource
sector clients.

The Company's strategy includes the aggressive pursuit of long-term scheduled
resource charter contracts as and when they become on offer from resource sector
clients in the regions served by the airline. This strategy has already resulted
in an increase of 62% in scheduled charter revenues (unaudited) in the 9 month
period to March 2007, compared with a similar period in 2006.

CHALLENGES AND RISKS

Congestion at Perth Domestic Airport due to increased passenger and aircraft
movements and other factors has caused a lowering of Skywest's on time
performance ("OTP") compared with last year. Notwithstanding that airport
congestion may be outside the control of the management, improving the OTP is a
challenge faced by the Company.

The availability of additional aircraft and moreover trained crews to fly those
aircraft may limit the growth performance for the airline and the scheduling of
additional flights. The time taken to train and secure the services of flight
crew is an issue faced by management as the business continues to expand its
scale.

--ENDS--

Xeptu
21st May 2007, 01:20
What sort of press release is that! We're expanding but can't get any areoplanes or crew to fly them so we might not :)

Skywest has been so called expanding for 5 years and not much has changed over there in the last 5 years, which is a bit sad given the unprecedented growth rate of everything else.

Alliance is growing faster now with new bases in Perth and Adelaide, Skywest must be getting a tad nervous. Interesting times ahead it seems.

dijon moutard
21st May 2007, 02:22
In 2001 Xr had accumulated over $25 million in profits before the Ansett collapse and Air New Zealand then withdrew that capital just before the Ansett collapse.this money had been carefully put aside and was their to upgrade the fleet and invest in the airline.
Xr had only 5 f50 aircraft and around 50 odd pilots those days.
Xr now have 7 f50 aircraft (owned outright) and three f100 aircraft and pilot numbers will be close to 100 by years end.
so Xr came back from the brink with no capital from 2001 because of the Ansett "woes".
Xeptu you have "no idea" of what it takes to turn a company around and bring it back from a "financial abyss".
now i would like to see what's on your "resume" and what you have personally achieved in these last five year's.

cheers
dijon moutard

Xeptu
21st May 2007, 03:29
Oh!!!! Pleeeese, that was all more than 5 years ago, I'm merely responding to this published press release, you have to admit it says a whole lot of nothing.

Intrigued about the new routes though,

Kalgoorlie - Melbourne

Broome - Singapore

They should be an overwhelming success don't you think :)
How come you havn't looked at the obvious routes like, Perth - Yulara - Cairns. NJS has that one all to themselves and just like back in the Ansett days you can't get a seat at short notice on that flight for love or money. Thought that would have been a more sensible route.

By the way, where's those A320's November 2006 wasn't it.

dijon moutard
21st May 2007, 03:56
:mad:Xeptu oh dear get a life ; it is amazing what floats to the top.

again what's your resume : not much to answer there is there !!!

oh by the way glad your not in control of Xr ; i'll stand by XR record any day !!!

by the way who do you work for ; how's your conditions of work !!!
got an eba or do you work under an AWA !!!!

plainly you have too much time on your hands !!!!

the press release was detailed to the london stock exchage as part of the requirements of a public listing their ; simple end of story.

cheers
dijon moutard

Xeptu
21st May 2007, 04:36
Well obviously you work for Skywest, that would explain your passionate response, I'm not interested in making this personal, I'm merely responding to the original post as you should be.

So lets stay with the facts with maybe a little speculation is fine.

1. Skywest has not done anything "new" of any significance in the last 5 years.

2. Alliance is expanding at 3 times the rate of Skywest over the same period and operates the same equipment in several bases, including Perth.

3. QF excerised it's options on a further 10 Q-400's due for delivery in the 2008/9 financial year, surprise surprise at around the same time skywest's route protection expires. Incidentally, just 10 days after Skywest announced on the ASX it's had aquired a deal for 4 A320's due for deployment in Perth November 2006. ( maybe you could shed some light on whats happening there)

4. We know and the State Government has made it no secret, that Western Australia plans to be an open skies policy beyond 2009.

5. It is not inconceivable that QF may deploy those aircraft over skywests regional routes, complete with QF frequent flyer points. I would think if I were a gambling man that QF might win that battle. Given the current crew shortages, that might appear to be a better option for existing skywest crew also.

6. Yes! I have seen the Skywest Pilots Agreement, as it appears on the AIRC website, a very good and comprehensive agreement, well done and a credit to those who wrote it.

X

Kiwiconehead
21st May 2007, 04:52
QF excerised it's options on a further 10 Q-400's due for delivery in the 2008/9 financial year,

QF have only got 2 more Q400s coming early 2008. No others have been announced.

Erin Brockovich
21st May 2007, 05:16
Although both XR & QL are short on crew, I would be siding with the former to be the one standing. With QL now having to advertise twice in the Australian and with the new low minimum requirements, they are in no position to expand west.
Having said that, I heard that out of 20-30 people called for XR interviews recently, only 3-5 said yes.

I would suggest to Skywest to get with the times regarding the NASA recruiting process and attract some good long term crews with a simple interview. If it were to improve on its already good (relative to its neighbours) T & Cs then I think they could be the benchmark. No endo fee, bond, AWA and good morale are great, but not enough anymore. If they introduce a smoother, more relevant recruiting process and sweeten the pot a bit, well – the sky is the limit.

I don’t think QL would be a better option for XR crew by any stretch of the imagination. Personally I think it will be the QF group that will struggle in the future.

It’s a good time to be a pilot and it is important to support the good airlines like XR. They will be the ones that retain crew and survive.

Ps I don’t work for either mob.

cunninglinguist
21st May 2007, 06:44
how's the 320 coming along dij :confused: I have some FCOMs for hire if you like :rolleyes:

Xeptu, you should know better than to question the great Mustarde, I did once and have'nt been the same since :uhoh:
...and I'm bitter and twisted :ugh:

Xeptu
21st May 2007, 06:49
Oh! Well clearly he's not the sharpest knife in the draw, he had me going there for a bit, initially I thought he was a pilot and worked for Skywest, obviously not the case.

Betwixt and Between
21st May 2007, 06:56
Its a valid question re the A320's. The below was released in August 2006. As a listed company Xr is public, and has made a deal with another public company, Avion Group. That means shareholders are expecting returns from this deal. As it hasn't happened by the touted date of Nov 06, does this mean there are some cranky shareholders out there, - both XR and Avion? Or have they backed out on the deal. I'm no expert, but failure to disclose this kind of information to the shareholding public should not be taken lightly.
PS anyone shed anylight on who Advent Air is ??

"PERTH-BASED regional carrier Skywest has announced a deal in which four A320 aircraft will be added to its fleet “to establish various new services”.

UK-listed Advent Air, which is Skywest’s major shareholder, said the planes will come from an Iceland-based firm called Avion Group which currently owns Star Airlines in France and Germanbased Star Europe.

The company said it intends to add the A320s to Skywest’s current high-capacity Air Operators Certificate, with even more aircraft to be added to cope with seasonal demand if required.

The deal also includes provision of a marketing budget for the establishment of new routes and there’s a profit sharing deal which will see each party paying its own costs, and Skywest not exposed to any capital investment.

Advent’s Jeff Chatfield said the move would also allow some of the carrier’s existing aircraft to be used to service charters for the “buoyant resources sector environment”.

pilotdude09
21st May 2007, 08:02
Interesting they are looking at bringing back Karratha, they done well out of here but witht the constant delays and tech problems they gained a bad rep.

Bring back some competition on KTA-PER!

Over and gout
21st May 2007, 08:42
I've travelled a fair bit to various places around WA on Skywest and one thing they do extremely well is delay flights. I don't think I have ever left Perth at the time specified....and another thing whilst I'm slagging them off..is it too much to ask to have the aircraft cleaned?

The hosties are hot though...:ok:

Xeptu
21st May 2007, 08:55
hell yeah! we might as well slag off while we're here, I had a terrible experience on one flight, it must have been 50 degrees inside and took an hour before it finally cooled down. I was sitting next to the engine and oil was pouring out all over the thing and dripping off at the back, I asked the hostie, which I might add was not overly attractive, in fact I distinctly remember thinking, christ must be hard to get flighties these days, anyway she said it was quite normal. Then I went to the toilet and well it was a bit on the nose to start with till I flushed the thing and ended up with blue sh*t all over my new white sneekers, I said to her I suppose thats normal too.

Nope I can't say there was anything there that overly impressed me. I think they were on time though.

Brasilian Bird
21st May 2007, 14:31
is it too much to ask to have the aircraft cleaned?

I suggest you direct THAT complaint to Aeroscare, many a time I have watched the hosties running after cleaners who yet again have walked off without properly cleaning the aircraft!!

For some reason it doesn't seem to happen so much to DJ.. hmmm.... :E

As for delays.. come stand on the taxiway at 0600 any weekday, everyone is delayed that time of day!!

Cheers,

Braz

apacau
21st May 2007, 21:58
Can the F100 do KGI-MEL nonstop without weight penalties?

topend3
21st May 2007, 22:52
For some reason it doesn't seem to happen so much to DJ.. hmmm....

aero-care dont clean dj in perth brasilian bird...also to xeptu you are saying nothings changed at xr in 5 years...you don't know what you are talking about mate...

Xeptu
22nd May 2007, 00:28
Well whats changed then, sure they have added another two F50's, so what, otherwise it's appears to be the same as it was 5 years ago, if something major has or is happening "what" do tell.

CoffeeButton
22nd May 2007, 00:29
Here are some facts that i know of....

The two additional F50's are to replace the two recently bought F50's. FNE and FNF are heaps of junk. No hot galley and can not be installed. These two are that bad that several towns, GEL, ABA and ESP, have requested XR not fly those aircraft to their ports. They are even stupid enough to sent one of these to the Granites, at 4.5hour flight. Long time to go without a hot meal.

Additional F-100's, yeah right. They cant even keep 3 of the in the air. The XR board some time ago decided NOT to have a stock pile of spares. So they sold them all. Big mistake. They are more than happy to have an aircraft AOG in KNX or some other place for 3 days, than to have spares.

And CASA told XR that their hangar was not big enough to justify 7 F50's on a RPT AOC. So one of them is charter only. Not that XR take much notice of CASA.

So...XR expanding? Maybe not. They cant even operate an airline with the equipment they have got.

Over and gout
22nd May 2007, 02:16
As for delays.. come stand on the taxiway at 0600 any weekday, everyone is delayed that time of day!!

I'm not talking about traffic delays. I went through a period where I travelled for work on the F100 once a week supposedly departing a 0600. I couldn't help but notice the Virgin flight parked next bay up was also scheduled to be pushed back at 0600 (which it consistantly did) and we always consistantly pushed back a good 10 minutes after it.....

cunninglinguist
22nd May 2007, 07:38
I'm glad you bought that up turkee, I never saw more than 30 or 40 pax and that was doing the milk run!
If it was doing so well then why the hell would they have pulled out.
Same old same old in WA ( Wait Awhile ), when we started there back in '94 and Ansett had everything tied up, Qlink probably averaged well below 50% loads, now XR just doing more of the same.

greybeard
22nd May 2007, 10:16
Virgin and XR parked next to each other, normal for bays 18/19/20, which ever one gets the tug/dispatch/pushback will block the other until they taxi, then the delayed other taxiing A/C pass behind then the second one gets a push.
That end of the tarmac is crap at the best of times, worse at 0600, 40 mins from ready to push to airborne is one case I was involved in. Stuffs up the day it does.
Skywest have survived in spite of Ansett going gutz up, going from 60 pilots in 2005 to 100 pilots in 2007/2008 seems to be moving OK as Mustard says.
There always were a core of great people in Flt Ops, getting their heads around the expansion in spite of some percieved Corporate disasters, some new hires getting F-50 commands in short times Industry wise.
They, along with others on Perth, will have their work cut out to get suitable people to fill the slots needed to do the plans they have.
Knock them if you wish, join them if you wish, world is not going to stop either way.

:ok::ok:

pilotdude09
22nd May 2007, 10:41
Turkee:

Didnt realise their loads were that crap, the way people talk their flights were always full. I did know that woodside supported them.

But all the major companys as you said have contracts with QF, and most people get free flights up here and fly with QF to get those FF points and just to fly "Qantas".

But then Skywest done something that everyone is doing in Karratha at the moment leaving town, its starting to implode on its self now. Everythings closing down. Cinema, Chicken Treat (drive through is open when they feel like it) and many small businesses have closed up :ugh:

WALLEY2
22nd May 2007, 10:59
They have increased BME-PER, KNX-PER, BME-DWN, and when DJ pulled the PER-BME flights for May for 170 training reasons, they temporarily put on an additional 2 flights per week BME-PER.

When the tender was out for the coastal routes, those destinations and their shires lobbied to have their excellent (their words not mine) services retained.

Certainly I have no complaints from my flights on their F50 or F100.

They compete in an enviroment that includes QF, undoubtedly one of the greatest Airlines in the world and DJ a new, well run, strong, cost efficient, profitable airline. Holding your own in that league is tough, but they have done better and expanded.

Do not bother about CVs tell me what company have you owned or was CEO for, which matches their performance?

havick
22nd May 2007, 11:20
quote xeptu - "How come you havn't looked at the obvious routes like, Perth - Yulara - Cairns. NJS has that one all to themselves"

Have you considered who owns Yulara airport and what agreements have been made to keep other operators out (ie pax tax etc..)? I don't think it's as simple as one day walking into work and saying, I think we'll operate perth - yulara because that seems like an obvious choice.

BrazDriver
22nd May 2007, 12:12
Flew XR PH-KA last year before they pulled out. There was only 6 passengers including myself.

I have seen less passengers on board than that too! I can count on my hand the number of fullish flights I saw boarding!

They were terribly unreliable, sometimes they just would never show up!

As for the inflight product, fantastic. Good meal plenty of legroom.

Their terminal crew in KTA was fantastic, full credit to them, they did a great job in trying circumstances!!

Miners also liked using their frequent fliers for the Qantas Lounge and getting upgraded.

Stick Pusher
22nd May 2007, 13:59
hard to operate into a port where 95% of traffic is tied up with contracts don't you think? i one was to hang on for as long as one could waiting for the "yes we'll sufpport you and send pax your way" but it never happens, until things change you can't oiss money into the wind forever, best re assign your resources I would think. and they did.

They have growing pains and things are runnig a 100% and there is unfortunately little fat from what I hear when things enevitably go bung. always hard with one maint. base. an I know the congestiona perth is ****e. 12 deep and all heading the same way at the same time, not hard to do the maths.

From 5 to 10 and looks like 15 aircraft, might seem small in number but % wise it's a big number and one which counts in my book in these tages. adding say 5 aircraft when you ahve 50 or so isn't as much. One thing I know of from people in there is that they try and try very hard and are very dedicaste proud lot, rare these days. Although it won't happen overnight it will eventually. I hear great plans and initiatives are afoot (be it a bit late off the mark) they will pervail and good on them I say. Other companies are going to feel the pinch soon enough if not already...

good luck to a company that treats it's crews well (no endt, bonds, great life style, etc...)

SP

Hawk777
23rd May 2007, 02:11
Xeptu

"5. I would think if I were a gambling man that QF might win that battle. Given the current crew shortages, that might appear to be a better option for existing skywest crew also."

Have you looked into how many Eastern pilots have left to come to Skywest and vice a versa. I think you will find Skywest wins something like 4 to ZERO. So why would Skywest crews even consider moving across.

From recent threads a good indication of morale (and T&C's) at a company is to look at how many pilots are leaving in this so called "pilot shortage". Last year Skywest lost six pilots. 3 to Cathay, 2 to retirement and 1 to 737 command at OZJET. This year only 1 has left to take up a 767 contract in Asia. That to me is a great vote for Skywest. No doubt a few more will leave this year but I will guarantee not one will leave to fly turbo props for any other regional in Aust.

OTP is a huge issue at Skywest at the moment. So much so the company update even reports it. At least there is acknowledgement and a great deal of effort going into working through the problem.

H777

Xeptu
23rd May 2007, 02:44
H777 I have no doubt what you are saying is correct, which highlights my point in other threads, "There is no shortage of skills in Australia, it's more of a case there is a shortage of skilled people willing to work for $15 per hour"

If you offer the right terms and conditions, look after your staff, in this climate a company would be less effected by the crew shortage facing the Industry.

Historically skywest is a good sound company, morale is good as are the terms and conditions and is therefore "lesser" likely to be effected. I sincerly hope it flourises.

However, that point aside, in the event and I'm not suggesting for a moment that this "will" happen only that it is conceivable that it could. "If" Qantas "not Easterns as it would be more likely to be NJS/Qantas Link anyway, should drop 3 or 4 Q-400's in perth to operate over skywests high yield routes only, that no XR pilot would even bother to apply. A new Q-400 on the same pay, with staff travel, based in perth.

Pilots being what they are, I'm tipping there would be falling over themselves.

Any XR Pilots willing to coment on that.

RENURPP
23rd May 2007, 05:45
Last time I checked, the Qantas subsiduaries didnt offer ID90 on mainline

About time you checked again!:ooh:

ID90 is not worth a knob of goat ****e though.:}

cunninglinguist
23rd May 2007, 05:56
Jeez, Renurpp, thats twice I 've had to agree with you this year, will have to stop meeting like this :}

Poorly paid, all QF subsiduaries get QF staff travel which is a truck load better than ID90 ( NJS/Qlink not QF sub )
IE:PH-DN ( upgradable to J ) = $190

ID90 with NJS/Qlink via AS = $330 ( last time I used it ) not rubbing your nose in it Renurrp, I did put up with that crap for 12 years :yuk:

On the subject of PH-AYE-CS, yes NJS/Qlink do well out of it, add another 100seater to the route and no one will make money ( especially during summer )

RENURPP
23rd May 2007, 06:06
The scary thing is that we tend to agree on to many things, just a different way of saying it.
Starting to sound like a love in!!!:E

marieclaire
23rd May 2007, 06:44
I am under family pressure to come home to Australia, Perth if possible. I have previously flown F70/100's so Skywest is an obvious choice. A couple of contacts have said that Skywest check and training is like a Gestapo interrogation and that none of the check captains have ever worked for a real airline and will victimize anyone who has. They also said that Skywest has a low turn over of pilots because it too expensive to move the family to the eastern states rather than Skywest being a great place to work, and that many of the senior pilots have had enough and are trying to get into Tiger when it starts up. Could any Skywest people please shed some light, I always enjoyed visits to Perth but do not want to be stuck there having moved from the UK.

Hawk777
23rd May 2007, 07:23
marieclaire

Nice wind up, I'm sure there are some Skywest check and trainers who would take huge offence to that comment.

The main reason people don't leave is because where else in Oz can you earn $130,000 p/a plus allowances as a Jet Capt and only work 59hrs and spend 4 nights away per 28days?

No doubt there are a few guys looking at Oz Tiger as one of their mates, an ex Skywest pilot, is heading up the Training and Checking Dept of Tiger Aust. I would suggest a pay of somewhere in the region of $160,000 would have to be on offer to get them across though.

cunninglinguist
23rd May 2007, 08:19
Hawk, they're talking circa 180K.......................
BTW, wot allowances do you get for 4 nights away per month:confused:

Urrp, do you like camping :E

JetRacer
23rd May 2007, 09:18
Hawk posted:
Quote:
The main reason people don't leave is because where else in Oz can you earn $130,000 p/a plus allowances as a Jet Capt and only work 59hrs and spend 4 nights away per 28days?
From the agreement found at OSIRIS, the pay is as follows for a F100 Pilot. Overtime commences after 59 hours:
Appendix B Pay Scales and duty based allowances.
01 July 2005 - 30 June 2006
Year
of Service First Officer Captain
1st Year $70,200 $108,000
2nd Year $71,175 $109,500
3rd Year $72,150 $111,000
4th Year $73,125 $112,500
5th Year $74,100 $114,000
6th Year $75,075 $115,500
7th Year $76,050 $117,000
8th Year $77,025 $118,500
9th Year $78,000 $120,000
10th Year $78,975 $121,500
So I dont know where you get $130000 from PLUS allowances, if you only work 59 hours per month..:= :ugh:

Valdiviano
23rd May 2007, 09:50
A bit off the thread
is lou t, drivers and john d, eng. still with skywest????

cunninglinguist
23rd May 2007, 10:11
Jet, you forgot to add in super :rolleyes:

Hawk777
23rd May 2007, 10:25
JetRacer - I probably got a month ahead of myself. As of 30th June 06 the $121,500 went up 3% to $125,145 and from 30th Jun 07 Capts will be on 3% more again at $128,899 which for me is near enough $130k. PLUS SUPER. I quote the ten year scale as most of the Capt's on the 100 have been around for more than 10 years.

Cunning - Allowances are as per the award. Works out to be about $120 per day so with the current schedule for your one night you'd be looking at approx $200 which is about an extra $9,000 per year.

$180k, if that's true then maybe Skywest might lose a couple of Capt's to Tiger but if that $180k comes with 1000hrs per year maybe not.

outback aviator
23rd May 2007, 13:15
Yes!..........

topend3
24th May 2007, 03:15
it can be done!!!

22 February 2005
MEDIA RELEASE

SKYWEST WINS AGAIN ON PUCTUALITY

For the fifth consecutive month, Skywest has beaten big operators Qantas and Virgin Blue to take out top honours in the nation's official comparison of airline punctuality.

The on-time performance statistics, showed 93.3 percent of Skywest's arrivals and departures in December were within 15 minutes of schedule, a result that was 9.4 percent ahead of the national average of 85.3 percent. The nearest competitors, Virgin Blue and Jetstar scored 86.7 percent. .

Skywest Marketing Manager, Alisia Battalis-Mumby said the results confirmed the airline's sustained high performance in quality customer service.

"To have the highest on-time performance score ahead of the major competitive players, consistently over five months, demonstrates a service reliability that our passengers can expect," Battalis-Mumby said.

"To beat Australia's largest airlines is a huge achievement for Skywest and we are very pleased with the results."

The figures, measured monthly since November 2003, compare the results of Skywest, Regional Express, Virgin Blue, Qantas and Qantas subsidiaries Jetstar and QantasLink. The results show that Skywest has consistently outperformed the other airlines included in the comparison between July and December 2004.

Skywest's strong record of on-time flight departures was significantly better than Qantas and QantasLink who showed results of 83.1 percent and 84.5 percent respectively.

End of Media Release.

cunninglinguist
24th May 2007, 04:34
God I hate this :mad: crap!!
To the best of my knowledge, QF and JQ are the only operators in Oz that have their hands tied to reporting departure/arrival times by ACARs.
Having flown for QFlink/NJS for a number of years I can say that on time departures where anything within ( depending on length of sector )15- 20mins of sched dep. time.

What proof that XR departures are'nt the same?
Also, QF and VB have I dont know how many more 1000s of departures/arrivals than XR. How much easier is it to keep 12 a/c in the air versus 50 or 100 a/c :confused: Do XRs a/c average 12 hours a day ala JQ :confused:

Notice that it is all percentages, not one figure mentioned.
Statistics, wot a load of :mad: , they can say whatever you want them to.

Hawk777
24th May 2007, 06:08
Cunning,

Yes QF and VB have alot more departures than XR but they also have alot more people helping get those aircraft out on time.

Its all relative, and thats the reason for STATS. They put it all into perspective. What good would it be if they reported that Skywest had 40 on time departures one day but QF had 1000. Does it mean that QF had a better on time performance than Skywest???? even though QF had 2000 departures in total that day and Skywest only had 50???? ie 50% OT vs 80%. I DON"T THINK SO

I think you'll find there are more Airlines than just QF and Jetstar who follow the correct rules / guidelines when it comes down to reporting on time performance. Maybe you should do some research.....

BTW What is your problem with Skywest? You always seem to be one of the first to jump in and bag them. How about acknowledging the fact that they are one of the better companies when it comes down to T & C's and lifestyle.

Betwixt and Between
24th May 2007, 06:57
Have a look at
http://www.btre.gov.au/statistics/aviation/otp_month.aspx.
I think you will find that while the 2005 on time report was favourable, something must have happened between then and more recent times which report anything but favourable. March report is 8.1% of all Xr flights cancelled, and 80.9% on time versus industry average of 86%.

cunninglinguist
24th May 2007, 09:08
Not bagging Skywest actually, plenty of other people have done that re their OTP with KA etc.
As have said repeatedly, with your champion, Dijon Mustard, am against bull:mad: and statements that are absolute crap eg: Skywest will be operating 320s by November 06 being a case in point, everyone who was'nt in fairyland knew it was'nt going to happen
I dont need to go to a govt website to find out that, like I used to, XR and VB etc look at their watches and give a departure time, not an auto downloaded time from the GPS clock........wot, you think someone from the gummint watches all of XR,VB departures to check they are'nt cheating :confused:
They sure as hell did'nt in my 12 years at Q/Link.
It doesn't matter how many people you have, a/c break down and the more you have the more chance you have of break downs.
And hawk me old mate, if qf had 80% of 1000 departures on time they had 800 a/c depart on time V XR 95% of 50 departures = 47 on time departures, a little easier to manage, dont you think?

topend3
24th May 2007, 11:31
hawk : dont try getting cunners to come around, hes a known xr bagger...:ugh::ugh:

SkySista
24th May 2007, 16:06
March report is 8.1% of all Xr flights cancelled

Of which you'll find many I believe were contract charters that were 'not required' by the companies who originally enlisted them. Yes, they've had their fare share of breakdowns lately, but it's not ALL about 'unreliable performance'.

As to QF's "1000 departures" vs XR... the average age of QF aircraft is a lot less than XR's ... older aircraft of course tend to go tech more often than new ones... no matter the airline!!!

Stick Pusher
24th May 2007, 16:40
if anyone that fies out of perth at peak times hasn't been stacked 12 deep and ATC not helping been the most conservative in the known world and aircraft all going the same way not helping put your hand up...? This has a big ripple effect on a comany that is flat out would i'd say. When you cop delays at the gate (now 4 operators at the MUDT) then on the holding point then airborne... Just look at the parking of cars at Perth and think that doesn't reflect onto the other side of the fence...?
and that affects all operators on the filed not just XR...
:ugh:

rack 'n stack
24th May 2007, 22:49
It's no wonder there are delays out of Perth. When the companies allow the accountants to write contracts that insist that 50 departures plan ETDs of 0545-0630 every Mon-Thurs what can we expect. Then lo and behold the clever dudes all want to arrive 0930 in the morning and you blame ATC! Give me a break.

Cluster scheduling is the problem not ATC. Whilst it is nothing new, there are just more of you and the same number of us as there was 15 years ago. The infrastructure at the airport also does not support the traffic growth experienced. Remember the Bomber carpark, well the only thing that has changed since then is the carpark! Same runways, same taxyways, same apron. Brilliant aerodrome when the Kittyhawks were flying! NOt so good now though.

Skystar320
24th May 2007, 23:43
you having a go at accountants now? pppppppppttttttttttfffffffffff

Stick Pusher
25th May 2007, 01:09
unfortunately contract clients and business people pretty much dictate when they wish to travel. would be nice to have flights later (and sleep in!!!) but no one will be on the seats....

catch 22 i guess.

Skystar320
25th May 2007, 03:18
Exactly, aint no accountants problem. We just make the figures in favour and actually make a profit

rack 'n stack
25th May 2007, 04:00
You guys telling me the clients are happy to be locked away at 0545 for a 6am departure and wait til the apron is clear of SLF til engine start? Then Le Mans start from the northern apron and the crews get a little put out when they taxy number 31 and get held on the ground for 30 minutes, doesn't sound like economics to me.

Dont know what stories are being told to the clients but it would seem to me that if a flight departed 20 minutes later and did not hold at the holding point for 20 minutes the arrival at the mine would be the same as if it went at 0600 and waited at the HP.

Another problem with cluster scheduling is that the number of miles between number 1 and number 30 needs to be at least 150 (5nm radar standard outside 36 Perth), tower throws them in the air 3 miles apart, TCU needs to stretch them to get 5 and sometimes 10 due to non radar coverage north of 160PH, the delays start to add up. The ATCs do their best within the confines of airspace, sep standards and noise abatement to accommodate everyone, however there is sometimes just not enough space to get everyone where they want to go, when they want to go.

Add Jandakot departures/arrivals (60 per day thru the TMA) and the odd military transit and the picture starts to become clearer. So dont tell me industry cant say to a client, look if we depart 20 minutes later we would arrive at the same time 'cause those nasty ATC types wont need to delay us for the other 30 or so heading the same way. Perhaps i'm dreamin'!

AND if you can't/won't then dont blame me when you are delayed. Old rules of ATC - one on the runway at a time and dont let them hit each other!

Betwixt and Between
25th May 2007, 05:08
Actually, Skysista: the DOTARS statistics are nothing to do with contract charter as they pertain to RPT flights only. Also, Cunning: these stats are as reported by the airline, not as counted by any government department.

Hawk777
25th May 2007, 06:17
Rack'n'Stack, From what I've heard and seen no-one is blaming ATC on the delays due congestion. We understand your doing the best you can despite extreme circumstances. I always thought ground controlling would be easier than Approach/Deps etc but just listening to ground between 0545-0700 I have changed my mind. :D

The delays Skywest are contributing to the congestion are more a reflection on the lack of facilities/space both in the terminal and on the tarmac. You could possibly blame WAC on their lack of foresight in constructing more taxiways, terminals, parking etc but I don't think anyone could have predicted the BOOM was going to affect aviation in WA as much as it has.

For your info, The departure times are based on an aircraft pushing back or taxying off the bay so waiting for 20 mins at the holding point does not affect the on time departure stats. However, one thing the congestion has caused is the inability to tow aircraft to their bays on time, hence a delay.

Please don't take offence, No one is blaming ATC.:ok:

Cheers

Skystar320
25th May 2007, 06:58
Yawn! Next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawk777
25th May 2007, 07:21
Sorry, is this better,

TO all ATC people - WE SHOULD BE NUMBER ONE IN THE FLOW CONTROLLERS PLAN ALL THE TIME, WE DON'T WANT TO WAIT AT THE HOLDING POINT ANYMORE, YOU GUYS SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET AIRCRAFT AWAY EVERY 15 SECS, WE WANT PRIORITY, WE ARE IMPORTANT, WE...WE....RULE OK! YOU ATC PEOPLE SHOULD TAKE YOUR GRIPES ELSEWHERE, YOU DON'T SEE US PILOTS WHINGING ON PPRUNE DO YOU?

For those that fail to see my humour, it's just a joke.....

BYE

aulglarse
25th May 2007, 07:51
Why can't 2 aircraft push back at the same time and stop at a 45degree angle like they do in ADL? Is this because there isn't enough ramp space behind to do this? Or is it too hard logistically for WAC to implement?

A Yak From Yemen
25th May 2007, 12:25
Excusa mee wha dee original Question again ??? :hmm:

halas
25th May 2007, 20:01
Interesting....

Having worked for XR many years ago and l do remember the waiting for our turn to go in the J31 from Delta on 21.

Then in AN on the BAe146 waiting as all the rest of the fleet wanted to leave at the same time and the un-selective push-back sequence.

Now in EK doing 425 and still waiting for departure. The other day it was 35 minutes from push-back to wheels-off from 03.

Not bad in regard to most ports they serve, but then most ports that have a taxi time in excess of 15 minutes have two usable runways that are in excess of 3000m, and a flight time much less than 8 hours and not the 10+ to get to DXB from PER.

halas

Stick Pusher
26th May 2007, 00:33
things are getting very busy in Perth and factors are on all fronts, ramp space, more operators, aircraft, heavier peak periods, more flights, one runway at times... (still waiting for that master plan WAC! I'm sure they have shares in a car park tar laying company!) etc, etc. i'd say a 5min delay on a 55 min flight is 10% you have to make up, 14min (which fits into the OTP guidline) is 25% of the flight time. That's very hard to make up that kind of % in a one speed aircraft I'd suggest, can't crank it up to .85! but also OTP doesn't take in account delays once off the blocks...

Anyway I digress (thanks Yak!)

To source aircraft that aren't built anymore and are limited in availabilty, condition and certain specs, then to get them preped online doesn't happen overnight, but from what i hear they are O/S looking and sourcing as we speak... They have employed alot of new people and expertise lately and have a lot of good initiatives on the way from what I hear, but like anything they take time to see the effects. But at least they are on to it and trying. And prepared to take on and try new things (and that includes A320's. I wouldn't get bogged down on when they say they are coming or not, but what is good to see is they are looking at other options, routes, types, expansion etc. So what it didn't happen end of last year, or is doesn't happen this year, but maybe next or the one after that, just good to see they are looking at options, and if they do get them more jobs for pilots - cool!) 5 aircraft, to now 10, to sounds like 15 soon. might not sound alot but % it's a big jump in staffing, etc. adding 5 aircraft when you have 50 isn't such a big deal.

Good on them I say.

SP

greybeard
26th May 2007, 13:53
ref #35 from a newbe
with respect
You may need to rephrase your comments and check the validity of the comments about the Check and Training qualifications of Skywest.
There are many with circa 15,000 hrs/30+ yrs of experiance in the system, ex RAAF heavy, ex Overseas wide body command and considerable check/training exposure mixed in.
One jet Trainer/Checker has 19,000 hrs, 40 yrs in "Real Airlines", Ansett, Airfrance, Sabena, SIA and has 11,00 Jet command, 5,000 jet training, 2,500 jet Simulator check and training and is currently recognised by 5 non Australian Companies as a check and trainer.
Standards are required, usually those who make the most noise are those who find it hard.
There are "crule shepherds" as I call them in this world, not too evident there.
:=:=

Over and gout
27th May 2007, 03:47
the pay is as follows for a F100 Pilot. Overtime commences after 59 hours:
Appendix B Pay Scales and duty based allowances.
01 July 2005 - 30 June 2006
Year
1st Year $70,200 $108,000
2nd Year $71,175 $109,500
3rd Year $72,150 $111,000
4th Year $73,125 $112,500
5th Year $74,100 $114,000
6th Year $75,075 $115,500
7th Year $76,050 $117,000
8th Year $77,025 $118,500
9th Year $78,000 $120,000
10th Year $78,975 $121,500

Just out of interest...how much is the F50 pay scale?

jarjar
27th May 2007, 07:05
F50 Payscale as follows, remembering that the figures shown have increased by 3%, and then a furhter 3% each July:

Year F50

1st Year $52,000 $80,000
2nd Year $52,650 $81,000
3rd Year $53,300 $82,000
4th Year $53,950 $83,000
5th Year $54,600 $84,000
6th Year $55,250 $85,000
7th Year $55,900 $86,000
8th Year $56,550 $87,000
9th Year $57,200 $88,000
10th Year $57,850 $89,000

cunninglinguist
28th May 2007, 03:09
Rack n stack, if ATC at places like Heathrow, LAX, etc operated like aust.ATC, A/C going in to those places would have to carry days holding, not minutes.
The warm fuzzy of having 1/2 of WA between A/C was great in the '60s, but as air traffic increases it is cleary not working, and wasting millions of dollars in fuel each year.
If you reckon its fair enough to have A/C holding in VMC at 40 odd miles just because that A/C is no 5 in the sequence, you really need to have a look abroad.

Damm, I forgot to bag Skywest..........Skywest suck, there, now i feel better

Over and gout
28th May 2007, 04:46
Damm, I forgot to bag Skywest..........Skywest suck, there, now i feel better

Feels good doesn't it:ok:

rack 'n stack
28th May 2007, 06:10
Didn't take long did it. 4/5 of WA is outside radar coverage. Not much we can do about that. Compare apples and apples. Europe - full radar coverage SFC-high., US - full radar coverage 1200' to high, Australia full radar coverage from 160 west of AD to 160 north of CS. Then a 160 mile circle around Perth. Pity most of the minesites and destinations are outside this distance so procedural separation is needed. They tell me ADS-B will be better with smaller standards than radar. Until that time we just play the game with the rules we've got.

Third rule of ATC - no shunting allowed.

The thing that gets me the most is - I've flown but not many have controlled, yet everyone knows how to make the ATC system so much better. It would be nice to be anointed with such wisdom.

Here's a pearl - why not send 1 737 to the mines instead of 10 turbos? That's one out and one in - frees up 18 slots for the IAL trainers and VFR overshoots that insist on using Perth like it was a GAAP aerodrome.

Hawk777
28th May 2007, 06:47
Sounds good to me Rack, but as long as its got a blue cats arse on the tail and its more European......(insert Fokker or Airbus depending weather your a bagger or non-bagger)

cunninglinguist
28th May 2007, 07:43
Hey racker, never said it was your fault, but the Oz system, overall, is the second best in the world......................
Thats not necessarily having a go at you and your wormates.
And don't get me started on " Dickspace " :mad:

Ralph the Bong
28th May 2007, 11:49
Blue Cats arse.. took me a while to figure that one out , then cracked up!! Good one Hawkie!:p

chimbu warrior
27th Jul 2007, 10:35
PRESS RELEASE

27/07/07

Skywest announces expansion.

Skywest Airlines announced today that it has secured a further two Fokker 100 jets adding to the company’s existing Perth based fleet of ten jet and propjet aircraft.

Skywest Managing Director, Hugh Davin advised that the aircraft will bring the company’s jet fleet up to five 100 seaters. “These aircraft are essential to the growth of our airline and resource sector support activities”, Mr Davin said.

Skywest CEO, Paul Daff advised that the delivery program was still being worked through with the first of the two aircraft expected to enter service in late September followed by the second in November. A sixth jet is on the agenda for early 2008.

“Once a delivery date has been confirmed, the airline will be in the position to announce increased services and additional routes, including a firm start date for the much anticipated Kalgoorlie to East Coast service,” Mr Daff said.

Mr Daff went on to say that the announcement was great news for the WA market and that the leasing of these additional aircraft facilitated exciting growth for Skywest Airlines.

End of Media Release.

Going Boeing
27th Jul 2007, 10:40
Have they got enough pilots to fly these extra jets?

dijon moutard
27th Jul 2007, 13:27
xr will have pilot numbers up and running for each new aircraft introduction as they arrive.
check and training dept flat-out plus help from alteon singapore has the task well in hand.

cheers
dijon moutard

cunninglinguist
27th Jul 2007, 16:06
They might be able to crew the F100s, but how the heck are they going to crew the ( SORRY SUPERMOTARD, WAS IT 5 ?? ) A320s that will definitely be operating in Skywest colours by November 2006.:confused:

I'm all ready to jump ship, mustard :}