PDA

View Full Version : FO to Capt upgrade

bleeds off
20th May 2007, 10:56
Hello there,

I was wondering about how long on average it took to a right handed FO who has got quite a fine feel of his type, to acquire the equivalent fine feel when upgraded on the left hand seat.
I'm particularly referring to cross wind landings in very turbulent air masses.
Would appreciate feedbacks of concrete experiences:ok:
thx
bleeds

I Just Drive
20th May 2007, 12:32
Bloody ages. Im still waiting years on. Especially having come out of flying instruction for a few years before that. Last time I floe left seat was as a PPL. Good luck.

parabellum
20th May 2007, 12:45
The easiest part of the transition from RHS to LHS is the flying and by the time you have finished your upgrade you will feel as though you had never been anywhere else but the LHS.

The hardest part is the mental transition from co-pilot or FO to Captain, from having little or nothing to worry about to being in total control and more importantly totally responsible. This last part usually becomes most apparent in the SIM, which is what it is for, emphasising the need for good command training.

Ghostflyer
20th May 2007, 12:56
Maybe 10 sectors on the bus? But...still put the Engine Page up when trying to change range scales occasionally coz gets even worse when fly from both seats. Try to turn off runway with speedbrake etc etc.

chasing767
7th Jun 2007, 21:13
the worst thing You have to cope with is ....YOur seat and all the handles which are now on the opposite side. you wanna move fwd - you go down...
funny indeed.

seriously - it does take time. it has to. to grow up.needless to say more.

MaxReheat
7th Jun 2007, 21:22
'Upgrade' - yukspeak! It's not a b***y hi-fi system or biggger and better washing machine you're 'upgrading'. You are being promoted to the rank of captain to take command of an aircraft, its crew and, when appropriate, its passengers and shoulder the responsiblities thereof. 'Upgrade' :yuk:

Rainboe
7th Jun 2007, 21:22
Well it took us in Big Airways a long time to upgrade- it's the luck of the draw (and the seniority system). 19 years. I seriously doubted my ability to fly with the left hand. It took, about, being conservative, very approximately, without putting too fine a point on it....say in the region of about roughly 3 minutes to get used to it, and know I didn't ever want to go back!

The biggest problem is when the cabin crew or groundstaff come up with a question for the Captain, and you just sit there vacantly looking out of the window waiting for 'the Boss' to answer......'cept it's you now! Know your regulations. As for the fancy flying on the other side- no problemo at all.