PDA

View Full Version : Gulf METAR 20/05/2007

Gulfstreamaviator
20th May 2007, 04:59
Todays Metar for Abu Dhabi included: OMAA 200400Z 20004KT 4000 R13/P2000N R31/1900D DU SKC 28/10 Q1008 A2977 NOSIG=

What is the R13/P2000N R31/1900D, please....

Glf

masalama
20th May 2007, 05:07
I think the R13 and R 31 indicates the runways 13/31 and the figures denote RVR/Vis criteria ...in this case plus or greater than 2000 m and 1900 in dust.....although it's been a while/too lazy to look up a decoder...the N and d before du seems funny....hmmm.

Boeing 777-300ER
20th May 2007, 05:33
'P2000N'

The P means more than and the N at the end means No change

'1900D'

The 'D' at the end means Decreasing (trend).

The other letter used with RVR values is 'U' meaning Upward trend.

Hope that this helps.

MumbaiRadio
20th May 2007, 06:26
Seaman,
u must be australian..

wastafarian
20th May 2007, 09:25
must be a brit then.

hey semen stays,

can i get your cel phone number pleese? i'd love to have a pilot friend who knos everything.

surely not
20th May 2007, 10:25
Hey guys why are you hitting on Seaman Staynes, I reckon he is spot on in his comments, maybe a tad harsh, but spot on.

Making informed decisions based on weather information is quite an important part of the job of a pilot I would imagine :ugh:

jackbauer
20th May 2007, 11:05
Ah Surely Not, another Brit. Just for everyone's info the British invented the sky, the aircraft and everything we have to be grateful for in aviation. So just bow down to the aviation gentry like a good little serf and stop asking stupid questions.

Sal-e
20th May 2007, 11:20
In this business, there is an unhealthy culture of "knowledge is power" and an unwillingness to impart with it.
Given, Semen Stains, if it were a "checking" environment or the like, then you must retain at the very least a working knowledge of our profession. But this is pprune for crying out loud and Gulfstreamaviator was only asking.
We share information here. B777-300ER did just that, he shared info. You, on the other hand, must be one of those who 'hog' their hard earned knowledge and can't wait to bag those who have even the slightest deficiency.
As for those weather codes, I must say that I wasn't familiar with them either myself of the top of my head. Had I been in front of my laptop as I am now, I would have fired off a similar question with the hope of at least getting a friendly to point me in the right direction.

4HolerPoler
20th May 2007, 11:28
Bin it please guys. The guy got his answer & Staynes is having a bad day.

Move on. And don't get into a nation-bashing tussle. Please.

4HP

fractional
20th May 2007, 11:53
There have been amendments throughout all this time. I don't now if this is the latest version, but I'm sure will help you decipher this stuff safely:http://stoivane.kapsi.fi/metar/

jackbauer
20th May 2007, 18:03
Still having a bad day then!

Spirit
20th May 2007, 18:17
Sorry guys, but I'm with the sailor here: There are enough places in the Route Manual, where you can check up on the codes for RVR-, SNOWTAM- and MOTNE-reports.
Nobody is expecting you to remember everything by heart, especially not if you don't use it daily. You are, however, supposed to know where to find the info required.
Or am I established on the wrong radial here?

Togalk
21st May 2007, 04:52
Give Gulfstream..... a break. The guy asked a question, maybe he doesn't sleep with the jep manual, or route manual or whatever like Seaman Swallower does. He asked a question, it got answered. That should have been the end of it.

Alpha 6
21st May 2007, 07:08
It's just bad weather guys...
weather you like it or not:}

divingduck
21st May 2007, 08:39
Perhaps, at the risk of inflaming passions even further, The Stained seaman has a point, he's just not putting it across in the nicest possible way.

If the information that had been requested was given, but the person providing that information was incorrect, then what? Would the asker forevermore be under a misapprehension, and pass that on to all his trainees and so on down the line?
As a long time gulf ATCO, I see this happen all the time, not just here but also back in Oz.

sorry to intrude...back to work.

Gulfstreamaviator
22nd May 2007, 05:50
We had a base inspection that day, and the METAR was on the wall. The GCAA inspector asked the question, I had already researched the "P/N", and found no reference to "P" in the official ICAO decode resources available. I then referenced the GCAA doscumentation, and they had no reference to "N" either. I was aware of the "U and D".
The inspector, was also surprised by the letter "P", and he does sleep with the manual most nights. (he assured me).

As an aside, how many of us can recite the snowtam, or contaminated runway decodes. ?????, and yes I have a Vol 1 at my bedside, as light reading.

Where you aware that Dxxxx has a meeing too...???

As to SS, I would say that by drawing others attention to the odd "P" I was perhaps adding to the knowledge base of us all.

I use PP as a resource, and I trust other would do so too.

Now I am wiser, and happy..thanks all.

Glf

Straight-In
22nd May 2007, 10:10
Sorry for dragging this on...

But as a TRI I see this kind of problem around here way too often. I don't know why but the 'culture' of training in these parts so often just really checking and chastising trainees for not knowing something.

If people get 'afraid' to ask questions, you create an unsafe learning environment where people will just shut up to avoid looking stupid.

We are all human, and it's impossible to know everything. Asking questions is the human way of gaining knowledge (quicker than looking up) and should always be encouraged. In fact, when trainees ask me questions, it's usually me who benefits the most.

So posting this question here; very approprite. Knowledge that is not shared is useless. (I think somebody important may have said that?)

This METAR question probably increased the MET knowledge of each induvidual who read this thread, so EXCELLENT QUESTION!!

PS I didn't have a clue as to the P and N. Now I know. Thanks for that!:D

divdby0
23rd May 2007, 20:06
R13/P2000N R31/1900D

Runway 13 visibility minimum of more than 2000 meters with no change, Runway 31 minimum visibility of 1900 meters and decreasing.

:ok:

cumulus pajaritus
23rd May 2007, 20:20
Straight-In: :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.met.tamu.edu/class/METAR/metar-pg8-RVR.html