PDA

View Full Version : Links To Civilian Helicopter Market For Those Planning On Leaving Hm Forces

MaroonMan4
20th May 2007, 02:26
As always I have been lurking around the threads that I know nothing about, but attempt to increase my overall aviation knowledge. The 'BA recruiting until the end of May' thread got me thinking.
Many of us in the military rotary world hear about civilian flying jobs through the 'old boy' network or stumble into a conversation where an operator is desperate for quality experienced operators (I will remove the quality in my case and just leave experience :) ).
Where as the fixed wing boys have this link into the BA HR/recruiting system is there a similar system for us 'wobble heads', especially as by all accounts the North Sea, HEMS and VIP world are crying out for pilots that have not just returned from flying training in CAVOK Florida with a CPL on a Robinson 22!
Not only would this assist the civil market as it would have supply of those that had offered an 'expression of interest' to leave the military, but also it will assist those in the military plan their transition to a civilian career. For example there are some military guys that dont want to go to the North Sea, but would love a job with Police/Air Ambulance.
Is there a HEMS/Police/Rigs web site/chat room where us rotary guys can get a true feel for the companies providing the civvie contracts, what the terms and conditions are like and more importantly when the job opportunities are coming up?
What are your thoughts and advice? If I was a military rotary guy looking in 2-4 years to work in a say Police Aviation in a set geographical area of the country is there a more efficient way of putting your name on a company's radar screen/HR pool than just the 'shot gun' approach of random CVs to the companys?

wobble2plank
20th May 2007, 09:14
Went through this same rigmarole some three years ago! At the time there was no 'Generic' website for the helo operators and I was lucky enough to have an old mate of mine fairly high up in CHC Global who could give me the whole skinny.

Sad to say that it does all seem to revolve around who you know and any contacts you can glean! At the moment the chopper world is crying out for pilots, especially experienced twin turbine guys for the HEMS world. The snag comes that there are vast amounts of less experienced guys who also want these jobs and are prepared to accepted occasionally appalling wages to get the turbine time. This short sighted attitude has led to a severe crumbling of the T's & C's in the helo world.

Even the BA RAFCARS scheme only gets you to interview, but once again having a mate already in the company to give you the inside track on what the guys really think is a huge benefit.

Perhaps a thread needs to be started or even a 'military' logged website with these company details, fixed or rotary. Just a thought!

Good luck.

P.s. If I'd known civvie flying was this easy and unstressed, I'd have done it years ago!

p.p.s At the moment the main guys at PAS/Met Police and Star Speed are all ex FAA I believe. Might be worth knowing!
:E

A and C
20th May 2007, 18:03
The Forces have a cheap route to fixed wing jobs, the RAF has a number of flying clubs offering cheap flying for ALL service personel.

A lot of rotary wing guys are getting the fixed wing time at flying clubs, I can think of at least two ex-crewmen who are now at the sharp end of jet airliners.

The requirment in terms of hours is to top your fixed wing time up to 150 hours (all your service fixed wing time counts) and then you can take the EASA exams and flight test.

Rotary jobs don't usualy pay as well as the airlines but I should think that civil SAR or air ambulance would be very rewarding in other ways.

What Limits
20th May 2007, 18:21
The market changes every day. Currently there are vacancies in the Police/HEMS world and the Offshore Sector are still 'sucking' pilots out of all sectors to fill their well paid positions.

If you are seeking a job anywhere, as usual its not what you know, its who you know. Remember the person you pi55ed off a few years ago? Well they are now the Chief Pilot of the company you want to work for.

If you were a complete twot when you were in the services, people remember!

If you have the experiences and want a settled lifestyle with a predictable roster and actually going out and acheiving something, come and join us in the emergency services sector. Ultimately its about you going out and getting a job, they do not come to you.