PDA

View Full Version : Is South Africa changing to JAA and when is this going to happen

herschel mcleod
19th May 2007, 16:35
for the last few months i have being hearing that the South Africa is changing to the JAA system is this true and if it is then when is this goingto happen i have called the CAA and they hav no idear :confused: so can anyone help me with some information on this

south coast
19th May 2007, 16:59
If you have called the CAA and they dont know anything about it, what do you expect to hear from a rumour network?

The way things are run over there, not in the near future.

square leg
19th May 2007, 21:03
According to the CAA the JAR syllabus (or JAR-similar syllabus) will be implemented at some stage. Obviously pilots and whoever else needs notification will be notified in due course. But for those living abroad, it helps to check pprune once in a while to see what's happening in SA.

There'll be a transition period (where pilots etc are notified) and then after that period on a set date the new syllabus will be implemented. Initially they spoke about 1 June, but that won't be the case (to start the transition period).

What does this mean to pilots in general? Well all I can say is that if you have outstanding (remaining) subjects to write, it's best to write them asap, before the new rules come into effect. Under the new rules you'll write 12 ATP subjects (old rules - 7 subjects). Additionally it is my understanding that you'll also have to have ground school under the new rules, not just self-study.

Please take this as a heads-up and not as the Truth. Hopefully it will take them a while to implement. Anybody with better info, please post it. Thanks.

south coast
19th May 2007, 21:22
there are 14 theory exams to start with.

unstable load
19th May 2007, 22:05
Herschel,
Certain parts of the CAA don't have the necessary qualifications and ability to run the current set-up, how can we hope that they will be able to evolve to JAA parity?? :ugh:

No in our lifetimes, I think.:sad:

s2h
20th May 2007, 13:52
What about those with an SA ATPL license already, will that get "converted/validated?"
And how many SA Pilots have European passports, that will up and go to Europe, could open up a bit of work in SA!!!
Interesting thread, let's see if we can get genuine info from CAA(unlikely).:ugh:

Q4NVS
21st May 2007, 08:21
CATS 61.07

ATPL (A) = Nine Subjects

Some other changes:

An applicant for the issuing of an SA ATPL (A), amongst others must have a minimum of 500 hrs Flying Experience in a Multi-Crew FAR Part 25 Type aircraft.

Contract Dog
21st May 2007, 08:28
I stand to be corrected but is the 1900D not certified FAR part 25? and the C is part 23????

Dog

B200Drvr
21st May 2007, 08:46
If you guys think for one minute that a certificate (license) done under the current SACAA, whether on the current system or the "near" future JAA system will be fully JAA compliant, and accepted as such, allowing you to work in JAA member states, you are suffereing from some serious dillusions. The SACAA is in such a mess at this point in time with regards its upcomming ICAO audit, I will be supprised if we are allowed to fly outside our own boarders soon!!!!
If you dont believe me, go to CAA with an open mind and ask some questions. See if the answers that you get sound feasable, or see if you can get the same answer from two different people.