PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Universities in the UK, England

Emkay
19th May 2007, 15:16
I am currently living in London at the age of 15, I have a great interest in aviation and expect to get good grades at GCSE from A*- B (hopefully no Cs!). I also go to a Grammar school specialized in Technology and Languages.

Anyway I am planning to take Physics, Maths, Electronics, Chemistry and ICT at A level for 6th form but after that I have no plans yet on what to do. My parents want me to go to some university, but I don't know which university to go to or whether I should go to a university. I am well capable academically (so say my teachers) so hopefully I can stand out among the applicants?

Anyway what universities do you guys recommend inside England, or preferably near London? It would be greatly appreciated. I have also heard about the Brunel university, is that good?

Emkay
19th May 2007, 17:19
Thanks very much for the link, it really helped. I have two potential universities now :D Any more?

CapCon
19th May 2007, 18:20
Hi there,

I've just finished my second year at London Met doing a three year BSc degree in Aviation Management. Personally, I think it's a great course and the university's Civil Aviation Department has good links within the industry and has a residential ATPL groundschool course.

The course is pretty good, I've just done the IMC ground theory as a module, which also counts should I wish to get the full rating.

Of course I would recommend London Met but there are a couple of other unis with aviation courses: London City and Leeds spring to mind.

Good luck

CapCon

TTango
19th May 2007, 18:48
I'm just about to graduate from the Aviation Technology with Pilot Studies (BSc) course at Leeds Uni. I've had a great time there and would recommend it. Leeds is a great city to study in; the social side of University life is here is second to none!

I think the course is well balanced, a fair chunk of the ATPL syllabus is covered but there are plenty of other science based background modules. You also do your PPL flight training as part of the syllabus.

PM me if you have any questions regarding the course :ok:

Emkay
19th May 2007, 19:39
To CapCon
Thanks a lot for your recommendation, I will check it out :)

TTango, thanks a lot for your recommendation too but I think Leeds is a little too far away from me as I live in London and don't want to have to move too far away :)

stick&rudder
19th May 2007, 20:13
If you're interested in Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering, I can thoroughly recommend Bristol - one of the best courses of its type in the country, fantastic city, lots of pretty girls (not that that should be any sort of motivation you understand). For the same subject southampton, imperial, loughborough, bath, manchester and queens in belfast are all good.

preduk
19th May 2007, 21:16
Glasgow University do Aero Engineering, they are one of the top Universities in the country.

stick&rudder
19th May 2007, 22:16
preduk, apologies, thought i'd forgotten one!

Emkay
19th May 2007, 22:44
Thanks for your recommendations, but I am preferably looking for universities within England only, preferably near or outside London :)

jabouba
9th Oct 2007, 10:04
hello buddies i am haad i wanted to now if there is in ondon universities specialized in aviation

G-DANM
9th Oct 2007, 12:08
Emkay,

As far as the aviation industry is concerned the best course in the country is Air Transport Management at Loughborough University. Why?

First off it won't teach you to fly, which means it is not some mickey mouse course from places such as Leeds, London Met etc. You just have to look at where the course graduates are to see how well regarded it is. The department has been around for thirty years so is well established. You will leave with a proper transferable management degree from the 6th Best University in the country.

It is taught by the highly regarded Transport Studies Department at the university, with all the lecturers involved in current consultancy for major airlines and airports.

In your third year you go on placement working for a transport company such as BAA, Manchester Airport, DHL, Rolls Royce etc, about 40% of people are offered a graduate job by their placement company. It is great for networking!!

The department is well connected. I am in my final year and already we are starting to get emails from companies who want Loughborough Graduates.

Loughborough University was voted 1st for student satisfaction in 2006.

Plus it is 40 minutes on the train from St Pancras station!

XL319
9th Oct 2007, 17:29
Do you really need a degree to be a pilot?

I personally think it's a waste of time, money and resources!!!

Just focus on ATPL exams

Groundloop
10th Oct 2007, 11:25
XL319, he doesn't actually say he wants to be a pilot!

London City and Leeds spring to mind.

It's not London City, it is City University (no London in the title).

As far as the aviation industry is concerned the best course in the country is Air Transport Management at Loughborough University.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion - but that is a bit strong! After all, the "aviation industry" is very big and covers a lot of different careers. If you were to include Aeronautical Engineering then there are numerous universities in the UK that make Loughborough's ATM degree look like kid's stuff.

747 forever
22nd Nov 2010, 11:18
Hey dude you should try Embry riddle. I hear it is the most successful university to go to for aviation. Every pilots, airlines etc know the name and is useful when getting a job. Check out its site however it is in florida but I really recommend it!

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Nov 2010, 16:39
Hey dude you should try Embry riddle. I hear it is the most successful university to go to for aviation. Every pilots, airlines etc know the name and is useful when getting a job. Check out its site however it is in florida but I really recommend it!

Thread necromancy is all very well, but...

(1) Looking at the date of his post, I suspect he's nearly graduated by now!

(2) Embry Riddle is nowhere near London!

G

Higher Archie
22nd Nov 2010, 18:28
Some thoughts.

Depends if you want engineering or management. If engineering then Imperial, Manchester, Southampton or Bath. If management, then Loughbrough. None of them will teach you to fly, just to make or fix things or to manage people and planes.

But there's good MSc programmes if you get a good degree, at Loughbrough, Westminster and at Cranfield. My recommendation would be Cranfield for either Air Transport Engineering or Air Transport Management. Cranfield's got it's own airfield and aircraft, along with a great reputation in the industry. They understand that if you want to work in aviation, you've got to know what flying's all about. Also it's 45mins from somewhere called London.

It worked for me. Good luck!

Archie

mat777
22nd Nov 2010, 23:24
Hi there. If you want to do something aviation related, then you could do a lot worse than the University of Bristol!

crystal_lucia
29th Sep 2013, 06:31
Hi Ttango,

I am Crystal, I saw in one of your comments and notice that you graduate from the Aviation Program at Leeds Uni. My brother is currently applying for Leeds, and he wanted to be a pilot. Just want to ask you about what do you think about the program,does it help for the career? and was it really hard to get into Leeds?

Thankyou so much.

Best regards
Crystal.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Sep 2013, 12:40
Holy thread resurrection Batman !

Anyhow, Leeds is easy to get in, in Asia a degree like theirs is probably of value but I'm less sure I'd recommend it to a European where basic university accredited degrees like the Leeds one are neither fish nor fowl - unnecessary to get a pilot job, and not rigorous enough to get an aeronautical engineering job.

G

rogerg
29th Sep 2013, 12:53
I always thought that Cranfield was the place to go.

PPRuNeUser0173
29th Sep 2013, 15:17
Try Kingston Uni......

StOrMsCaTcHeR
29th Sep 2013, 19:01
This might be worth a look, as they offer undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes with the option of Commercial Pilot Training.