PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

A2QFI
19th May 2007, 12:58
Good Afternoon, I have just bought a laptop running Vista Home Premium. Yesterday I tried to set up an AOL supplied wireless network to get it on line with broadband (Netgear router, ADSL filters, Ethernet cable etc). It all sets up OK but then I am told that the wireless element of the lap top cannot be detected by the router. The AOL helpline (in the 3rd World somewhere by the accent) told me that AOL was incompatible with Wireless networks from computers running Vista. I thought a wireless conection was just that and what system one was running was not relevant Until I can get it on a network I am stuck with dial up which is soooooooooooo slow!

Keef
19th May 2007, 13:25
My experience with AOL (not in my own home) is that it's pretty incompatible with most things.

However, the wireless kit in your new machine either can, or cannot, connect to the wireless access point. That in turn either can or cannot connect to your router.

Try the "who am I?" test:

Open a Command window (used to be called a DOS window) - with XP, you click start-run- and type CMD <enter>. I've not used (and will not use) Vista.

In that command window, type ipconfig /all

That will respond with a stream of information, amongst which should be "IP Address". If you have one that looks something like 192.168.x.y or 10.0.0.n then you are connected to the WAP and probably also to the router. If there is no IP address, then you aren't connected.

I take it your router has no wireless facility built in?

slim_slag
19th May 2007, 13:45
Can you connect to the Internet using the cable that came with the router? If you can, I'd remove all AOL software from your machine and reboot then try again using the wireless. Should 'just work'. If it doesn't, then you need to reconnect using the cable, then configure your router. Help to do that is all over the net.

The goal is to get rid of all AOL software on your machine. It is one of the biggest pieces of junk ever written. AOL as a broadband provider is fine, but you need to get rid of their software.

Now, have I said that enough?

A2QFI
19th May 2007, 14:38
SS. Many thanks for your input! I have only ever used AOL (7 Years) and I really can't get my head round changing it - it is OK for what I do. I can't connect the lap top thru my Voyager 105 ADSL modem, and Windows Vista will not accept the drivers for it, they are only for XP, which is what I have on my desktop computer.
Keef, Vista is what I have on my laptop and I can't change it. The lap top has a wi-fi facility but the router (Netgear box) does not recognise it, at the moment. Thank you both.

Keef
19th May 2007, 15:12
OK: let's see what can be done.

Do we know yet whether the problem is the Vista machine not "seeing" a working wireless access point, or the wireless access point not working, or the wireless access point working but not "seeing" the router (and through it the internet).

First, are you sure the wireless access point is connected to the router and working? Do you have any other wireless device that can "look for" it? Can that wireless device get a DHCP address from it? [You'll probably want to secure it later, but let's get it working first.]

If you can't "see" the wireless access point from another wireless device, do you have a PC that can connect direct (wired) to the router? If so, use that to see if the wireless access point is recognised by the router. It should have its own DHCP address that the router will know (or the instruction manual will tell you what it is).

With the answer to those questions, we can move on to the next stage of diagnosis.

A2QFI
19th May 2007, 16:58
Thanks again, I haven't looked at my compter for 36 hours as I am now on night shifts. My recollection is that the laptop gave me a message saying that the router could not find the laptop's wireless signal/function. I had initially set it up with the ethernet cable connected to the laptop, while things were sychronised and sorted. Instructions then said disconnect the ethernet cable and you will be on wireless, but I am not! I can't get back into this until Monday so please don't rush to help. I am got a lot to try thanks to your suggestions to date but I can't do anything, right now, to try them out! I do recall that when I pressed a tiny button with a radio symbol on it I got no green light, indicating that it was working, which is maybe why the router can't detect it. Weeks ago I pressed it and I was offered options for connecting to a network but as the router was still in the box there was no network!

Lost_luggage34
19th May 2007, 17:10
There are no VISTA drivers for the AOL supplied BT Voyager 105 modem.

Solution - go wireless.

Netgear wireless should work fine with VISTA.

seekayess
19th May 2007, 17:54
I've not used (and will not use) Vista.

That is ever so smart!!

Have been saying for a while: Dump these redundant OSs and quickly SWITCH to OSX!! :}

A2QFI
19th May 2007, 20:35
Thanks LL34 for that but my problem is that I can't go wireless because, it appears, that my AOL/Vista lap top will not communicate with my Netgear Router (see above discussion!). I'll crack it on Monday - if I am lucky!

parabellum
20th May 2007, 05:57
Have to agree, leave Vista alone if you can. Bought new computer, 2gb RAM, dual core 6600 processor, did the upgrade from XP, (via Dell who provided a 'help'disc). Most software had to be uninstalled and reinstalled, some worked but a lot "ïncompatible", then pages from the web showed up blank apart from a heading, emails had no text , programmes refused to work.

Tried twice to do 'restore', no luck, failed both times went to Norton Ghost and tried to restore to a previous back-up, blue screen, "Windows has been shut down to protect your computer"

Tried to bootup from upgrade disc, only option was a clean install with all previous on disc going to a Windows.old file. Afterwards nothing worked except IE7, any other programme like Outlook, clock, weather etc requiring internet access no chance.

Before I loaded Vista I copied my entire C disc to another part of the HDD, (E), am hoping to be able to restore this to C, trouble is how do I format C and will the transfer work as Norton Ghost has become Norton Save and Restore with Vista. Would appreciate any thoughts before I unplug everything and head off down the road for some $88 per hour help!:{

planecrazy.eu
20th May 2007, 21:13
I had issues with the normal AOL disk, but i rang em, complained and they sent out a AOL VR "Vista Ready" disk in the post and gave me a month free, cant moan at that...

Vista has only one limitation for me, and thats because i do alot of design and colour work and my NVIDIA graphics card has limited tweaking options under vista. Because i have a laptop and the screens are lower quality that a standard desktop in most cases i need to tweak the hell out the colour to get it where it should be... And digital vibrance is one setting i cant find on vista which i need =(

But, vista run and works fine, i loose all of 4 frames per second on FSX, no worries as its still about 40

Mac the Knife
20th May 2007, 22:03
"Vista has only one limitation.......<snip>......no worries as its still about 40"

So planecrazy you're happy with an OS that gives you worse performance and fewer options than you had before?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

[scratches head in puzzlement]

:confused: