PDA

View Full Version : Isolated business/first suites and toddlers

chornedsnorkack
19th May 2007, 10:24
Some business and first classes have massive barriers around every seat, even the seat across aisle is pretty far away. Like Virgin upper class.

Who is supposed to put the oxygen mask on a 2 year old (too old to travel as lap child) occupying such a seat? Any accompanying adult is far away!

limerick
19th May 2007, 10:27
The nanny? :}

I reckon it's all about discouraging young children to fly at the front of the plane.

christep
20th May 2007, 15:10
I am told that some airlines refuse to accept passengers in these seats below a certain age/height.

CX certainly has told me that for their new business class and they said that the rule applied to all others with the "cubicle" type seating arrangement.

warkman
20th May 2007, 16:09
there is no problem with Virgins UC suites. Our five year old has flown in those many times. We do however, go for seats ath the very front where they are closer together, but you can lean over the partition with no problem whatsoever.

PAXboy
20th May 2007, 16:16
If you are planning to travel with a small person in one of these podded seats, then best to write to customer service before booking.

manintheback
21st May 2007, 07:47
Believe me, travelling long haul with a 2 year old - the masks are going to be the least of your problems......

Rush2112
22nd May 2007, 03:56
Yep, leave them with the nanny in the back to do it :LOL:

warkman
22nd May 2007, 07:38
Or just leave them in the back on their own and check on them ever 30 mins or so when you are having your meal.....:suspect::suspect:

PAXboy
22nd May 2007, 10:15
[Thread drift]
This reminds me of a trip on JNB~LHR with VS about five or six years ago, so this was the old J2000 'cradle' type seats before Pods became the fashion.

I noticed that a couple had arranged that they were in the back row of Upper and their two children in the front row of Pre Econy (on the same side of the a/c of course). The children looked to be about 5 + 7. This meant that the parents could get some time on their own and did not have to pay for BIG seats for SMALL people. Doubtless the children were encouraged to be 'grown up' in their cabin.

The children were very well behaved and did not bother other folks. On this trip, I was in PE a couple of rows behind the children. The CC were happy for the children to pop through the curtain as they were quiet.

However, at that time, the console games and video selection in Upper was much better than in PE and, by half way through the trip, I saw that the children were sitting in the UC seats playing the games and the parents were trying to sleep in the PE seats. :}

MrBernoulli
23rd May 2007, 15:32
Children in First and Business class? Can be VERY annoying. Nobody pays premium prices and expects to be bothered by some of the noisy disruptive little ***** and their dozy parents .... but it happens. Cargo hold for them I reckon!

warkman
23rd May 2007, 15:49
Quote; "Children in First and Business class? Can be VERY annoying. Nobody pays premium prices and expects to be bothered by some of the noisy disruptive little ***** and their dozy parents .... but it happens. Cargo hold for them I reckon!"/Quote

What a complete and utter twit (replace i with a) you are!
Typical comment from someone who does not have the sperm to produce children I reckon. If you do have children God help them!
Let me explain something to you, thicky.
I pay premium prices, I also pay premium prices for my son. He has as much entitlement to fly premier as you, probably more, as I pay for these tickets myself.
What is more annoying is people that I would imagine is the catergory you fit into, who think its big and clever to drink themselves silly on the flight, be loud and obnoxious to the crew and get the company to pay for your ticket.

No longer ATC
23rd May 2007, 16:42
Hear Hear Warkman !! My children fly up front several times a year and wouldn't dare be other then immaculately behaved. They are well aware of the consequences ! The last flight they were in 5E/F in BA and an American chap complimented me on their behaviour on the way off the acft. Its' all about respect...in my humble opinion. Respect for other peoples space and peace . Having said that, I have seen children behave appallingly in the Premium cabins and the parents do nothing, or expect cabin crew to chastise them....between you and me (and the several thousand lurkers) I was driven to take matters into my own hands on a flt from MRU on Christmas day 2 years ago..the little "angels" were fighting with each and other and doing that horrible high pitched squeal thing that only little kids do-every 30seconds. Parents were (pretending?) asleep, cabin crew absent so I had a "quiet " word with them..along the lines of "Shut up or I'll put your head through that 'effing wall." Seemed to do the trick...almost a round of applause from the rest of the J cabin....

strake
23rd May 2007, 18:37
Sorry, Mr Bernoulli but you can't win this one...

If you fly public transport, even £7000 return public transport, expect to meet....... "members of the public" in all their forms.

Pay about 10 times more and you'll get exactly the service you require....

Rush2112
24th May 2007, 05:56
If all parents were like the two posters taking umbrage at Mr B's remarks then yes, he would be bang out of order. Sadly, many parents do not seem to care about the noise and behaviour of their offspring - I don't blame the kids, it's the parents who are to blame.

When the kids are quiet, well behaved, they can sit wherever their parents' company can afford to put them. It's the yammering yowling noisy little beggars I cannot take.

It takes more than sperm to have children, needs brains as well, something sadly lacking in the modern breed of parent.

chornedsnorkack
24th May 2007, 13:10
What about the middle seats in Club World on a 8 abreast 747 or 777? There are massive privacy barriers around the two backfacing seats, but little separation between them... ideal to sleep with someone undisturbed by others...

warkman
25th May 2007, 09:33
No, I fully agree with what you say Rush2112, I am nor saying that all children are well behaved and we have all seen the children of middle/Upper Class parents acting worse than the chav on the street corner, my objection was the geberalization that all children should be banned. I would go ballistic if my five year old played up, whether he was in First, Buisness or even economy. Parents ahve to teach their children manner and how to act in public.

Howevre, we have all I am sure seen so-called "adults" acting worse than children in First/UC!!