PDA

View Full Version : DRC CAA Bribes

RSQ
18th May 2007, 12:43
How many of you have had the experience of being shaken down by CAA officials in Kinshasa for bribes when you land there?
We had an aircraft land there today and these boys went through everything with a fine tooth comb.
Finding nothing, they resorted to grounding the aircraft because the crew licences had H25B as type ratings and they wanted HS25 for type ratings. They then confiscated passports and licences and held up departure by three hours. We are having a hard look at simply scratching the DRC oof our maps overflying sans clearances, and not going there again. How the hell else do you teach these snot nosed savages a lesson? In the past, other crews have simply paid up to $600 to these same two fuzznuts, but we refuse to pay bribes, period!:ugh:

MungoP
18th May 2007, 13:05
Like just about all of the DRCs Civil Servants, inc Police etc... salaries are almost never forthcoming.... money is made by intimidating those they believe they have authority over... On one occasion during a CAA 3 monthly ops check they looked at my US ATPL and claimed it was invalid as it didn't have a photograph on it...On being told that it didn't require one they leafed through a folder to find a photocopy of the new 'credit-card' style licence which shows a styleised depiction of the Wright Bros ... I had to convince them that I hadn't been around for that flight :rolleyes: On another occasion they nabbed one of our guys for not having signed his licence and tried to fine him $500... I think they got it down to about $300 eventually... The list goes on.. In short ..unless you are absolutely compelled to visit the DRC just don't go there... 2 miles away is Brazzaville.. much more organised and the people way more pleasant to deal with...or route via Bangui ( CAR )...even better... Anywhere but the DRC...

RSQ
18th May 2007, 13:28
Anybody hear the latest goings on at Foggy Bottom? They now need to (according to the CAA themselves) push through Part 61 with all its flaws to keep on track for the upcoming ICAO inspection. In the light of all the other problems they have, I have my doubts that they will pass in any event.
However, that said, it would be somewhat embarrassing for ICAO to fail a formerly competant authority, so I am reasonably sure they will get a "pass with limitations and opportunity to correct shortcomings". Let's see how ICAO handle a political hot potato!
The CAA has been on a recruitment drive of late to contract in the experienced people as mandated by ICAO needed to fill certain posts. I wonder how long those experienced pale males will be around once ICAO and the FAA disappear over the horizon?
But, back to Part 61, - with regard to the DE stuff - totally unworkable, that even a five year old could see, but CAA says, we should have complained, and now we have to live with it. Talk about short sighted! - OK boys, we have picked up a problem, we know its going to be a stuff up, but lets "kyk noord" anyway, cause we need it, and its too late now. Want to bet they will be issuing exemptions up the ying yang when the time comes?
Or maybe some bright spark will get his lawyer to interdict the legislation, then what?
Just some thoughts, use them,.... don't use them.

CJ750
19th May 2007, 11:16
This has been going on for a long time in the drc. It costs you US150.00 for them to inspect your documents. They look for everything from aircraft documents to noise certificates and if you are on a charter then they want a copy of the operating licence as well. If they cannot find anything wrong then they want to see your logbook and claim it is DRC law to have your logbook with you. They will try anything so have each and any document with you these days as it will cost you BIG BUCKS.

IT STILL STAYS A :mad: PLACE TO GO TO.

HOW IS THE GENERAL AVIATION PARKING AT KINSHASA..........FUN.