PDA

View Full Version : AN-2? Down in DRC?

TheShadow
18th May 2007, 12:36
Cargo plane crashes in DRC

18 May 2007
GOMA, DRCongo - Three people have been killed when their light cargo plane caught fire after take-off in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo and crashed.
"All three on board died," said Selemani Lumoo, an official of the Safe Air Company. He said the pilot was Russian and the two others were Congolese.
He said a witness told him that the plane caught fire just after taking off from the eastern town of Walikale and crashed into a nearby forest.

Istorik
20th May 2007, 12:05
It is the L-410
http://www.monuc.org/news.aspx?newsID=14597

LittleMo
21st May 2007, 10:37
So Wali has claimed another. 700m road, wide enough to have a meter or so on each side with about 5m clearance off each wing. What a picnic. The guys are always are always overloading out of there too. Seems it's the culture up there though. The more KG the more $ Yevgeny gets to take back to Mocow. Last time it was also a L410. Not sure about the LET but they used to ask us to take 2000kg plus 3 pax out at a time in a similar a/c...madness. Never did it though.

Not ure of how to post pics but have some photos of the place.

I.R.PIRATE
21st May 2007, 13:12
Doesnt sound like Walikale's runway had anything to do with the crash. Catching fire while taking off could happen anywhere no?

LittleMo
21st May 2007, 16:35
I.R, you're right, could happen at FAJS if you caught on fire! Chances are though it had to do with the :mad: guys haul in and out of Wali. Not talking bout the rocks but the drums of petrol/diesel, lead acid batteries and other dogey stuff these guys just chuck in the back for a few $$.We once saw a LET going in there with drums of Diesel and detonators for the mine there in the same load...:ugh:

I.R.PIRATE
22nd May 2007, 06:35
gotta keep it interesting...:E

BUSHJEPPY
24th May 2007, 08:42
Anybody out there with the registration of the aircraft ????

Istorik
24th May 2007, 12:43
A good question.
I would want to know it as well.

BUSHJEPPY
24th May 2007, 18:41
TN-AHM

Congo Brazzaville, TAC is a LET operator...