PDA

View Full Version : Dress Regs - Stable Belt

Ops_Monkey
18th May 2007, 12:16
Hello

Does anybody know the exact configuration of how the good old staple belt should be worn..?

Blue band facing up or claret..?
Does the metal buckle have to be in line with the shirt buttons..?

With so many people wearing them these days, which is the correct way..?

AP1358 says very little..

Your help is much appreciated :}

airborne_artist
18th May 2007, 12:17
The first thing to know is the correct term for the item.

It is a stable belt, though I suppose you could wear it when doing office work :E

I guess compulsory equitation lessons for officers has stopped, then?

Len Ganley
18th May 2007, 12:18
I think the dark blue bit goes at the top

Safety_Helmut
18th May 2007, 12:19
Does anybody know the exact configuration of how the good old staple belt should be worn..?
Look up how to wear a stable belt, perhaps it's similar to how you would wear a staple belt

S_H:ok:

Ops_Monkey
18th May 2007, 12:22
oops typo :ouch:

lets try again..

does anyone know the correct way, AP1358 is very vague on the Stable Belt

:mad: keyboard :ugh:

samuraimatt
18th May 2007, 12:25
Hello

Does anybody know the exact configuration of how the good old short sleeved should be worn..?

buttoned to the top. With or without a tie..?
Do the buttons have to be in line with the staple belt..?

With so many people wearing them these days, which is the correct way..?

AP1358 says very little..

Your help is much appreciated :ugh:

Ops_Monkey
18th May 2007, 12:28
cock :rolleyes:

Ext 6214 obviously gets you through to Flt Lt Helmut Cheese

Kitbag
18th May 2007, 12:43
The book (para 0218) says the buckles are to be on the left hip of the wearer. Pretty clear I thought. There is no mention of the silver bit.

Also, an exciting bit of news is that a new style, similar to that worn by RAF regt will be available soon. It has the bird (have never seen a definitive answer about the species) on the central portion and 'Royal Air Force' on the circular hasp. Presumably this will make it easy for the wearer to put it on correctly.

BDiONU
18th May 2007, 12:46
The book says the buckles are to be on the left hip of the wearer. There is no mention of the silver bit.
I was always taught that the male is always right. The male part of the belt is on the wearers right side.

BD

samuraimatt
18th May 2007, 12:50
Presumably this will make it easy for the wearer to put it on correctly.

I am sure there will still be some chisler who needs advice on dressing themselves in the morning, who asks on this forum.:ok:

Contacttower
18th May 2007, 12:58
My understanding is that the buckles should go on the left hip, the blue stipe of the belt should be on the top half and it doesn't really matter where the silver bit is (although it is usually at the front rather than back)

Kitbag
18th May 2007, 13:00
Beady one, the current pattern of stable belt is secured by two leather straps (ooh er missus ;)). One wonders if that is why they most often appear to be worn by officers & scribblys:}

Safety_Helmut
18th May 2007, 13:24
It doesn't really matter which way round/up you wear it, you'll still look a complete and utter pretentios c0ck !

Went to one of those AMP briefings many years ago, where it was announced that funding had been secured to supply one to all airmen. You had to be there to fully undertsand the enthusiasm that announcement was greeted with.

S_H

BDiONU
18th May 2007, 13:28
Beady one, the current pattern of stable belt is secured by two leather straps (ooh er missus ;)).
When I was in (this was when PMC was just a briefcase ;) ) it had two leather straps (the male part) which fitted into two loops (female, hope you're keeping up) with a pin through the holes on the leather straps. Just like a proper belt which had a use, like holding up your trousers.

BD

Kitbag
18th May 2007, 13:31
Thats it, they haven't changed yet. I couldn't disagree with you as to which side the male and female bits are on as I don't possess one (for likely reasons see my last post:ok:)

Roadster280
18th May 2007, 13:31
Have the Royal Air Force managed to issue trousers where the belt actually fits inside the belt loops yet? Or is it still like a woman's fashion belt?

Kitbag
18th May 2007, 13:33
R280, there is nothing remotely fashionable about any part of the RAF uniform :p

Kengineer-130
18th May 2007, 13:35
I fail somewhat to see the link to AVIATION anywhere here? :ugh: if you wear a silly belt you need a good kicking and to be told to stop being such a homo := :}

Release-Authorised
18th May 2007, 14:12
I other words - "Belt Up".

SirPercyWare-Armitag
18th May 2007, 14:13
"I fail somewhat to see the link to AVIATION anywhere here"

Unless you throw the aforementioned belt out of the window. Silver buckle front and centre. Leather clasps on the left hip. Ideal accessory for fatties. Acts as corset. Ideal for annoying RAF Regt if worn: a) with combats and b) over the top of a woolly pully. Not in Dress Regs because not an official item of uniform. Private purchase only. God Save the Queen

Maple 01
18th May 2007, 14:14
Oh contraire my engineer chum, there is a very serious side to wearing a stablebelt, in combats with chiphat when on good old GDT, seriously used to piss off the Rocks, also a greatcoat on a cold winter's morn frequently helped the SWO bump start his shouty muscles - but it's issue sir.......happy days with a copy of the dress regs, we had to make our own fun them......etc

Edited to add 'bu@@er, Sir Percy beat me to the Reg bateing angle'

ElTeneleven
18th May 2007, 14:30
With flying suit! Oh No, Oh dear!

Archimedes
18th May 2007, 14:31
To add an aviation angle to this, CDS's manner of wearing a stable belt has exicted comment over on t'army means:

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/6C3F1137-27F5-4A13-8AC1-BBA3623824A6/0/HQMNDSE2007071023.jpg

Not least since it appears to be an RM stable belt...

Kitbag
18th May 2007, 14:35
Not in Dress Regs because not an official item of uniform

But Perce, it is in the dress regs, it can be worn as Barrack dress with CS95 and it still looks silly on fatties:ok:

Pontius Navigator
18th May 2007, 14:41
OK, which way up. Blue Sky UP, Blood Red DOWN, OK.

Where do you fasten it? On the hip. Where does the buckle go? Dead centre on the stomach.

This of course only holds good for racing snakes when they buy their first belt and not slothful pythons where the buckle ends up adjacent to the straps :).

I also believe the stable belt is part of the No 2A dress, ie SD Hat, shirt sleeves down, and stable belt.

Certainly the stable belt was 'ordered' to be worn with KD.

Other than that, the belt loops were a nonsense. Even if you got big loops and buttons on them, by the time you unbuckled the belt, undid the buttons, got your trousers round your ankles, you would probably be too late for the :mad: you set out for.:)

Elanman
18th May 2007, 14:42
But at least CDS' belt matches his beret.

plans123
18th May 2007, 14:44
And here's a link to a picture of one, for you all to :yuk: over

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6213&highlight=stable+belt

Nice....... :yuk:

Pontius Navigator
18th May 2007, 14:49
Problem with that buckle, it is the old style RAF Logo. No shiney new roundel, no sloping A or Y for Royal Air Force

Ops_Monkey
18th May 2007, 14:58
Kengineer-130 - I fail somewhat to see the link to AVIATION anywhere here?

How about then, if the staff in ops look like a bag o'shat, less time will be spent on supporting flying operations and more time on dress lecturing, not everyone gets to wear a greasy overall :suspect:

Ops_Monkey
18th May 2007, 15:09
Holy crap..............:rolleyes: Maybe you should have a visit from Elton and David. Maybe they could advise you on how to lick the balls as well as suck on cock at the same time.:ugh:

samuraimatt
18th May 2007, 15:10
Whoops I think this thread is closing soon.

Maxibon
18th May 2007, 15:45
Speaking as someone who has worn both light blue and brown - to wear a stable belt with CS95 is the sign of the the biggest homma ever. CS95, or desert is that colour for a reason, not for some wanky belt to be worn over. Keep the sb for barrack dress, or risk looking like some RLC/R Sigs/RE/REME (delete as applicable) REMF. And whilst we're at it - burn the fekking TRFs - they're just as bad, if not worse. Sorry - rant over:D

Pontius Navigator
18th May 2007, 15:56
Mind you, being so wide, they can be used by the corpulent as a corset :}

ZH875
18th May 2007, 17:50
TRF's are only there because the average Grunt cannot read 'Royal Air Force'...:p

toddbabe
18th May 2007, 18:22
I for the life of me can't understand why anyone would want to wear one let alone have to pay for it as well! saddo's

stickmonkeytamer
18th May 2007, 18:27
Is it meant to be worn with a flying suit? Could keep the AT fleet looking slimmer...

SMT

airborne_artist
18th May 2007, 18:29
Is it meant to be worn with a flying suit? Could keep the AT fleet looking slimmer...

It could have a small pocket sewn on the inside to keep the corporate BarclayCard in ;)

RETDPI
18th May 2007, 18:32
This particular bit of buffoonery really came in during the early 70's when the Rock Apes' star was in the ascendant.
As with the Engineers and other power brokers their day has passed.
Stop trying to be second rate pongoes and bin the silly thing.

SirToppamHat
18th May 2007, 18:44
Blue for the sky, red for hell!

STH

ZH875
18th May 2007, 18:48
It could have a small pocket sewn on the inside to keep the corporate BarclayCard in ;)

Coprorate Barclaycard, Now that was a useful thing, sadly it has been replaced by the more stringent Government Procurement Card (GPC)

Can I buy stuff I need for work on a GPC, Yes, but I have to get permission from two different people if I need CD Roms and the Pens to write on them, BEFORE I am allowed to buy them. Then expect a snotty email from Daws Hill 'Why did you buy xxxx'. :ugh:

BEagle
18th May 2007, 19:03
Lightweight No.2 trousers with tailored belt loops and RAF stable belt
+
Longsleeve wedgewood blue shirt and black tie (or 'Jag mate' tie) with pre-Single List RAFC Cranwell cufflinks
+
highly polished flying boots
+
Aircrew leather jacket with squadron name tag.
+
SD Cap
+
Breitling Aerospace

Looks good, shows the Untermensch who didn't work hard enough at school that you can afford to be an individual. Also pi$$es off the working class (such as whatever a SWO is called nowadays), scribblies, oily-fingered maintenance androids and all other low life whose sole existence is to keep the two-winged master race in the sky!

Perfect.

Some of the above may be tongue-in-cheek. Some, that is.....:p

The Helpful Stacker
18th May 2007, 19:08
Stable belts do have a use. They are an indicator of who is a back-stabbing, career making ar$e kisser which enables the rest of us who wish to just get on with what we are paid to do to easily spot and avoid them.

The full house of additional garb worn by the most desperate of these cretins (at least in OR circles) is, chip hat, stable belt, clippy cloppy oxford shoes, a tie pin featuring an aircraft of some sort (probably a gizit gained whilst 'working' in SCAF etc) and RAF roundel cuff links.:rolleyes:

Pontius Navigator
18th May 2007, 19:16
BEagle, the best p:mad: s off was of course the V-force zuit suit together with the blue aircrew shirt and for the real discerning blue cotton flying boxers too complete with rubber buttons.

The flying boots were a bit awkward with the big cuffs until the '51 pattern was replaced by the '65 patter.

The only thing that you might have had to pay for was the black tie, brevet and rank braid.

toddbabe
18th May 2007, 20:12
Oh so true helpful stacker! they truly are a barometer of how nobbish some people are.

Maple 01
18th May 2007, 20:36
Following on from BEag's fashion tips

Random history lession, in the early 1980s before everyone got greens
Standard exercise dress

Girls - NBC suit with court shoes/lesbo comfy shoes and granny bag, trousers WAFF preposterous if available - nice

Boys - Wedgwood blue shirt, combat trousers/OGs/blues, wooly pully blue/green, shoes DMS/boots +putties.

Both
Bit of string round waist to hold up S6 haversack or stolen/borrowed 37/44/58 paten or US surplus web belt

For extra style points NBC suit, mark one with missing hood and strategic vent holes, helmet steel Mk IV with chinagraph witticisms/camouflage/arrow to remind wearer which way round, essence of sweat with added charcoal staining

Smart as a carrot!

Pontius Navigator
18th May 2007, 20:44
Maple, you missed two points.

Some had the 1940 pattern tin hat.

Some lucky ones had a black ring around the domed crown. Even luckier were the ones with the black spider inside which gave you a black ring around the head.

Good point about the vent holes in the Mk 1 NBC Suit. Don't forget the ost ex finger nails - blackened with charcoal.

wokkameister
18th May 2007, 21:02
This quest for knowledge was obviously posed by some blunty chisler with far, far too much time, and far, far too little to do.
It probably is laid down somewhere, bu in this day and age, I have neither the time or inclination to look it up, let alone post a thread to ask someone else.

If you can't dress yourself, and have so much time on your hands, disestablich your (presumably commissioned Flt Ops) post and go and waste an airlines oxygen.

Should this post cause offence, you know where to find me, as if I care.

WM

JessTheDog
19th May 2007, 10:43
Stable belt - good for the burgeoning wasteline, as pointed out. Also, no need for Brassoing the belt buckle on a Sunday night.

Coprorate Barclaycard, Now that was a useful thing, sadly it has been replaced by the more stringent Government Procurement Card (GPC)

I used to have a corporate Amex, and the idiots at my old unit sent me a new one after I was posted. The thought of how far away I could get and how much I could spend briefly crossed my mind....

parabellum
19th May 2007, 12:01
As your profile suggests, you don't really know what you are talking about, do you?
"RLC/R Sigs/RE/REME (delete as applicable) REMF"

In any ground operation it is the RE who go in first to clear the way, in the days of 16 Brigade, 9 Sqn, RE provided three troops, one with each battalion of Para and they dropped FIRST, you can be assured the RSigs wouldn't be far behind. Currently 16 AAB have 9 Sqn RE attached to them for the same reasons.

Now, back to stable belts, in the sixties they were a far more attractive proposition than a blancoed belt and brasses, the only alternative and were willingly bought by the troops, in the Army each Regt will have definite dress regulations about when and where to wear them - I get the impression from this thread that the RAF have a very much more relaxed attitude to dress regulations and the extent to which wearing what and when is optional?;)

Kitbag
19th May 2007, 12:10
Maple & PN, you forgot to add the dreadful flashamac to be worn when the weather became inclement. Oh and you would be 'armed' with apick axe helve.
Truly looked like a sack of doings then whilst waiting for the hordes of Spetznaz :(

TheSmiter
19th May 2007, 12:40
http://www.acesofiron.com/rotate/WW1_RFC3_Rotate.gif

Is this ok on the Sqn or just the bedroom?

JessTheDog
19th May 2007, 23:25
Maple & PN, you forgot to add the dreadful flashamac to be worn when the weather became inclement. Oh and you would be 'armed' with apick axe helve.
Truly looked like a sack of doings then whilst waiting for the hordes of Spetznaz

Alas I was too young for those days. Nevertheless, it does arouse my curiosity.

What was the issue firearm pre IW/SA-80/L91-A-whatever days? Was it pistol, SLR or SMG?

Maple 01
19th May 2007, 23:38
Jess, it was Mill Hill wot done it......

Pre 1988 Pickaxe handle No1 Mk 1, intruders for the tw*tting of

Mid 1988 SLR L1A1 and magazine containing, er, nothing, empty bang-stick, intruders for the tw*tting etc

Late 1988 SLR, historic (wood bits) or cheap (plastic furniture) and 20 rounds of ball 7.62

'and for God's sake, don't shoot anyone or lose your mag'

WAAFs initally unarmed then presented with Small Metal Gun and licence to kill - mainly their own side if range days were anything to go by (1988)

'Who the **** told you yo put the bloody thing on auto you silly cow?'

Officers armed with said SMG (and much use that was) or Browning, unlucky sods on MDF (me) got a Bren er no, sorry, LMG (light my Ar*e)

antipodean alligator
20th May 2007, 02:02
From my time in the northern climes, I reckon that the stable belt was a marvellous concept when modelled by a fit girly JO (fair enough they were in the minority compared to their larger sisters, but there were enough to keep morale high).:ok:
For foreign types such as myself, a tidy girly JO with stable belt, girly hat and lilting Pommie accent was one of the finest parts of RAF culture!;)
As for blokes wearing them I guess I'd concur with the earlier chiseller comments!

Pontius Navigator
20th May 2007, 07:26
Pre-SMG/Browning days officers got what ever was going.

At range practice is was a selection of 38 revolvers by Colt, S&W etc. Those on gnd tours got the Sten Gun. Wonderful weapon. You didn't need the trigger and the only thing about the safety catch was the 'catch'. The catch was the safety wasn't safety.

Sharp tap on the floor could fire a round whether there was on in the barrel or not, safety on or not. Even round ejection was suspect. I once got a full mag score one the target although one round did not fire first time. It only left the barrel when the next round fired. One cartridge left the breech in fragments and the other with a nice squash ring.

I never got to fire the SA80 and may have fired the SLR once. When the SMG was withdrawn I only ever got the Browning or the Walther.

Mr C Hinecap
20th May 2007, 08:20
Just to go back to the CDS picture - the beret does NOT match the stable belt and neither match the rank slides.
IMHO the wearing of a Royal Engineer beret, Royal Marine stable belt and old desert DPM so he can wear 2 rank slides is crap. Makes the man look ashamed of being RAF or a pitiful effort to endear himself to the Joint crowd.

Gaz ED
21st May 2007, 07:49
I always thought Live Armed Guards (in the RAF) were introduced after the Tern Hill bombing. Was at Cosford at the time, oooh! what a panic!

Wader2
21st May 2007, 09:16
Just to go back to the CDS picture - the beret does NOT match the stable belt and neither match the rank slides.
IMHO the wearing of a Royal Engineer beret, Royal Marine stable belt and old desert DPM so he can wear 2 rank slides is crap. Makes the man look ashamed of being RAF or a pitiful effort to endear himself to the Joint crowd.

Charismatic old chap, charismatic,just like Monty.:)

BEagle
21st May 2007, 09:32
"Pre-SMG/Browning days officers got what ever was going."

It must have confused you rather, PN, when they stopped ramming lead balls in the open end of the muzzle....:p

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/yepiftole.jpg

Ye olde navigator's pistole

Roland Pulfrew
21st May 2007, 09:33
To add an aviation angle to this, CDS's manner of wearing a stable belt has exicted comment over on t'army means:
http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/6C3F1137-27F5-4A13-8AC1-BBA3623824A6/0/HQMNDSE2007071023.jpg
Not least since it appears to be an RM stable belt...

Is the Iraqi in the background trying to stop himself from creasing up (along the lines of the Biggus Dickus scene in Monty Python's Life of Brian) at the mismatch of uniform that CDS appears to be wearing?:E:E

BEagle
21st May 2007, 09:45
Isn't that handshake a bit.....masonic?

The 'brotherly grip' thing??

Wader2
21st May 2007, 10:08
Course it is probably a true tri-service costume with a link to the civil service even:

RN Beret,
Civvie surplus DPM,
RAF rannk slides
Army belt,

and to round it off, as already identified. a masonic handshake to represent the grey suit contractors.

27mm
21st May 2007, 10:19
Sorry if this has already been covered, but at least one RAF person was severely injured in a car crash by the large metal "slider" on the belt. During the impact it was forced up into the victim's abdominal area due to interaction with the seat belt.

Wader2
21st May 2007, 11:46
27mm, gulp.

I also never sit cross legged as a passenger. Our National Service Doc lecturer told of this chap whose thigh was dislocated at the hip when the car crashed.

PhoenixDaCat
24th May 2007, 04:22
I don't suppose any of you would like to visit http://www.aircadetcentral.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7676 and point out to the staff and cadets what walts they are, in your usual no nonsense style!

Many are getting excited at the wearing of a Royal Air Force buckle!

Pontius Navigator
24th May 2007, 06:16
Phoenix, I suggest there is a world of difference.
Scouts collect badges, some armed forces collect medals. I guess it is just a British thing to rubbish attempts such as the buckle - why did it take 40 years to realise that the present belt and buckle were unpopular simply because the fastening was on the side and the uniform did not suit it?

Added, having browsed a few of the pages on that link, I think it could be merged with the one here and you would not know the difference.

diginagain
24th May 2007, 06:29
ISTR spending a fair bit of beer, sorry fizzy-pop money on a Stable Belt on my first ATC summer camp, if only in a feeble attempt to smarten up the serge BD trouser - shirt combo. But then we all did. Teenagers and fashion trends, or a stab at uniformity? Yes, there was some puzzlement about which way up it was supposed to be worn, but a few shouty words soon put us straight.:ouch:

Reg Bitch
24th May 2007, 20:34
"Does anybody know the exact configuration of how the good old stable belt should be worn..?"

Well...

The Summer camp season for the ATC starts in 8 weeks,

I'm sure THEY'LL be able to tell you how to wear the uniform of the Royal Air Force! :D

But for the record,

The blue band goes on top (blue to sky)
The leather "buckle" goes on the left hip

And it doesn't matter where the silver bar goes
(although it looks much smarter when inline with the buttons of the shirt)

Regards,

Reg Bitch. :ok:

Safety_Helmut
24th May 2007, 20:54
Kn0b !

extra letters added to make the message long enough

Reg Bitch
24th May 2007, 21:00
"It doesn't really matter which way round/up you wear it, you'll still look a complete and utter pretentios c0ck !"

My response was still more helpful than yours :rolleyes:

At least I know how to wear the damn thing :D

samuraimatt
24th May 2007, 21:57
At least I know how to wear the damn thing

What does that tell everybody?

RETDPI
25th May 2007, 08:01
As above: Kn0b !

DH98
25th May 2007, 10:47
So Reg-Bitch gone running back to the playground to your waltish mates claiming a victory have you from what I see from your post on www.mickymousewaltermitties.net?

Done!!

edit- i love the response
Air Training Corps.

Do you feel good now, you big brave little soldier - C0ck!:mad:

claude liardet
25th May 2007, 17:05
If wearing a stable belt is enough to make you a knob, then what does actually having a knobbish personality make you? Merely disliked by the scruffy?
I'm astounded that this subject arouses so much passion. A lot of posters on this thread must have been denied soft toys as children. Or perhaps they still are children...

RETDPI
25th May 2007, 18:45
C Liar D = a Rock
Q.E.D.

Reg Bitch
25th May 2007, 22:28
"So Reg-Bitch gone running back to the playground to your waltish mates claiming a victory have you from what I see from your post on www.mickymousewaltermitties.net? (http://www.mickymousewaltermitties.net/?)

Done!!

edit- i love the response
Air Training Corps.

Do you feel good now, you big brave little soldier - C0ck!:mad:"

Lol!

I was simply amazed that no one on here was initially capable of answering the guys question (as you will also see by my previous posts on the forum).
And to be fair, it was a pretty simple question dispite the slight spelling error.

However, after being challenged by pm to write the above i felt i little joke couldn't hurt anyone!
Obviously got a few hypocrites worked up, even when they themselves couldn't resist having a dig at the gentleman who posed the initial question.

And yes, it was a victory, because a few of you being as immature as you are bit the bate far too easily.

In the real world people will take the mick, get over it.

At least i have the desency to answer the mans question in the end, proving my post not to be melicious, just in good heart.

I apologise if i have upset anyone...

And to be fair, the guys on this forum are quick to dig at us...

"I don't suppose any of you would like to visit http://www.aircadetcentral.net/forum...pic.php?t=7676 (http://www.aircadetcentral.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7676) and point out to the staff and cadets what walts they are, in your usual no nonsense style!

Many are getting excited at the wearing of a Royal Air Force buckle!"

Am i offended?
No...

I just laugh it off!

And you should too!

Ciao for now,

Reg Bitch :ok:

cobracav
5th Nov 2007, 16:15
Blue goes up as in the sky for Air Force. buckle at the front straps at your left side. No go away and get mummy to do it for you.!!!:D

goudie
5th Nov 2007, 16:40
God knows how you lot would cope with the full webbing kit. Probably couldn't.............I never did!

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
5th Nov 2007, 17:07
Reg Bitch
The blue band goes on top (blue to sky)
The leather "buckle" goes on the left hip
And it doesn't matter where the silver bar goes
(although it looks much smarter when inline with the buttons of the shirt)

If the leather "buckle" goes on the left hip then the silver bar goes where it goes... It can only line up with the buttons of the shirt by chance.

Now get a life.

K.Whyjelly
5th Nov 2007, 21:06
From an earlier posting ; "This particular bit of buffoonery really came in during the early 70's when the Rock Apes' star was in the ascendant".

And talking of Rocks, a friend of mine was asked a question a few nights ago (I guess it was a pretty dull night conversation wise) about RAF Regiment stable belts in the late 60's or early 70's. The question posed was did the Regiment at that time have/ wear a blue stable belt with two white stripes on it???

Any body with a memory or the inclination to answer feel free to do so ;)

RAFAT
5th Nov 2007, 22:18
If the leather "buckle" goes on the left hip then the silver bar goes where it goes... It can only line up with the buttons of the shirt by chance.

Incorrect, the buckle can be moved.

Personally, I think lightweight No2 trousers, stable belt, short-sleeved shirt and chip bag looks quite smart; and there's nowt wrong in looking smart. :ok:

Maxibon
6th Nov 2007, 10:23
The pattern to which you refer may have been the 17/21 Lancers.

Wader2
6th Nov 2007, 10:28

Personally, I think lightweight No2 trousers, stable belt, short-sleeved shirt and chip bag looks quite smart; and there's nowt wrong in looking smart. :ok:

Nah! The buckle doesn't move. It is the stomach that moves.

It were central when I bought it, now it rides on the hip.:}

philrigger
6th Nov 2007, 13:41
;)
RAFAT

Not on mine mate!

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

Climebear
7th Nov 2007, 08:37
So many posts dedicated to something so trivial.

RAF Dress Regs are availaible on this interweb thingy: AP1358 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/structure/uniforms.cfm)
To save you the bother of trawling through this 'wonderful read'; below are the relevent sections refering to the Stable Belt:

0139. Stable Belts/Female Money Belts (Optional Extras). The only recognised stable belts permitted for wear with uniform are the RAF, the RAF Regt and RAFP stable belts. All styles of belt are optional extras, available for male and female, and purchased at private expense. Additionally, females may continue to wear the approved ‘optional’ blue woven money (purse) belt. Unless otherwise ordered, stable belts or female money belts may only be worn with No 2A, 2B, 7A and 7B SD only. Stable belts may be worn with CS95, but only as “barrack wear”, when in the field it is not to be worn. Stable belts and money belts are not to be worn outside of jerseys or jackets at any time.

0218. Belts. The blue/grey issue belt is to worn with No 2A, 2B and 2C SD. Optionally, unless otherwise ordered, authorised pattern stable belts may be worn (See Para 0139). When stable belts are worn, the dark stripe is to be uppermost; the fastenings of the RAF Stable belt are to be secured over the left hip. Stable belts are not to be worn outside a jersey.

Can we stop this now?

pikeyeng
9th Nov 2007, 19:08
:( so sad!! Grow bag and t-shirt straight out of the tumble drier boots that were black about 10 years ago and a chip hat worn at a jaunty angle just to p$$s the SWO off, smart as you like. :cool:

Fuzzwuppet
18th Jun 2008, 14:22
Hi all,
Seen a few questions on how to wear the stable belt

The RAF stable belt is now available in two versions, the old one with leather buckles, and the new onw with the nice shiny RAF buckle.

Both versions are worn with the blue part of the band uppermost. The old one is worn with the leather buckles on the left hip. It does not matter where the silver tensioner loop is worn as its use is to adjust for the size of waist of the wearer and therefore will not always sit in the middle of the waist.
The new version is pretty much self evident on how to wear it, the main buckle the right way up worn in the middle of the waist, easy enough.

Safety_Helmut
18th Jun 2008, 15:05
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ! :{

diginagain
18th Jun 2008, 17:03
The new version is pretty much self evident on how to wear it,......

Just as well, really.:p

Fire 'n' Forget
18th Jun 2008, 19:10
Chip Hat, Stable Belt, Tie Pin and Cufflinks = Muppet :ok:

The Helpful Stacker
18th Jun 2008, 21:09
Fire 'n' Forget - In the Supply world they are the identifiers of the SCAF warrior or the 'would sell their own mother for a promotion' types who must not be trusted standing behind you with sharp impliements in their hands.
Avoid such people at all costs.

The Helpful Stacker
18th Jun 2008, 21:32
Hardly!
This chap called endex on the RAF game last year. I found the fun of playing with 'promotion at all costs' types somewhat tiresome eventually.
I preferred to enjoy my job and take promotion when it came rather than spend every waking moment chasing it. When I stopped enjoying my job it was time to leave.

noregrets
19th Jun 2008, 12:12
Cufflinks with single-cuff shirts? How very below stairs. Or has Remploy at last started to produce Wedgewood shirts with French cuffs and Windsor collars with removeable collar-bones, as per my disastrous GEMS suggestion?

Gainesy
19th Jun 2008, 16:04
Always thought stable belts and chipbags were for complete tossers, nice to see my theory still holds good some 30 years later.:)

V-neck sweaters and Thunderbird jackets, now there's a debate.

side salad
19th Jun 2008, 19:14
I am glad this issue has been debated, I have been wearing mine around my willy for 19 years, clearly a mistake. I wondered why the belt was so big.:)